Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Kia Sportage 4 door
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have an 02 Sportage 166,000 miles. Base 4 door model. The fuse for the tail lights and gauge lights keeps blowing. Today I attempted to put in a stronger fuse. After this there was an electronic burning smell from the back passenger side. It also will not start now. I suspect it's the fuel pump relay. Anyone have suggestions of what is causing the wiring issue?

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
377 Posts
You have a short in the wiring harness which controls that particular circuit. Never install a larger fuse, tin foil, or 22 Cal round in place of the proper fuse. Doing so will melt the wiring harness and potentially start a fire. Overheating the wires took out additional wires. Best to seek professional help at this point. Good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you know the area where the burning smell was, you could start there. Look for burned wires which will have to be repaired or replaced. If you decide to tackle this yourself, a good wiring diagram will be essential. If you replace a wire or section of wire, NEVER use a wire of smaller diameter or "gauge." Use a wire of equal size or even slightly larger is okay. After the wiring is complete, you will still have to find the short. Using an ohm meter, with the fuse absent from the circuit, connect the ground lead to a good known ground - I recommend using a long jumper wire connected directly to the battery negative terminal. Probe each wire with the red lead. The wire that is shorted to ground will cause the reading to move from infinity to 0. Trace this wire to see where it goes. I suspect by your description that the problem circuit is the tail light on that side of the vehicle. Take a good look at the socket where the bulb sits and also the bulb itself. I have seen the filament in bulbs break and fall down, touching the base, which causes the short to ground. Keep probing the suspect wire while you check things out, when the needle goes back to infinity, you have found the short. Repair the wire, socket, or replace the bulb. Don't forget to check the other wires inside that section of harness, if your fuel pump is not working, the heat from the shorted wire may have burned the fuel pump wire and others with it.

·
Registered
Sportage Limited 2001
179 Posts
Kind of hard to put the smoke back into those wires. You can also use you meter set for the buzzer to go off. Keeps from looking at the meter all the time.

2001 Kia Sportage Limited 2X2 USA

·
Registered
Sportage Limited 2001
179 Posts
Shorts to ground or positive is fairly easy to work on, work on one rats have chewed harnesses up and miss a foot or so of wiring. Those take some time.

2001 Kia Sportage Limited 2X2 USA

·
Registered
2002 Kia Sportage 4 door
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update-
Thanks for the advice everyone! I've actually pulled out the wiring loom in the back and found a clump of wires melted together in the loom that goes between the two tail lights. My question is it possible to replace that whole loom? Or do I have to re wire it?

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
377 Posts
Give your local kia parts department a call. Explain what occured and ask if they carry a splice in harness kit. Good luck!

·
Registered
'96 Camry v6 XLE, '00 Camry LE
2,191 Posts
On the US model 1G Sportage - IIRC the wiring is continuous - there are no "connectors" separating the tail section <-> from the front.

Suggest cutting out the affected section on either side back to clean copper wire: and splicing in new wiring, using appropriate connectors, soldering, electrical tape, .. and covering the repaired areas w/ wiring loom, to ensure a durable repair.

*Also suggest checking ground point G400(?) at the back left (driver side US) tail lamp assembly for any charring / resistance / etc. - if compromised, I would just run a (new) ground wire from the affected part of the loom over to that ground point, if it was here.

If there was any (aftermarket) trailer wiring installed @ the back tail lamp area - rip it out / do not repair, or re-use. Replace any aftermarket (trailer wiring) w/ new wiring, as needed.

You should also visually inspect -all- lighting / lamp bulbs / bulb sockets involved in the circuit for discoloration, filament breakage, corrosion, shorting, etc., along w/ each bulb connector: address, repair or replace as needed.

If the damage found becomes extensive, ie: "above-and-beyond" what's already been found, Lou O.'s suggestion of portioning in a partial wiring harness assembly, from dealer or salvage yard .. is an excellent idea.

Kudos for tracing down the short, best wishes for a speedy repair.

·
Registered
2002 Kia Sportage 4 door
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks so much for the help everyone! So I made a call to my local Kia dealer and the told me I can order a new loom that just runs between the two headlights they called a rear bumper cord. However, the part is discontinued. The part number is 0k08a67060. Im on the hunt for that. however, in the meantime I was just going to see if I can get it running so I took out the tail light fuse all together. I replace the two relays but now the 15 amp main relay fuse keeps blowing every time I put a new fuse in it. The car will not run it will crank over but it will not run. Any ideas on how to fix this?

·
Registered
'96 Camry v6 XLE, '00 Camry LE
2,191 Posts
Hi all, I have an 02 Sportage 166,000 miles. Base 4 door model. The fuse for the tail lights and gauge lights keeps blowing.
Today I attempted to put in a stronger fuse.
After this there was an electronic burning smell from the back passenger side. It also will not start now.
I suspect it's the fuel pump relay. Anyone have suggestions of what is causing the wiring issue?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts