Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Kia Sephia
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Sephia with about 92000 miles. I just got it. I am surprised how much I like this car. My shifter is all over the place. It shifts fine but the shifter is way to wobbly. I have to pay attention to what gear I'm in. Sometimes I shift into third thinking I'm in 5th. Also the signal light stalk. I have to hold it to make a right and the left, I have to cancel. The hi beams work and the signals work. Do I have to replace the entire switch? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1985 Subaru Loyale (wagon), 2000 Kia Sephia (sedan), and 1969 Mercury Comet (coupé)
2,857 Posts
Regarding the Shifter, it should have worn the plastic bushings, I am not sure exactly how it is assembled the Manual shifter on the Sephia, as I've seen Automatics mainly; but I bet it needs a new set of Bushings. So, I kindly suggest you to visit your nearest Kia dealer, and ask if they sells a Bushings' Kit for the manual shifter of the 2000 Sephia, if so, obtain them and change the worn ones with the new ones.

Regarding the turn signals' stick, it maybe needs some cleansing, years of armor-all like products might ended inside... Electronics / Computers cleaners in Spray are good idea to try there.

Kind Regards.

·
Registered
2000 Kia Sephia
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Still working on her...

Since I last posted, I have replaced the washer pump and I didn't have take the bumper cover off. Just the panels under the bumper. Works fine. I found the horn and replaced it. Works fine. My next project is the front brakes. I have ordered the pads, brake fluid, brake clean. Am I missing anything? I also purchased a dash cover. I plan to cut out the warped area and just covering the whole thing seeing as I'm going to mangle it. The other thing is the hazard switch stopped working and I can't find a bushing kit to replace my sloppy shifter. Should I just go for that short throw shifter kit instead? I was also thinking about a cold air intake. Will it harm or help? I like the way they look. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2004 Kia Rio
43 Posts
I would say bushing are the issue for the shifter as well. I owned a 1983 Dodge Turismo years ago, tough little car but badly built. Never experienced a stick shift setup like that in my life, all ball and socket.

My next project is the front brakes. I have ordered the pads, brake fluid, brake clean. Am I missing anything?
For a car of that age, I'd tear the braking system apart and give it a good cleaning. Brakes and tires are the most important for me and I don't muck around. The only rotors that last on my Rio are the ATE slotted, 4th year on the current set, great rotors. All other rotors failed within a year, Kia OEM included.

Check the front brake hoses for any bulges or weak spots, and replace if needed. When you take off the calipers, push the piston out using the brake and give them a good cleaning. Remove the lines from the calipers, blow the piston body out with compressed air, add a little brake fluid, shake and blow it out again. It's amazing how much dirt gets into the system. Remove the guide pins and lube those as well. Yes, you'll have to refill with fresh fluid and bleed but that's all good. You'll notice a big difference with everything cleaned filled and bled. I'd clean the rear pistons as well, and bleed them out.

I had one major brake failure in my life, near killed me. won't happen again if I can help it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts