Kia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought a 2011 sorento, used, and haven't had any issues at all with it. One thing that concerns me is that when first started up in the morning, and driving down the road, the truck seems to surge when in second gear going into third. It only does it the first time it goes from 2-3, and if I come to a stop and start again, surging is gone. It does this every morning, and only after it has been sitting overnight. If it has been driven in the past 5 or so hours, it's fine.

I've tried letting the truck fully warm up, and trying to go as soon as its started, but it doesn't change.

I may be overly paranoid, but I like this truck, and want it to be in good working order, and possibly catch a trans issue before it gets worse.

Anyone had this issue, or know what I can check?

·
Registered
2011 Sorento V6 AWD
150 Posts
Mine will occasionally jump a gear when cold but very rarely, and I don't really worry about it. Its a sealed trans system, no maint needed as long as its not abused. That said if you really think its a problem have them check it out next time you get a oil change or go to your mechanic. I don't know how many miles you have but you have to at least 60k so I would wait a bit and see if it gets worse before going in.
2011 as well

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Truck has 121000kms. I'm going to get it checked out when it goes in for a tune up next week at Kia, but I have found if I turn ECO mode off, it doesn't do it as bad... Generally to the point where you don't even notice it.

Other than that, the trans shifts butter smooth, and has no issues downshifting on an incline without pressing the gas more. I've driven alot of cars, but none had this new-fangled eco mode stuff lol

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD & 2010 Hyundai Sonata SE
532 Posts
Mine will surge into 1-2 when first pulling away and have a rough downshift from 2-1st when it's cold out and I don't let it idle for more than a few minutes. I just let it idle for a few minutes now...if I can't wait that few minutes I just take off nice and slow. Sometimes it does it, sometimes it doesn't. Once it does it once it won't do it again for the rest of the day.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So just to update, I finally got it into the dealer for a full 120000kms service.

Tune up, oil change, 5 million point inspection, and I told them to change out the trans fluid and filter.

$579 all said and done, and no more surging, and the tank lasts just shy of 700kms as opposed to the 620 before.

I'm quite happy.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD & 2010 Hyundai Sonata SE
532 Posts
So just to update, I finally got it into the dealer for a full 120000kms service.

Tune up, oil change, 5 million point inspection, and I told them to change out the trans fluid and filter.

$579 all said and done, and no more surging, and the tank lasts just shy of 700kms as opposed to the 620 before.

I'm quite happy.
What motor do you have? I might consider a tranny fluid change soon because I do ALOT of city driving.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts