Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio SX(Silver), 2010 Subaru Forester, 2004 Subaru Forester (Traded for RIO SX)
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gripes:

I'm constantly having cars jump out in front of me at the last moment, completing their left or right turns, and I have to hit the brakes.

Let's jump out in front of that little car. I's not going fast because he's so tiny..which is wrong, but much like motorcycles, drivers easily misjudge a smaller vehicles speed. Frustrating. Ugh.

Also, 50% of traffic likes to ride the bumper. It's very easy to get lost in blind spot and have a car try to merge into you.

I commute 80 miles a day. 19,750 miles clocked so far.

I can tell the difference when I drive the family Subaru Forester instead of my Rio. Non of that B.S. happens but I drive the same pace, etc. I just have more "road" profile.

My question is, how is it going out there for everyone else? Any scary situations or annoyances?

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio SLS and 09 Mitsubishi Lancer
463 Posts
Point-to-point lazer turret system. Fixes everything but if only the government would let us have them...

Size of the car certainly does play a big part. The bigger the car the higher percentage that an absolute c-bomb is behind the wheel. For some reason people in bigger cars feel the need to show they are big boys now and will drive right up your ass or cut you off.

Today on way back home had a 4WD doing this to everyone on the freeway. Some people just have complete disregard to everyone else but themselves. Just keep in mind that there is a tree/pole/ditch with their name on it somewhere. Its only a matter of time.

I had a guy a few weeks ago that tail-gated me for about 10-15mins on the way home from work one night. Followed me everywhere and wanted me to pull over. Drove out to the nearest forest/bush area I could get to and see if he followed me in. He stopped and turned around the other way.

My grandmother use to keep a toy gun in the front seat too. If she got any crap out it came and the other driver would crap themselves.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
I once bought an old car for commuting purposes while working in another city. On the highway, despite easily maintaining the speed limit or a bit more, cars following me seemed intent on passing, just for the sake of passing a $1000 car.

·
Premium Member
'12 Rio SLS, '13 XR6 Turbo, '15 XR8 S/C
995 Posts
i've never encountered so much road rage as i have in the 7 months we've owned the Rio. EVERYONE just wants to play a game and they often end up worse off.

I have a v8 Fairmont Ghia as well (full size) and honestly i get maybe 1 incident a year in that with a random moron. In the Rio, it's unusual to go more than 10 minutes into every single drive without small small-*** loser trying to flex his lack of under-belt equipment. Then as soon as i jump back in the Fairmont again, nothing. I've also had people out of their car attacking ours for reasons i'm yet to understand.

Had an incident with a loser in a big v8 this morning, on Australia Day of all days. It's just non stop in this car, sad really. So many pathetic w**kers with an inferiority complex out there.

It's just the way the world is these days, it's changed dramatically in the last decade on the road. Selfishness and delusional self-importance are the order of the day.

I have a car cam so it's captured some interesting footage.

meh.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio SLS
95 Posts
I can't pinpoint any real problems I've had but then I do live in a reasonably small country town. We do have our fair share of road rage but most don't carry on too much cause guaranteed you will see them shopping at Woolies the next day.
It's only if I go to Cairns for the day that I will notice people tend to want the small car to get out of their way.

If anything I have found night worse because a lot of the big cars can literally shine their headlights straight in the back window of the Rio to try and make you let them past. I am quite a lead foot so I tend to floor it and if they can pass me fine, otherwise too bad cause I am not getting out of their way! :D

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 EX w/ Convenience & ISG
293 Posts
I've had 3 hot hatches over the years and never got 1 day without being dissed.

However, sometimes kharma comes around and lets you watch while she doles it out. Not too long ago, after a heavy snow, on the interstate highway at 65mph, an idiot in a full sized sedan comes flying up behind me, nosedives within inches or my bumper, stays there for a quarter-mile, passes me on the wrong side all pissed-off like, but here's the good part: looses traction, does 2! 360s in front of me, crashes nose first into the center median concrete, flies NASCAR style across 4 lanes to the other side, smashes his passenger side flat to the opposite barrier and grinds to a spark-flying stop. As I'm driving safely thru his debris field, waving goodbye, all I see in my rear view mirror is his face in his hands while smoke starts pouring out from the fuel tank area.

I silently thanked for divine intercession for not getting tangled up with that moron and hoped he didn't die in the fire so he maybe learned a lesson.

Does being happy about payback make me a bad person?

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Many years ago, on a wet night, while tootling at moderate speed through a notorious series of downhill curves in my Mini Cooper, a very large car came up within inches of my rear bumper with high beam and spot-lights blazing. There was nothing else to do but quietly engage a lower gear and accelerate through the upcoming tight bend.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio SLS and 09 Mitsubishi Lancer
463 Posts
YouTube it all and send it to Tracey Grimshaw! She loves that sort of thing.

Not had any karma payback views in the Kia yet but have had plenty in the other car. In city was driving home from work and down one of the sidestreets was a P plater in a VE ute, saw my car then started jumping on the throttle and decided to turn onto the main road waving his ass like a cheap whore. Car behind him was an unmarked police car. Not even finished getting the ass of the ute in line and flashing lights going off.

Another one was a Honda Civic loaded with idiots seeing the car on the freeway and have the brilliant decision in trying to race it... Let him past as I had passengers in the car and not playing games so kept driving. On the next bend here is the brilliant Civic driver pulled over by unmarked police car.

Karma always works

·
Registered
293 Posts
I just saw the season 4 ending of Breaking Bad.

Since Walter White was last driving a white Toyota Yaris, I like to think Gustavo was a chronic tailgater. :)

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio5 SX (w/ Nav)
28 Posts
I find that people tailgate a lot in my Rio5. I went from a sedan to a hatchback, and have noticed a significant difference in how other cars treat my car on the road. I don't know if it's because I'm smaller, but impatient drivers seem to come within inches of my back bumper. I've been tempted a few times to put my car in reverse and see how close they really are on the back up camera. ;) I think I am still in my "new car thinking" though, and am a little too sensitive. Regardless, it's pretty frustrating! On the other hand though, I have got lots of comments and looks from other people about my little Rio. I have only seen one other Rio on the road in my area since October/November, it seems to be a unique car! I guess you have to take the good with the bad. :)

·
Registered
293 Posts
I got fed up with the cars behind me have their hoods buried so far I could only see their wipers in my rear view mirror.

So I got into a quiet area of a parking lot and backed up to a car using the rear camera. I measured out the red/orange/green lines in the camera to how far away I was, what it looked like in my RVM and then from the other car's driver's perspective.

I found its not as bad as everyone feels. when at a stop light and half their hood is buried, they are further away than you suspect. Still closer than I like. I was taught never to approach the rear of a car any closer than you can see their tire/ground contact patch over the front of your hood. If you lose sight of that, you're too close.

And if I back up to the garage door up to the red line in the camera, you still have 2' of room left.

I gues overall you have to do your own personal checkout of the car's distances given how high up the rear glass is. And I now run around with my RVM in night mode so I dont freak out all the time.

·
Premium Member
'12 Rio SLS, '13 XR6 Turbo, '15 XR8 S/C
995 Posts
I got fed up with the cars behind me have their hoods buried so far I could only see their wipers in my rear view mirror.

So I got into a quiet area of a parking lot and backed up to a car using the rear camera. I measured out the red/orange/green lines in the camera to how far away I was, what it looked like in my RVM and then from the other car's driver's perspective.

I found its not as bad as everyone feels. when at a stop light and half their hood is buried, they are further away than you suspect. Still closer than I like. I was taught never to approach the rear of a car any closer than you can see their tire/ground contact patch over the front of your hood. If you lose sight of that, you're too close.

And if I back up to the garage door up to the red line in the camera, you still have 2' of room left.

I gues overall you have to do your own personal checkout of the car's distances given how high up the rear glass is. And I now run around with my RVM in night mode so I dont freak out all the time.
yes a hatchback will always give you the impression that someone is closer to the rear of the car than they are, due to the back of the car ending at the rear window instead of having a boot after that point.

either way thought people do still tailgate the hell out of my car at times

·
Registered
2013 Soul+ Shadow, 1970 Opel GT 1.9 CIH 4M
142 Posts
yes a hatchback will always give you the impression that someone is closer to the rear of the car than they are, due to the back of the car ending at the rear window instead of having a boot after that point.
Yes - I totally agree

Daddy-O that was a GREAT story. I have had 2 pickup trucks to date that have passed me on the right shoulder. I would have loved to see them doing a few good spins :)

Also if you really want to get dissed in a small car try driving around a VW Cabrio for a while. Other guy's want to kill you when you drive one of these. You can actually see the hate in their eyes. Very scary as some guys actually tried to drive me off the road. I just don't understand the "hate" factor involved. How could you possibly hate someone enough to drive them off the road just because of the car they drive...

·
Registered
2012 Rio SLi 'Latte' 6AT 1.6GDi
126 Posts
most people are raging morons
amen.

It's worse when there's a big red p-plate in the corner of the window, so everyone assumes you're an incompetent lunatic behind the wheel...
however, the amount of times I've been almost turned into is ridiculous!
if I wasn't driving such a nice car, I'd gladly drive straight into the side of their door and tell them to get over it, because I was in my lane and they weren't. alas, it only happens in the Rio though. when I drive my parents CX9, it seems everyone wants to stay out of my way :/

·
Registered
293 Posts
Also if you really want to get dissed in a small car try driving around a VW Cabrio for a while. Other guy's want to kill you when you drive one of these. You can actually see the hate in their eyes. Very scary as some guys actually tried to drive me off the road. I just don't understand the "hate" factor involved. How could you possibly hate someone enough to drive them off the road just because of the car they drive...
Yes. Seen the hate. Remember the movie "Uncle Buck"? Its like that:

·
Registered
293 Posts
amen. It's worse when there's a big red p-plate in the corner of the window
In Australia, what's a red P-plate?

In the state of Ohio USA, we have a yellow license plate with red letters we call a 'Party Plate' for convicted drunk drivers so we can ID them from a distance.

Whats screwed up about this state (at least) is we don't have a plate for convicted sex criminals. They can lurk around schools all day and we'll never know it.

I think your plate should be your IQ + accidents. Like: 136-0. That'd be helpful.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts