Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sorry no pics, but Friday was the Sorentos 1st outing in the snow up here in Edinburgh. We only had 2 or 3 inches but the difference from my previous car (Ford Galaxy) was amazing. The Galaxy used to just sit and spin as soon as the ground got white. We have an incline to negotiate to get onto the main road and the Sorento didn't even spin a wheel. Magic !!!! :460:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i'm glad the sorento performed well as we could be in for a rough winter, dont have much snow in cardiff during the winter not like you lucky scots hope we have a good snow storm down here to se how she performes have a good xmas regards phil :beer:

·
Registered
2005 Sorento ex v6 automatic
537 Posts
well, we had snow today only a couple of inches but i am sure in the next couple of mounths we will get more then the sorento will get put through the "snow test"

it passed the "New Jersey sugar sand" test very well. this dry granular sand is also known as "New Jersey quick sand" due to it's ablity so swallow SUV's up to their frame in seconds

the deepest i have tried to go through this stuff is about 8 to 10 inch deep tire ruts in the stuff and that is the limit

most so called SUV's with AWD and an open rear end would never have made it

now if only my sorento did not have the unreliable 3.5 liter engine.......!

·
Registered
car
4,209 Posts
I dont have any pics from last winter when I had my Sorento but it was a blast in the snow. Im beginning to really miss it now. When ever we would get a snow storm I would go out and find roads that were not plowed yet and throw it in 4wd and have fun. It is one great vehicle in the snow.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sorento EX V6
198 Posts
last winter I was out in our boxing day storm where the snow was halfway up the doors and I have to tell you the Sorento pushed threw it like nothing. Talk about FUN! I wish I would have had my camera I would have had to climb out the window because I could open the door! Thing was like a tank in the snow. I won't let that happen this year...Camera is staying in the sorento, Can't wait for the first big storm!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well..I'v been through 2 snows of 8+ inches this season so far...The first owning a KIA..and I can say I am happy. Even without 4wd engaged my 2005 EX seems to track in the snow very well. On inclines covered with packed snow I don't get the standard rwd rear tires spinning.. And in 4 WD no problems at all!!

The only improvment would be to either move the 4wd Selector knob to a higher location or have it be locking Push in and turn type. I keep hitting it with my knee and engaing LOW gear by accident.

·
Registered
car
4,209 Posts
Originally posted by rjpear@Dec 5 2005, 08:44 PM
The only improvment would be to either move the 4wd Selector knob to a higher location or have it be locking Push in and turn type. I keep hitting it with my knee and engaing LOW gear by accident.
4 low actually doesnt engage unless you put the vehicle in neutral then turn the dial to 4 low then put it in gear.

·
Registered
2005 Kia Sorento
39 Posts
This will probably sound funny to some of you. We got our first snow in southeast Kansas last night, less than 2 inches. The roads were somewhat slick this morning, hardpacked snow covering them.

The Sorrento did great. This was the first time in many years I had driven a rear wheel drive in this type of condition. I did break the rear end loose one time shifting from second to third but that was my lack of skill with the 5-speed.

I threw it in 4-wheel drive a couple of times, wasn't real sure I needed to though on the hardpack. I hope we get more snow soon.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Does the "sorento" have a diff lock?? - I dont think so??

Tried to tow somebody out of snow and all I did was to spin the wheels

Jonathan

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for all your replys seems like you all had a great time hope you will post pics when you get the next snow fall :beer:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts