Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Rio SX 1.6L Auto Trans w/tiptronic
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping that someone may have had a similar problem as I've searched the forums for my car model and haven't seen issues exactly like mine.
A few weeks ago my car first started showing signs that something was amiss while I was driving. It misfired once i started driving the car (I had already driven to my location the same day without any problems) and then experienced sluggishness where I was pressing the accelerator alot to get it moving.
It kept going like this till I reached my destination. Once I hopped back in to drive, in
was back to normal.
I did notice a few weeks before that, it was a little sluggish but not so noticable and I was getting a bit of a burn smell from under the hood.
It got worse after that first time and the misfiring and slugglishness worsened-the car takes alot of ramming of the accelerator to move and the rpms were higher than usual (e.g. 3000-3500rpms at 70mph).
The mechanic checked it and changed filters and spark plugs, etc.
The car worked fine for maybe a day then started the same issue again.
I got it scanned recently and it shows it can either be a problem with the ecu (brain box) or the transmission fuse- which was confirmed by the tech guy that it's the brain box.

My fear is that the brain box may be malfunctioning because of another issue, and I'll pay for a new one and not really resolve whatever underlying issue.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, I have to have momentum before going uphill and the car does not go past 25kph.
If no momentum, the car will not budge.
The engine also sounds louder than usual, and while driving, sounds like it's overworking (if that is possible?)

·
Registered
09 kia spectra ex,04 Neon,04 Chry. T&C, 08 Pontiac G6 gt
2,070 Posts
With important info NOT given by you...Hard to offer any definitive help. I've read a lot of threads made here of plugged/failed catalytic converters in the Rio pages. BUT usually something amiss in the fuel or ignition system is causing that to happen.
How long has this been going on and how many miles are you putting on each"trip" with a probable fuel/ignition related problem. We need the computer P codes that your car's computer is giving to even have a good clue as to how to offer any help.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for replying as I didn't know what other info to give. The guy that did the scan, didn't inform me of the exact P codes it gave. I'll see if I can get that from him.
This problem only really surfaced about almost 2months ago.
My ac gave out first (like about 3 or so mths ago) so I'm not sure if the two problems are related.

With important info NOT given by you...Hard to offer any definitive help. I've read a lot of threads made here of plugged/failed catalytic converters in the Rio pages. BUT usually something amiss in the fuel or ignition system is causing that to happen.
How long has this been going on and how many miles are you putting on each"trip" with a probable fuel/ignition related problem. We need the computer P codes that your car's computer is giving to even have a good clue as to how to offer any help.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
507 Posts
Having vehicle specifics.....ie, year, miles, engine, trans type, maint performed or not performed, original owner, climate driven in, time of year this issue cropped up, etc. This helps quite a bit. I know it takes some effort on the OP's part but help us to help you....btw, don't belive its A/C related unless the clutch has frozen up along with the compressor and your engine is just dragging the belt around and around. Have you looked under the hood for any type of obvious issues?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks.. I had put a few specs in my signature as to the year of the car, etc.

-2012 Rio SX
-93000 miles +
-Climate in the caribbean - hot? Lol
-Problem showed up end of Nov/ early Dec. 2019
-I am the original owner
- not sure what maintained means - last serviced by car dealer 3.5 years ago. Serviced otherwise 1-2 times a year
-auto transmission

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio LX 4D
3 Posts
I'm hoping that someone may have had a similar problem as I've searched the forums for my car model and haven't seen issues exactly like mine.
A few weeks ago my car first started showing signs that something was amiss while I was driving. It misfired once i started driving the car (I had already driven to my location the same day without any problems) and then experienced sluggishness where I was pressing the accelerator alot to get it moving.
It kept going like this till I reached my destination. Once I hopped back in to drive, in
was back to normal.
I did notice a few weeks before that, it was a little sluggish but not so noticable and I was getting a bit of a burn smell from under the hood.
It got worse after that first time and the misfiring and slugglishness worsened-the car takes alot of ramming of the accelerator to move and the rpms were higher than usual (e.g. 3000-3500rpms at 70mph).
The mechanic checked it and changed filters and spark plugs, etc.
The car worked fine for maybe a day then started the same issue again.
I got it scanned recently and it shows it can either be a problem with the ecu (brain box) or the transmission fuse- which was confirmed by the tech guy that it's the brain box.

My fear is that the brain box may be malfunctioning because of another issue, and I'll pay for a new one and not really resolve whatever underlying issue.
Hi there. I recently had this same issue with my 2013 Kia Rio. It wasn’t accelerating, seemed too heated, and started to make a clicking noise. This was all after 100k miles. I replaced my spark plugs and it was still the same. Eventually I had 2 different mechanics look at it and they said it’s the engine- an issue that if you google Kia engine you’ll find other forums of people having their engines literally burst into flames. There were shreds of metal from the engine in the oil pan and everything. I just got a replacement engine from a newer Kia finally and it seems to have resolved the issue (for now). They seem to break down over time according to what I’ve read.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,404 Posts
Hi there. I recently had this same issue with my 2013 Kia Rio. It wasn’t accelerating, seemed too heated, and started to make a clicking noise. This was all after 100k miles. I replaced my spark plugs and it was still the same. Eventually I had 2 different mechanics look at it and they said it’s the engine- an issue that if you google Kia engine you’ll find other forums of people having their engines literally burst into flames. There were shreds of metal from the engine in the oil pan and everything. I just got a replacement engine from a newer Kia finally and it seems to have resolved the issue (for now). They seem to break down over time according to what I’ve read.
Using the below link, please add location and vehicle (year & model) to your User Account/Profile

eg.
USA
2019 Sportage 2.7L V6 SX turbo AWD

UPDATE: Vehicle Information

Forum Rules

Tip: after updating your info, hit “like” on this post, and it will serve as a prompt to remove it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Whatttt??? Omg @ engine blown up!
I'm going to google now thanks!
Did you get any specific P codes when your car was scanned though??
Also, my guess is that the engine replacement was costly...

·
Registered
2014 Kia Rio, 2020 Ford Escape SEL, 2017 Chevrolet Colorado 2WT
1,131 Posts
As the popular phase says, this is fake news. Never heard anything about Kia Rio engines 'bursting into flames'. Can't find anything from searching to verify that your claim that is actually a 'thing'. Hyundai SUVs with Theta II engines but not 3rd generation Kia Rios. Post a link to your Google search. Rather than 'cut your losses' at 100000 miles on an entry level, inexpensive 7 year old vehicle, you opted to replace the engine? The rest of the vehicle also has over 100k miles on it. Makes your post sound somewhat disingenuous. As if trolling........

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio LX 4D
3 Posts
I know, sooo crazy to read about - it made me paranoid. I got a used 2016 engine with 12k miles and in full paid $3900 for the replacement. It sounds so much better and just is back to great gas mileage it’s such a relief.
As the popular phase says, this is fake news. Never heard anything about Kia Rio engines 'bursting into flames'. Can't find anything from searching to verify that your claim that is actually a 'thing'. Hyundai SUVs with Theta II engines but not 3rd generation Kia Rios. Post a link to your Google search. Rather than 'cut your losses' at 100000 miles on an entry level, inexpensive 7 year old vehicle, you opted to replace the engine? The rest of the vehicle also has over 100k miles on it. Makes your post sound somewhat disingenuous. As if
As the popular phase says, this is fake news. Never heard anything about Kia Rio engines 'bursting into flames'. Can't find anything from searching to verify that your claim that is actually a 'thing'. Hyundai SUVs with Theta II engines but not 3rd generation Kia Rios. Post a link to your Google search. Rather than 'cut your losses' at 100000 miles on an entry level, inexpensive 7 year old vehicle, you opted to replace the engine? The rest of the vehicle also has over 100k miles on it. Makes your post sound somewhat disingenuous. As if trolling........

it’s really cool and great that you are so knowledgeable about cars, but I’m not, and mine had a major engine issue. And yes I opted for a used engine over buying a new car- how is that not a good choice? I have better things to do than troll a car forum page but enjoy your superiority.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio LX 4D
3 Posts
the code was reading for a knock sensor issue- I got it looked at by two different mechanics and they both told me there was nothing wrong with my sensor.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I know, sooo crazy to read about - it made me paranoid. I got a used 2016 engine with 12k miles and in full paid $3900 for the replacement. It sounds so much better and just is back to great gas mileage it’s such a relief.
We have a 2014 that we bought new. It has given good service throughout it's life to us but if it needed an engine replacement I would not go to that expense for a 6 year old entry level vehicle. The market range is 5-6K in good condition. Spending 80% of a 6-7 year old cars value to repair is not something I would do. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
2 Posts
the code was reading for a knock sensor issue- I got it looked at by two different mechanics and they both told me there was nothing wrong with my sensor.
When you get these type of inaccurate error and its not what is states it is,t then very likely its the ECU acting up. Had that happen to my Neon to which is distributorless and the ECU handled the spark timing... it threw almost every error like the TPS and all possible realted part except the ECU itself. This is from my experience.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
it’s really cool and great that you are so knowledgeable about cars, but I’m not, and mine had a major engine issue. And yes I opted for a used engine over buying a new car- how is that not a good choice? I have better things to do than troll a car forum page but enjoy your superiority.
Thicken up your skin a little this is the internet. Don't try to read too much intent from written words. Nothing to do with superiority or automotive knowledge. It's just not something I would do, that's all. After receiving 6-7 good years from a vehicle I'd have to assess such a major expense. For us and our Rio, it would be time to move on.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm here waiting on my mechanic to source the pressure control valve (once I had the car re-scanned by a different person, this is the pcode issue that came up).
The part seems to be a challenge in sourcing because of the age of my car, so I'm mentally preparing in case I eventually have to sell it. ☹

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Do you mean 'purge control valve'? For the vapor canister? Shouldn't be too hard to find.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Oh, that's a transmission part. So this is not an engine related issue. Keep us posted.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts