Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Other than few small things we lover our new Sorento. Now hear the thing that drives me crazy...Smart keys:

1. Dealer can't tell if the system will support more than 2 smart keys.
2. Most cars like this have valet key system so you don't have toss a $300 FOB to car jockey
3. Doors do not auto lock when you walk out of range.
4. The tailgate button only unlocks the tailgate it does not trip the release for a shopping bag loader or bellman.
5. One think I loved about our only Accord, when you left the car it rolled up all the windows, closed the sunroof and locked the car when you left it, soon as you closed the door and the coded key was out.

In general its pain in the butt since, if it only supports two keys even if you have an extra physical key to unlock it, you still can't start the car. I travel a lot and take my keys with me since I park my SS (which has 4 FOBS programmed for it) at the airport. Now I have to take the KIA key off my ring just in case my wife misplaces hers. If it supports a 3rd FOB at least I don't have to worry she can't drive the vehicle if she looses a FOB while I am gone. Does anyone know about a third FOB or tried it yet? The next deal will be if you drop one in the snow, does it die if it gets overly wet.

Thanks!

Pat

·
Registered
1999 Kia Sephia, 2016 Kia Optima SXL, 2019 Kia Soul Plus
1,110 Posts
Other than few small things we lover our new Sorento. Now hear the thing that drives me crazy...Smart keys:

1. Dealer can't tell if the system will support more than 2 smart keys.
2. Most cars like this have valet key system so you don't have toss a $300 FOB to car jockey
3. Doors do not auto lock when you walk out of range.
4. The tailgate button only unlocks the tailgate it does not trip the release for a shopping bag loader or bellman.
5. One think I loved about our only Accord, when you left the car it rolled up all the windows, closed the sunroof and locked the car when you left it, soon as you closed the door and the coded key was out.

In general its pain in the butt since, if it only supports two keys even if you have an extra physical key to unlock it, you still can't start the car. I travel a lot and take my keys with me since I park my SS (which has 4 FOBS programmed for it) at the airport. Now I have to take the KIA key off my ring just in case my wife misplaces hers. If it supports a 3rd FOB at least I don't have to worry she can't drive the vehicle if she looses a FOB while I am gone. Does anyone know about a third FOB or tried it yet? The next deal will be if you drop one in the snow, does it die if it gets overly wet.

Thanks!

Pat
Smart key system only supports 2 FOBS. The module programming prevents more than 2 FOBs to be programmed.

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
781 Posts
It would be nice if we got everything we wanted. When I was shopping for a new vehicle, I had some must have items and some nice to have. After comparing, at the time, I bought the Sorento...enough said.

1) As mentioned, I'm also pretty sure only 2 keys are supported.

2) Each smartkey has a valet key built in. Push the button on the key and you can pull out the valet key...the metal part of the FOB.

You can also program the computer whether or not the valet key can turn off the alarm. One of the dealer changeable settings does this. See Dealer changeable options for more details.

3) Most cars don't have the ability to lock when walking out of range. More will have this as time goes on. Maybe the next model Sorento has this.

4) As for the tailgate, wasn't a concern for me. Which other SUVs similar to the Sorento has this? I think I rad that the new model Sorento has an option of automatic liftgate.

5) Last thing is the windows and sunroof. This would be great to have. Also an auto-open. I've seen some aftermarket modules on Ebay that may be able to do this. I may try one of these out.

·
Registered
2012 AWD Sorento GDI EX
55 Posts
It would be nice if we got everything we wanted. When I was shopping for a new vehicle, I had some must have items and some nice to have. After comparing, at the time, I bought the Sorento...enough said.

1) As mentioned, I'm also pretty sure only 2 keys are supported.

2) Each smartkey has a valet key built in. Push the button on the key and you can pull out the valet key...the metal part of the FOB.

You can also program the computer whether or not the valet key can turn off the alarm. One of the dealer changeable settings does this. See Dealer changeable options for more details.

3) Most cars don't have the ability to lock when walking out of range. More will have this as time goes on. Maybe the next model Sorento has this.

4) As for the tailgate, wasn't a concern for me. Which other SUVs similar to the Sorento has this? I think I rad that the new model Sorento has an option of automatic liftgate.

5) Last thing is the windows and sunroof. This would be great to have. Also an auto-open. I've seen some aftermarket modules on Ebay that may be able to do this. I may try one of these out.
I don't understand how the Valet can park the car with the Valet key. There's no ignition keyway. (it's a push button)

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
781 Posts
That's a good point. Never thought about that. I have to admit that I don't use valets too often. I'll have to go back to the manual and see what it says about that. Maybe it's not a valet key or shouldn't be considered a valet key.

Without the ability to (re)start the car, it's much less useful.

·
Registered
40 Posts
That key is only meant to open the doors when the fob battery dies. You then have to insert the fob into the slot in the armrest cubby to enable the push start.

·
Registered
2012 AWD Sorento GDI EX
55 Posts
The proper Valet key

I believe the proper Valet key opens the doors and starts the engine, but will not unlock the trunk or glove box This is so you can secure your property in the trunk/glove box while the car is stored. Secure the "trunk" would not work with the Sorento.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sorento EX-V6 Luxury
8 Posts
Hi all. First post. I picked up my new (Cdn Version) 2013 Sorento EX-V6 Luxury on Wednesday. So far, love it to death.

As for your questions:

- If I have the key FOB in my pocket and stand near the rear hatch door, anyone can open the door without physically unlocking it. Tried it tonight with my wife. When she closed the door and I walked away, it locked on it's own.

- The "key" inside the FOB is meant to remove and then lock the glove box. Unfortunately you would have to leave the FOB with valet parking attendant.

·
Registered
2012 Sorento EX AWD CRDI; 2007 Sportage EX CRDi 4WD; 1967 Mercedes 250S; 1958 DKW 3=6
372 Posts
Actually the fob is the valet key. You are supposed to lock the glove compartment and keep the mechanical key with you and give the fob to the valet as mentioned in the manual.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to everyone for your replies. Couple of things of note. Only two keys is s real bummer, what if you had three drivers in the house? 2 people head out in another car with thier keys, third person is stuck. I hope I can get KIA to maybe update the software for more FOBS. As for the tailgate I had 5 Blazers and now an Impala all of them had an inside and remote tailgate release. If I remember correctly the Murano and Rouge had it as did the Jeep. I am pretty sure the Edge did too. I would still buy the Sorento again, but I sure hoe they add a true valet key system using a coded key and the tailgate release.

Thanks again!

Pat

·
Premium Member
2012 Kia Sorento SX 1993 Sedan DeVille 1993 Ext Cab Silverado 1971 Malibu 1975 FMC Motor Coach
72 Posts
Humm, My 1971 Chevelle Malibu has a "valet" key setup. The round key works the doors, glove box and trunk, the square key - only the ignition. If I should ever leave it with a valet (doubt I ever will), I'll just take the round key with me..

Back to the thread.. would be nice to have at least one more fob...

·
Registered
Kia Sorento EX 2012
109 Posts
Humm, My 1971 Chevelle Malibu has a "valet" key setup. The round key works the doors, glove box and trunk, the square key - only the ignition. If I should ever leave it with a valet (doubt I ever will), I'll just take the round key with me..

Back to the thread.. would be nice to have at least one more fob...
So they would not be able to unlock the door once it is locked... since the square key only operates the ignition? :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts