Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2001 kia sportage 1999 dodge 2500 8.0L V10
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my step-neph and I were going to change the plugs and wires on his 01 sportage 2wd and it's been nothing but a hiccup every where we turn. I'll start at the top.

So upon removing all the blahs blahs to get to the valve cover to be able to access the plugs and wires it was noticed that plug boot 3 and 4 were covered in oil and plug boot 2 had a white ashy looking substance all over it. So we removed in valve cover to access the plugs and 3&4 are sitting in oil. Like oil up to the top of the plug post. As mentioned #2 all around the plug was a white ashy something. I pulled # 1 & 2 and went to go get something to soak up the oil and by time I've returned the other two had been removed and he allowed all that oil to fall through under the plug. I'd say between the two ports there was probably a decent cup of oil. Moving forward, after getting all the parts and what have yous, time to put it back together. All the plugs go in no problem cept #2. It literally like sank. Didn't catch thread,nothin. So after rethreading the hole and fitting the plug with an adapter everything seated. So we get it back together all the way and notice that it doesn't appear that the coil boots are making any contact with the plugs so anti fouls were added to the plugs in question to give them a little more height. Finally get it together again and go to start it and it's running like almighty shit. Whole engine shakes. What can I tell him? I as well am at a loss. Help is appreciated greatly

·
Registered
2011 Forte SX 2.4L (thankfully MPI) A/T 144K miles
1,318 Posts
What's the part number of the plugs that were in the engine previously, and the ones you just installed?

·
Registered
2011 Forte SX 2.4L (thankfully MPI) A/T 144K miles
1,318 Posts
The first thing that comes to mind is wires connected to the wrong locations. But if the wires are properly aligned, then perhaps the new COPs are the problem. The new plugs are correct, so it would seem that the coil packs are the only other possibility if there's a connectivity issue. You didn't mention how it was running before the work was done, so I'm assuming it had been running much better than it is right now. If that's correct, you might want to remove the anti-foulers and try the old COPs to see if it runs ok with them. Sounds like a previous owner had stripped out #2, and installed an insert at some point in the past?

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
632 Posts
You say you did this, and I hope you did not..
The spark plug wells were filled with oil, which can happen. You loosened the plugs and let the oil into the cylinder....
DO NOT loosen the plugs and let the oil into the cylinder.
SUCK the oil out with a shop vac or equiv.
REASON: If you drop all the oil and gunk into the cylinder, good chance of hydra-lock occuring and severe bottom end engine damage when you try to fire her up. (bent rod, damaged bearing, damaged piston) At the very least you will foul your new plugs when they try to burn the oil.
Did a OBDII light come up? If so, what was the code?

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
+ w/ recheckng firing order / work. Coil packs (CP) are mounted so the bottom (short HT leads) are on #2, and #4 cylinders (closest to firewall). #1 connects to CP on #4 cylinder, #3 connects to CP, on #2 cylinder. *If not installed correctly, the short HT leads will not properly contact the plugs / fit properly.

Each short HT lead should have a 5k ohm resistor in-line w/ the spring from the CP lead base -> to the cap which contacts the spark plug. If the resistor is missing, etc - it will shorten the life of the CP.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had the same issue on my 2000. Did you replace the valve cover gasket? You might also want to remove those plugs and try to get the oil out of the cylinder. Raise the pistons on each cylinder to top dead center and suck the oil out with a turkey baster or similar item. If the plugs on those cylinders are covered with oil from inside the cylinder, they are probably not firing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts