Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searched the forums here, and havent been able to find an definitive answer. Bought the Car new off the lot, battery was run down, so they boosted it, and was up and running no problem. Cruised with it over an hour, and parked it. Went to start it in the morning, batt was dead, only the sill LED's would light up. Got a jump, had the car up and running again.
Tried to trouble shoot and see if I had left anything on, lights were off, radio was off, (have the UVO system, not full nav) everything seemed ok. So locked the car, left my smart key away , so i wouldnt trigger a wake up, and looked in. Noticed that when i locked the car, the interior light shuts off on the roof, but the uvo system flickers on, and then the red LED clock light below stays on. Left it for 30 mins to see if it was just a time out thing, but the light stays on.
Wondering if that is normal operation, or if thats a firmware bug or something. Friend has a forte coup, and I haven't noticed it do that (non smart key version).

Here's a picture to make it easy to see.

TLDR: when i lock my car, the uvo screen flickers and this LED panel with clock turns on, and stays on. is that normal.

Cheers,
Other than this, loving it so far.

·
Registered
2012 Optima EX+, Pearl White with all black interior
18 Posts
That's crazy about the battery though. Are you going back to dealership to have that taken care of? I'm wondering if it's capable of retaining charge. Shouldn't have that problem on day 2.

·
Registered
2012 Optima EX Premium
6 Posts
If it is brand new, you need to call the dealership and get it towed down to them, this is definitely a warranty issue and something is not right in the computer or the battery being so low is causing some malfunction. Keep us posted....... if you can get a straight answer from the Dealership

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the responses.Had it taken to the dealer, they are going to run diag on it, and see whats up. They said it definitely should not be doing that, and are guessing its a short circuit of some kind in the UVO system. I will post updates on the status as I get them. Dealer said it was the first optima he has seen that has this issue, hopefully its just a touching wire or loose connection behind the uvo. Doesn't seem like its a battery issue, as I used an overnight charger, seemed to be holding a charge, and at capacity. Might see if they ll throw in a new one for good measure ^^

Cheers.

·
Registered
Accord, stick
206 Posts
They did not do proper predelivery inspection (if any at all??). You should not accept car in the first place which had to be 'boosted' in order to run. I would advise you to demand new battery at least.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
They did not do proper predelivery inspection (if any at all??). You should not accept car in the first place which had to be 'boosted' in order to run. I would advise you to demand new battery at least.
I was told a different story. Their explanation was that many of the cars on the lot do not get driven much and that fresh off the truck, they may sit for up to a month in which case the battery will be dead. Seemed reasonable at the time.

But correct me here, a completely dead battery isn't commonplace on a lot then? They then sold me a car that they had reasonable probability to think was maybe unfit for sale at that time?

I talked to service at the dealership yesterday, they said it was some sort of wiring issue most likely, and were trying to nail it down exactly because they couldn't figure out what is causing this. So they are having a bunch of back and forth calls with KIA canada to solve the problem.

As it stands though, it now sounds like the sales team pushed a car on me, because i wanted a santorini blue ex lux which i think they only had one of on the lot, (i found others at other dealerships they could have had transfered i m sure, sounds like they wanted to close the sale that day, guess he didnt know i had decided and done my research before going that i knew exactly what i wanted) . So I m not legal expert, but from a conditional sale perspective, could this count then as misrepresentation of goods? I entered a contract to buy a fully working vehicle, and was sold one the sales team had reasonable doubt to believe it was a car that was fully functional?

I still want an optima, but having dealt with lemon off the line cars before, I want a car that works straight away, not buy a car, warranty it the first day, and be without one for over a week it looks...and with the long weekend, maybe longer?

Any advice?

Cheers, appreciate the feedback a lot, on this frustrating situation.

Edit: techinical breakdown.

Terms of sale declare (C) you acknowledge that you have received from the dealer a disclosure statement as to the history, prior use, and condition of this property in your bill of sale from the dealer.

The sales staff, representing the dealer, when asked, told me the car was fine, and the resulting dead battery was from lot sitting time.

To me, a car that hasn't been inspected, and with the reason for malfunction pre sale presented as fact, it seems like this could be a breach of terms in regards to misrepresentation of the property in the bill of sale.

·
Registered
Accord, stick
206 Posts
I was told a different story. Their explanation was that many of the cars on the lot do not get driven much and that fresh off the truck, they may sit for up to a month in which case the battery will be dead. Seemed reasonable at the time.
I had my car leave for a month and a half (went on vacation) and it was starting right of the bat.

Reputable dealer would at least check the battery before delivering it to customer and those who really care for customers and merchandize would charge batteries of all cars sitting on the lot at least once in a while. How difficult is that?
But they pray on people too excited getting new car. Through experience I refuse to accept car sitting on a lot or brought from another dealership. I ALWAYS wait for car to be built AND delivered to dealership. And I put that in writing. Yes, it takes a lot of patience...

Somebody smarter and with more experience in this matter than me might be able to advise you what to do.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Contacted service dept.
They stated after back and forths with Kia Canada, that the entire Body Control Module is done and needs to be replaced but that is a 2-3 week part delivery time. So they said they are working to "patch" the car so I can drive it for the weekend.

In response to that, I said I wasn't happy with the fact I was sold a car with this problem, as at the dealership and the following day, I asked if the console lights stay on, and was told they do, and they time out. Obviously not the case, and when the car was being prepped, a thorough inspection wasn't done (at least a quick run through the diag) because I clarified on the call today, that if the body module was malfunctioning as it is, it would have shown up on the diag, to which he said yes, thats how they found the problem.

So I have asked them to come up with a better solution than "patching" a vehicle that shouldn't have left the lot in the first place.
Not mad at kia the brand, just disappointed to how I ve been dealt with so far.
He was putting a call in again to Kia Canada to come up with a resolution, so i ll will keep updating along the process.

Sucks as my friends have had nothing but stellar experiences with their Forte Koups.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update

Had the dealer call me back late afternoon, with their head service tech guy.
He took responsibility and control of the situation, and came up with a solution.

The scenario was that the battery was indeed dead on the lot, and what they think happened is when they jumped it with the 700 crank amp portable jumper they fried the fuses in the body control module that allows the uvo system to turn off. Basically it was burned on.
So they ordered the part, long weekend so it wont be in until wednesday. They offered to disable the uvo so i could drive this weekend or do a loaner, whatever i wanted, and also are going to replace the battery for good measure. On wednesday they are going to fix the car, and deliver it to my home.
While I will be out of a car i bought for 9 days at the end, i appreciate the acceptance of responsibility that was finally taken.

So it is at a point I m ok with. I just want to get in it and cruise ^^

1 - 13 of 13 Posts