Kia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 EX w/ Convenience & ISG
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The '13 R5 EX trailered in yesterday and may have ISG. After seeing all the components and the fact I do 100% highway miles, I get nothing for my $400 and I don't want the future liability. The battery is at least $265, never mind the secondary electric oil pump.

I can't see an upside to taking the car. There's no contract.

Or wait another 6 weeks (if KIA takes the request) for the dealer to get my order right. Maybe another dealer.

What do you all think?

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,410 Posts
What are you looking for specifically? What options? I know its off subject from your post, but I'm just curious why its taking so long to find and receive the vehicle you want.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio 5-Door LX
301 Posts
I guess it is a matter of preference. If you want the car badly go for it. On the other side I see your point with the ISG. It would not improve fuel economy in your case but the costs add up.
I'm just glad I got the very basic LX m/t model. There Kia won't deliver any unwanted packages because they don't offer any (although I wished they would offer it with the power package).

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What are you looking for specifically? What options? I know its off subject from your post, but I'm just curious why its taking so long to find and receive the vehicle you want.
Its simple. Late April, I had a purchase order for a '12 R5 w/ convenience in white & black. None to be found. He rolled me over to a '13 same specs, same price. No problem.

But now he mentions it'll come w/ ISG. Don't want it. We'll find out today.

I'll have my decision tree by then :)

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,410 Posts
I know that we have some on the lot, EX/5 door(i think) with conv. package, but not white. How far out did the dealer search when they located yours?

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
If the dealer is offering the 13 with ISG at the 12 price and it has everything else you wanted then why wouldn't you take it? Since you didn't order ISG they shouldn't make you pay for it. If they won't honor that then walk away and try another dealer. As for having ISG, you can turn the it off and leave it off.

I can understand your concerns over ISG since it already delayed delivery of the 13 models due to problems. My 13 doesn't have it and I'm ok with that.

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 SX Navi, it be Black Pearl... argh matey!
131 Posts
If the dealer is offering the 13 with ISG at the 12 price and it has everything else you wanted then why wouldn't you take it? Since you didn't order ISG they shouldn't make you pay for it. If they won't honor that then walk away and try another dealer. As for having ISG, you can turn the it off and leave it off.

I can understand your concerns over ISG since it already delayed delivery of the 13 models due to problems. My 13 doesn't have it and I'm ok with that.
I agree with this line of thinking... completely. If it's not costing you anything extra for the ISG, plus you're getting a car one model year newer... it's really a no-brainer. Especially since you can just turn off ISG and never use it (hence limiting any future liabilities).

·
Registered
2014 Abyss Blue Kia Forte EX Sedan
180 Posts
The long and the short of it is, it's a desision that you will have to make and inevitably live with. If its not exactly how you want it then you need to deside it it's something you can be happy with. When I bought mine, I did really want silver but it was going to be that or black since I didn't want to wait to order and I didn't want to wait to get another one from another dealer. I made the desision that I could live with the silver more then the black.

What I don't understand is your statement that it would be used 100% highway driving. That seems a bit impossible to me To avoid ever driving in the city or at the vary least some stop and go traffic. That being said, I'm glad I bought a 2012 so I don't have to deal with ISG, I just don't see any value in it.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Yeah, I live a block off the expressway, drive 50 miles, and work is 1 block off. I park my little Scion xA daily driver on the weekends and haul stuff with the Liberty as needed. I know its a rare situation. I put on 33,000 mile a year.

I think we settled on the car. It did come as spec'd but with ISG. I got '13 invoice again and extras thrown in. Same deal as before but the numbers went up a bit thanks to ISG and 2013 price increase.

I think the whole problem was it was presented as an 'option'. Every EX with convenience now comes with ISG. You're gonna take the option whether you want it or not. It'll be a long time before the factory starts making EX and SX without ISG. I know its not absolute, but there'll be alooooong wait to get one without and I'm running out of antacid.

I'll just say this in closing. I'm not perfectly happy with the car having a potentially problematic option but it is extremely hard to build a car ala carte. If there's problems with the ISG then I'll just whine and take it up the $$$ "Liar, Liar" style just like so many will.

On the flipside, it looks to be a great, well equipped car. And I've got 4 new Goodyear Assurance Comfortread Touring ready to go on and a set of Weathertech mats for fitting. Anyone need a new set of factory take-offs?

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio5 EX UVO
51 Posts
Glad my EX I purchased on June first didn't have the ISG. It was a 2013, also. It was listed as an option, not mandatory on the EX?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The lot of the first R5s went to Orlando and other tourist locations for rentals and most of those were non-ISG. Too confusing for the international drivers and the companies don't want options that generate calls in foreign languages - says my contact with a big rental group there.

Thought about getting mine down there but it was a thousand miles of high speed driving on a new engine to bring it home.

·
Registered
Accord, stick
206 Posts
I do not understand why all the fuss? You can TURN OFF ISG and it will NEVER engage for the life of car.
They only issue I see is that you signed for one price but when delivered it was another one no matter what options it has.
If I buy item A for $X and am waiting for delivery and when delivered it cost $X+$Y then it is no deal but legal theft. And I do not care for the reasons of price increase.

·
Registered
2012 Black Kia Rio5 SX w/ Nav, 2005 Honda Odyssey EX
190 Posts
@Daddy-O, have you considered asking the dealer to meet you half way? Perhaps throw in some "free" oil changes? Just a thought. I agree the dealer should honor the original price, for what it's worth.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio EX, 5-door, Midnight Sapphire
13 Posts
Glad to hear you pulled the trigger. Looking forward to seeing the mudflaps once installed, if you're still planning to put them on.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts