Kia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just got a 2014 kia Sorento SX. The dealer installed a free remote start. The problem I have is now I only have one smart key because they needed the other transmitter to keep in the car for the remote start to work. And they informed me that you cant program more than 2 smart keys.Does this sound correct I have a new car with one key if I lose that on vacation Im screwed. Please advise.

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
828 Posts
Whether you lose a key or not depends on the make and model of alarm and how it interfaces to the Sorento. There are interface modules that do not require a key and some that do. I have a remote start in mine and did not lose a key. It probably costs more, don't know. For the one installed by your dealer, it must require a key.

FYI, I have a Viper 5902, I think, and a db-all that is hard wired was installed. Tried the data-to-data mode and it was not always working. The wire-to-wire mode has always worked.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento, Suzuki V-Strom
506 Posts
The dealer installed a free remote start. The problem I have is now I only have one smart key because they needed the other transmitter to keep in the car for the remote start to work.
Go back and tell them that this is unacceptable. Tell them that you require two smart keys AND a remote start that works AND the price stays the same.

Sigh. Free remote start and worth every penny.

My KIA remote start has its own key fob and does not require that the smart key be in the car. Or I don't think it does. I never use the remote start and can't think of any time that I'd use it. Even if we lived in frigid winter regions, I'd put an engine heater on the car and preheat the car that way. Cheaper--burn less gas. Cleaner exhaust when starting.

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 K5 GT Line
4,774 Posts
Go back and tell them that this is unacceptable. Tell them that you require two smart keys AND a remote start that works AND the price stays the same.

Sigh. Free remote start and worth every penny.

My KIA remote start has its own key fob and does not require that the smart key be in the car. Or I don't think it does. I never use the remote start and can't think of any time that I'd use it. Even if we lived in frigid winter regions, I'd put an engine heater on the car and preheat the car that way. Cheaper--burn less gas. Cleaner exhaust when starting.
He said it was a FREE remote start kit, meaning they went aftermarket, much cheaper for them. And that is why the a/m company needed the key to bypass the keyless module. He can have the dealership make an extra key cheap.

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 12 Sedona LX
1,413 Posts
If the key fob that stays in the vehicle is still programmed to the car, then there is no point in getting another fob because only a max of 2 can programmed. This remote start system they installed sounds kind of hinky, and any problems that could possibly arise from it would not be covered by warranty. I would try and get them to install a Kia system, at least then it would work properly, it would be covered by warranty, and you would have 2 keys.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I called around to places that install and apparently there is nothing compatable as of yet for the 2014. I called the dealer and they said they might have a solution in a day or two. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX AWD V6 Limited/Panoramic
420 Posts
Companies like Directed (Viper, etc) and Audiovox have a module that is programmed so you don't need to use one of your smart keys. This is the one from Directed:
Databus All Interface Module
This assumes that the firmware includes your car.

If not, then you would have to do what the dealer did, to make remote start work.

·
Registered
2012 Sorento EX 2.4 GDI
171 Posts
So on this whole smart key thing...If I leave my key in the car, can I just walk up to it an open it? How does it recognize it is on my person vs sitting on the driver door ledge? Can I actually lock my smart key in my car?

Curious...I only got one key with my 2012 so I haven't "tested" this...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You cannot lock you keys in the car because the sensors pick it up and the car emits a tone letting you know the keys are in it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The one they installed is a Audiovox prestige, but its not really comparable. You start the car but when you go to the car and unlock it the car turns off, then you have to get in and push the button on the dash to start it again. It's just extra wear and tear on the starter.

·
Registered
2012 Sorento EX 2.4 GDI
171 Posts
You cannot lock you keys in the car because the sensors pick it up and the car emits a tone letting you know the keys are in it.
I don't understand...I know it emits a tone if I walk away from my car with the keys in my pocket while it is running, but if the key is in the car and it is running, and I walk away and lock the door by accident or to let it idle/warm up in the winter, how does it recognize I am not in the car and not lock me out? And does the key in the car allow me to just walk up to the handle and open it, running or not?

I guess I will test it with the window down...

·
Registered
2012 Sorento EX 2.4 GDI
171 Posts
K. so tested the following...
Get in car, turn it on, leave key on the door rest, roll window down, open door and reach in to lock door...won't lock it unless you reach in and push the lock door button on the door handle

So, doesn't seem like you can lock yourself out without purposefully trying. Also, if it is locked and running with the smart key inside the car, it will not let you open the door from the outside.

Perhaps many of you already new that but I had to learn for myself:)

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sorento EX V6 Luxury
89 Posts
I have two working Smart Keys with my 2 remote start fobs also. It was the same way when I had my 2012 Sorento, 4 working fobs. Go Back

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sorento EX V6 Luxury
89 Posts
K. so tested the following...
Get in car, turn it on, leave key on the door rest, roll window down, open door and reach in to lock door...won't lock it unless you reach in and push the lock door button on the door handle

So, doesn't seem like you can lock yourself out without purposefully trying. Also, if it is locked and running with the smart key inside the car, it will not let you open the door from the outside.

Perhaps many of you already new that but I had to learn for myself:)
Tried this also. The thing is if you start it and walk away with the key someone can hop in and drive off.

·
Registered
2012 Sorento EX 2.4 GDI
171 Posts
Tried this also. The thing is if you start it and walk away with the key someone can hop in and drive off.
But when they turn the car off, they can't restart it. I don't ever do this, I was just curious about this Smart Key in the hands of me, a dumb owner.

·
Registered
SORENTO 2012 V6 EX AWD SUNROOF MOONROOF
116 Posts
But when they turn the car off, they can't restart it. I don't ever do this, I was just curious about this Smart Key in the hands of me, a dumb owner.

Apparently it will switch to Limp mode. (Which will most likely make the thief think it's a bait car and bolt)

·
Registered
264 Posts
I would MAKE them remove that remote start, if not call KIA. You may be stuck with warranty issues with a "non-KIA" remote start. You need two keys, and at $300 per key, they are not cheap ! They did a gimmick to sell their cars .. get out if it before you have problems with it.

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 K5 GT Line
4,774 Posts
I would MAKE them remove that remote start, if not call KIA. You may be stuck with warranty issues with a "non-KIA" remote start. You need two keys, and at $300 per key, they are not cheap ! They did a gimmick to sell their cars .. get out if it before you have problems with it.
It's not $300.00 per key.......your giving people the wrong idea. It's $225.00 for one transmitter. A new key is only $21.00.USA that is.

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
828 Posts
I'm not sure i understand. Do you mean the physical/metal key is 21 and the remainder of the remote/fob is 225? Is that what you mean by transmitter?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts