Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Sorento SX 2013
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know a way to set Sliding Assist to automatically set to Off when you turn on the Sorento?

it's getting abit annoying everytime i jump on to my Sorento and have to perform a "pre-flight check list" before I drive away.

the Slide Assist is both a blessing and a curse, yes it works great for wet/winter times

but it works against you under all other circumstances, everytime i do a U-turn it triggers, or sometimes when you pull into a parking lot with a steep incline and sometimes when your wheels loses friction on the sewer covers then it triggers as well, but then you lose power going up hill

both of those cases causes unsafe scenario if timing is off

so the solution was simple, do not enable the Sliding Assist, and everything is fine.

I don't mind the wheels squealing, it's actually a good indicator to the conditions of the road.

What i Do mint is the annoying system kicking in all of the sudden, and you total loses all traction, the system throws you into neutral for like a split second, but it doesn't downshift you back to gear 1 or 2, it leaves you on like gear 5 or 4 whatever you were in for about 2 seconds, so you are left without any power even when you jam the gas throttle to the bottom, and by the time the gear or the Slide System wears off i when the power comes back, and you have already way over revved the engine as you were pressing the gas to the max, and if you don't do anything and wait for it to come back, then you are sitting duck in middle of the road or trying to go up that parking lot hill

happens mostly on right turn to go up hill parking entrances, that's when people follow you closely and tries to pass you as soon as you step on the gas, expecting you to already be INSIDE the parking lot, not suddenly lose power and get stuck half in half out trying to climb up the hill.

·
Registered
2015 Sorento EX V6 AWD Ebony Black
1,144 Posts
Hi BB6886, I know all too well your frustration with ESP/ESC as I feel the same :mad: I do exactly what you do, starting with my 2005 Tucson, and now also with my 2010 Tucson. I feel I have better control of the vehicle at all times, then letting a "robot computer" with no ability to think on it's own, take over by default!:mad: I have found that even in snow drive testing, I can control my vehicle better then ESC/ESP. I could go on but, Anyway in my new Tucson, I did some investigating, and found in the underhood relay box on the drivers side, there is a relay marked E.S.S When I pulled it out, it disabled the stability control system! ;)

This will probably disable the DBC (downhill brake control) as well, but not the ABS. :) I've driven the Tuc many miles this way, & noticed a type of freewheeling, extended coasting, like it was "set free" with increased power, & mileage. I put the relay back in when going for dealer service.

I do not know if your Sorento, or if the Sportage (Tucson clone) has this relay? Or, if so, if it's in the same location?

Good Luck, Mike

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,412 Posts
No way to turn it off by default. It sound to me like it is oversensitive(problem?), or you need to slow down.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento LX V6 AWD, Dark Cherry
153 Posts
On my 2011 LX there is an on/off button to the left of the steering wheel. In the with the diff lock, rear wiper. It's the button the car on it with the skid marks. When I turn the slide control off it stays off until I turn it back on. It will stay off even if I shut the Sorento off and restart.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento LX V6, '03 GSX-R600, '00 Nissan Maxima SE
150 Posts
everytime i do a U-turn it triggers, or sometimes when you pull into a parking lot with a steep incline and sometimes when your wheels loses friction on the sewer covers then it triggers as well, but then you lose power going up hill.

I don't mind the wheels squealing, it's actually a good indicator to the conditions of the road.
I've tried to recreate the U-turn scenario you had, but I can't seem to make it happen. Also, I can punch the gas and catch a wheel with no issues with the assist on. I'm trying to figure out when this thing is supposed to come on. Maybe I need to go to a gravel/dirt road and really see what's going on.

The hill assist works, but I wish I could turn it off (my wife drives it mostly anyway so I don't have to deal with it, and she doesn't even know what I'm talking about:D).

If I'm on a steep incline, it does keep the vehicle from rolling backwards, but the vehicle doesn't go right away when I hit the gas. It almost feels like it's "stuck" for a second then moves, but it's not a big deal. It's just that I've just driven a stick shift for so long that I'm used rolling backwards a little on hill and it just feels weird not to have that little free movement when I hit the gas. I'm interested to see how the downhill assist works, but there aren't any hills steep enough here. Roadtrip!!

·
Registered
2015 Sorento EX V6 AWD Ebony Black
1,144 Posts
On my 2011 LX there is an on/off button to the left of the steering wheel. In the with the diff lock, rear wiper. It's the button the car on it with the skid marks. When I turn the slide control off it stays off until I turn it back on. It will stay off even if I shut the Sorento off and restart.
Off, is when it's lit up, On is when the light is off, are you saying the light stays on all the time, until you turn it off? Then yours is broken, have it checked out by the dealer. ;)

As I posted here earlier, there is a relay marked E.S.S. (Electronic Stability System) in an underhood relay box on my Tucson that I removed to permanently disable ESC/ESP (Electronic Stability Control/Electronic Stabilty System/Skid Control). Without affecting anything else on the vehicle.

If you have an AWD vehicle, this skid control is even more invasive, & annoying. I cannot ever break a wheel free with this "nanny", it just appears the vehicle becomes more sluggish.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento LX V6 AWD, Dark Cherry
153 Posts
My light is always off. So when I hit the button, the light comes on (meaning it's off.) it does work correctly.

I usually turn it off during snow storms, when the assist kicks in, you loose all power when giving gas in deep snow.

·
Registered
Sorento SX 2013
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Mike that's a great hint !!! I'll check for a similar fuse on my Sorento.

The Tucson and Santa Fe shares the same system, so does the Sorento, they are all made by the same people.

So, I'm pretty sure it should be there somewhere possibly with the same label.

I was checking it on my buddy's Santa Fe, and the problem is not really present

seems to be only a bug in the Sorento with an over sensitive sensor, probably the same issue with your Tucson

Hi BB6886, I know all too well your frustration with ESP/ESC as I feel the same :mad: I do exactly what you do, starting with my 2005 Tucson, and now also with my 2010 Tucson. I feel I have better control of the vehicle at all times, then letting a "robot computer" with no ability to think on it's own, take over by default!:mad: I have found that even in snow drive testing, I can control my vehicle better then ESC/ESP. I could go on but, Anyway in my new Tucson, I did some investigating, and found in the underhood relay box on the drivers side, there is a relay marked E.S.S When I pulled it out, it disabled the stability control system! ;)

This will probably disable the DBC (downhill brake control) as well, but not the ABS. :) I've driven the Tuc many miles this way, & noticed a type of freewheeling, extended coasting, like it was "set free" with increased power, & mileage. I put the relay back in when going for dealer service.

I do not know if your Sorento, or if the Sportage (Tucson clone) has this relay? Or, if so, if it's in the same location?

Good Luck, Mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts