Kia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

when shooting windshield washer, it smells in the car, as if some passes through air vents on bottom of windshield. Have others noted this? I think it will happen if air blows in the defogger, and the smell can be very noticeable, however I'm not getting splatters in the face, that would be the cherry on top!

·
Registered
Kia Sedona 2020 SX
2 Posts
Same here
Hi,

when shooting windshield washer, it smells in the car, as if some passes through air vents on bottom of windshield. Have others noted this? I think it will happen if air blows in the defogger, and the smell can be very noticeable, however I'm not getting splatters in the face, that would be the cherry on top!
same here, it seems like air freshener has been sprayed into the cabin.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
217 Posts
Normal operation. Air is drawn in the cowl area below the wipers. If any washer fluid is being sprayed the vapors will enter the vehicle via this route. Won't kill you. But, have you inspected and changed your in cabin air filter lately?

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sedona LX
5 Posts
I notice this as well. I turn on the air circulation option before using the fluid to wash my windshield and the smell doesn't enter the cabin.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, I should probably change it however I got a service done at Dealership and think I got them to at least change the engine's filter

Concerning the washing liquid smell, I think the best way I can avoid it is turning the vents off while spraying some. Never got this on any car before, but at least it is not anti-freeze that's being splashed in our airways!

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
217 Posts
Can't image my cabin filter being an issue as I've only had the car for a two months.
Your not the originator of this thread......if you want to start a new thread in regards to the same subject feel free!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im fine with him asking here, but not sure about the forum rules!

however, it wouldnt be the cabin filter if all the other Sedona's get it too... I'm pretty sure at least some are changing the cabin filter on time! Clogged cabin filter symptoms would be old smells, bad air flow, etc, no?

·
Registered
09 kia spectra ex,04 Neon,04 Chry. T&C, 08 Pontiac G6 gt
1,937 Posts
Im fine with him asking here, but not sure about the forum rules!

however, it wouldnt be the cabin filter if all the other Sedona's get it too... I'm pretty sure at least some are changing the cabin filter on time! Clogged cabin filter symptoms would be old smells, bad air flow, etc, no?
You are correct about the cabin filter and "smells". BUT most replacement filter makers offer upgraded carbon activated filters for those with "sensitive senses", seeing as all intake ventilation air is drawn thru it...it may alleviate the smell of the washer solvent should you decide to try that approach.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You are correct about the cabin filter and "smells". BUT most replacement filter makers offer upgraded carbon activated filters for those with "sensitive senses", seeing as all intake ventilation air is drawn thru it...it may alleviate the smell of the washer solvent should you decide to try that approach.
now I see why, after all i noticed the problem late in owner ship, and it may be the original cabin air filter. Ill look into buying as you say, one that filters more the smells and see if I still smell the windshield washer... thanks you all, will update with a new filter and after I tried to
replicate the problem!

·
Registered
'16 Sedona SX, '09 Genesis
153 Posts
FWIW, the charcoal filter only partially work and only for a very short amount of time before all the tiny cavities are all filled with hydrocarbons or whatever gets trapped inside. I've bought them a few times but don't bother paying extra for them anymore.

I too noticed the Sedona is particularly bad with the windshield washer fluid smell. Or it could just be that the mfrs of these fluid are formulating them differently nowadays. I noticed my wife's brand new 2018 Fiat 500X is the same way too. I have not sampled enough newer cars to know one way or another. I just don't remember any of our previous vehicles, including many Kia/Hyundai, smelling this strong.

·
Registered
'16 Sedona SX, '09 Genesis
153 Posts
Oh, forgot to mention... for those who live in warmer parts, one way to reduce the smell is to get 32F rated washer fluids instead of 0F or lower. Those have much less alcohol content, which is used as the anti-freeze and solvent.

Of course, that only works during the months when you don't expect the ambient temp to drop anywhere close to 32F.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm using the winter style all year, so that's another good point! I found out this summer, that a beading treatment on the windows really saves on those washing fluids...

·
Registered
Sportage 2018 LX AWD with Premium Package
11 Posts
I noticed that with my new Sportage last winter. When I got the wiper fluid replaced the problem went away. It seems KIA just uses a very strong washer fluid.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts