Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How the **** do you get small droplets of sap from pine trees off the paint? It’s pretty much everywhere even of the sides of the Sorento. I tried washing it but that only cleaned the Sorento and left the sap. The sap is pretty sticky and I don’t want to screw up my paint job. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2005 Sorento ex v6 automatic
537 Posts
Originally posted by David Malkiewicz@Oct 22 2005, 04:55 AM
How the **** do you get small droplets of sap from pine trees off the paint? It’s pretty much everywhere even of the sides of the Sorento. I tried washing it but that only cleaned the Sorento and left the sap. The sap is pretty sticky and I don’t want to screw up my paint job. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
i have always used very hot water mixed with liquid dish washing detergent

·
Registered
17 Posts
Go to your nearest Dodge dealership and buy 'Mopar Polish Wax And Cleaner'. This is really good stuff. You have to wet your rag before you use it and you wipe it on in a straight motion. You dont have to use swirl motions. This wax and cleaner, I have seen it take everything off from bugs to road tar, etc. Plus the shine is awesome. I'm driving tomorrow 26 miles to get me 2 bottles. Unfortunately where I live, you have to order it through our dealership. I have oak trees at the bottom of my road plus a red oak that drips sap that I offered to help my neighbor cut down. Unfortunately she likes the shade. This cleaner really does the job without sacrificing your paintjob from what I've seen. Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Metholayted Spirits has always worked well for me, but dont leave it on for too long (no longer than 5 minutes). It takes a minutes or so to work its magic and then it wipes straight off. Suggest a good polish after you have cleaned it all as nothing helps protect for the future than a deep coat wax.

·
Registered
4 Posts
try buying a product called Goo B Gone it should be availble at most autopart stores and supermarkets apply it strait to the sap and wait a minute and just wipe away if your careful enough take a razor blade and scrape it off but be careful not to hit the paint. make sure you wash away all of the Goo B Gone so the sun dont bake it on :gunsmilie: hope this aint too late

·
Registered
16 Posts
I use bug and tar remover. I buy it at any car parts strore and it wrks like a charm. NO need to wax it or anything like that either just spray it on waid a minute and wipe off. hope this helps! ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Originally posted by beyond_help@Oct 22 2005, 01:11 PM
i have always used very hot water mixed with liquid dish washing detergent
You should NEVER use dishwashing liquid to wash a car. It contains high levels of salt as a thickening agent. There are plenty of other car wash solutions which are harmless and cheap.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I recently heard that Amonia easily removes tree sap. Haven't tried it yet, but I would assume it also takes the wax off so you'll need to rewax that panel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same problem as you with pine sap. It was everywhere all the panels and windows. The car felt like sandpaper to touch.
The best and easist way to remove is to use detailing clay by Maguires. It comes with a solution you spray on the car then rub lightly with the clay. Job done and took about 2 hours to do the whole car including a wax to fininsh. It is as smooth as glass now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts