Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this has been asked a million times before. I’m not sure if this is a problem or not but intermittently my Sorento seems to hesitate when accelerating. From 1st gear the vehicle seems like it’s being held back and when 2nd engages it runs fine throughout the remaining gears. It’s like when you start your vehicle on a really cold morning all sluggish. Plus I noticed that whenever the Sorento hits 3000rpm or a little higher it sounds like I’ve got the gas pedal pressed to the floor with all my might. It seems like it reves up to much. Any one else have these same symptoms.

Thanks
Dave
:unsure:

·
Banned
417 Posts
I have read in other forums that the later Sorento's using the new five speed auto transmissions that they have a diffrent shifting between gears speed from the older four speed units. The over speeding of your engine when over 3K IMHO is not normal and should be taken to your Kia service Dept. and have them give you some answers. I would also call the Kia USA office in Calif. and get them involved with this over speeding issue. Keep us informed on how it works out and Good Luck.

·
Registered
2005 Kia Sorento
9 Posts
Hi Dave,

I have noticed my 05 V6 (5 speed auto) is occassionaly sluggish to pull away when I want to gently accellerate after having slowed right down in heavy traffic situations etc.
The sluggishness doesn't last through to the shift into second but is quite pronounced sometimes.
Obviously kicking it a bit harder brings an instant response but is not always desirable.
I have not noticed any over revving effect at high revs though.
I am also curious to know if any other V6 owners have experienced this.

Cheers

·
Registered
2005 Kia Sorento
9 Posts
Don't know if Dave has checked his KiaMech, but your comment prompted me to check mine and it's way overfull, ie, 5 cm (approx 2 inches) above the 75 Degrees full mark with a cold engine. Maybe that's causing some problems in my case.

·
Banned
417 Posts
I don't think your fluid level is the source of any shifting problem if you are not seeing signs of fluid dripping out I bet all is ok.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
You CAN check it when cold, but checking it while hot is better because that's the normal operating condition.

Anyway, cold or hot, the ground needs to be level and you need to have shifted into every gear before checking it. This is even more important when it's cold because chances are you wouldn't have shifted it at all.

·
Registered
2005 Kia Sorento
9 Posts
Thanks for that, you are right the vehicle hadn't been started or driven for two weeks ( I only use it for fishing trips ).
I will check again next time it's been driven and the motors hot.

Did pull the dash apart today though and disconnect that **** annoying 'pinger' when the key is in the ignition and the drivers door is open. I know it's there for a reason but I would rather risk locking my keys in than not be able to have the stereo on and the door open when I'm parked on a riverbank somewhere.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts