Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

First post here. I just purchased a new 2005 Sorento LX and would like to add an in-dash navigation system. The one I'm looking at is the Eclipse AVN5435. http://www.eclipse-web.com/avn/avn5435.html

Is the Sorento stereo area a single or double din opening? Would this unit fit?

Thanks and I'm happy I found this place. I have a lot of mods I plan on working on.

Mike.

P.S. My last car was a Chrysler 300M which won the "Best Class" award at our 300M Enthusiasts Club outting. I look forward to starting all over again with the Sorento.

·
Registered
16 Posts
YES THIS WILL FIT AND SO WILL ANY RADIO THAT IS DOUBLE DIN SIZE. YOU CAN EVEN FIT A SECOND UNIT IN THE CHANGE POCKET UNDER THE CLIMATE CONTROLLS BUT YOU WILL NEED TO DO A LITTLE MOD IN ORDER TO DO IT. I TOO AM LOOKING AT A DOUBLE DIN ALL IN ONE UNIT TO PUT INTO MY SORRENTO. ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 Kia Sorento
34 Posts
I have been interested in a double-DIN DVD player. I'm no pro at this stuff, but I know that I need a mounting bracket and wiring harness. The probelm is, I haven't found a bracket that will accomodate a 2 DIN unit (yet). Just letting you know that finding one may be a challenge... Looking forward to hearing about the mods!

·
Registered
16 Posts
The mounting is really not a big deal. Some shops may try to make it a big deal in order to jack up the install price but the truth is that most double din units are what is called iso mount which means that they have a sleeve that has push tabs that holds it into the opening. In some cases you may have to fabricate a mount but by no means is it a big deal. A double din unit going into a double din opening is as simple as it gets. The kits are for single din units going into a double din opening, in that case i could see a kit being usefull. Unfortunately if you are not going to install it yourself, then you need to set it up to be installed by someone you trust, if they say they need a kit then make sure they show you how it is going to help in the install and dont be shy about it. Paying for a pro install is often better than trying to do it yourself but remember that many shops are not the most honest. Do your homework first and make sure that they also warranty the labor. You can also get away with out using a wire harness. All the wiring you need is already there for the factory unit but be warned that if no wiring harness is used they will need to cut into the radio harness, if you plan to put the original radio back at some point then make sure they give you the factory plug that they cut out so it can be used later when you put back the stock unit.

I hope this helps! ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sorento
6 Posts
Originally posted by coachq@Nov 26 2005, 06:45 AM
YOU CAN EVEN FIT A SECOND UNIT IN THE CHANGE POCKET UNDER THE CLIMATE CONTROLLS BUT YOU WILL NEED TO DO A LITTLE MOD IN ORDER TO DO IT.
Is there an off the shelf mod that will allow this? I'm looking at a single din (if that's the correct term) dashmount head unit to connect to two monitors in the headrests.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I AM NOT AWARE OF ANY OFF THE SHELF KITS FO ACCOMPLISH THIS. THIS WOULD FALL UNDER THE CUSTOM UMBRELLA, BUT NOT A DIFFICULT TASK. REMOVE ALL THE TRIM, TAKE APART THE CHANGE POCKET, MAKE ROOM FOR THE UNIT INSIDE(RE LOCATE ANY COMPONENTS THAT NEED TO BE MOVED) AND MOUNT INTO THE OPENING. YOU MAY NEED TO FABRICATE A TRIM PLATE TO MAKE THE INSTALLATION COMPLETE. IF YOU DONT THINK YOUR UP TO IT YOU CAN HAVE A REPUTABLE STEREO SHOP DI IT. REMEMBER IT WILL FALL UNDER "CUSTOM" INSTALLATION SO BE PREPARED TO PAY A LITTLE FOR THE EXTRA TIME AND POSSIBLE NEED TO FABRICATE A TRIM PLATE.
HOPE THIS HELPS ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
Greggers- What you should do depends on what you want.

if you want better car audio, as well as dvd movies playing in the aback, why don't you just replace the stereo? Some Stereos has dual zone, so kids can watch dvds in the back, while u can listen to music in the front. (this is prob the easiest solution. You have better audio as well as video output, and the video output goes to the rear lcds)

if you want dvds playing in the back for the kids.. you could get a few things:

1, dvd headrest monitors monitors that have built in dvd players ( have seen them around. screen slides down, and you insert cd there. kids can watch 2 diff movies that way. You could also porb find wireless headphones for this system

2. get the lcds mounted in the headrest and wire it to a dvd player (head unit that only plays dvds and music..nothing fancy) and you can mount that in the center console somewhere. Gotta figure out how to get this to play in the car audio. (this one is closest to what you want to do now, i feel like this would be easier to do then to mount it under the climate controls.)

3. Drop down screen with built in dvd player, and has RCA inputs too. I think these could plug into the aux input or FM Modulator.

Hope this helps somewhat

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sorento
6 Posts
1, dvd headrest monitors monitors that have built in dvd players ( have seen them around. screen slides down, and you insert cd there. kids can watch 2 diff movies that way. You could also porb find wireless headphones for this system
Sound nice, haven't seen them personally. Can they be mounted in the headrest though?

2. get the lcds mounted in the headrest and wire it to a dvd player (head unit that only plays dvds and music..nothing fancy) and you can mount that in the center console somewhere. Gotta figure out how to get this to play in the car audio. (this one is closest to what you want to do now, i feel like this would be easier to do then to mount it under the climate controls.)
This is what I am looking at. Going to see a guy on Saturday who sells Leather Headrests with screen already built in. Just need to check the colour match. He also sells DVD/Freeview dahmount head units (single DIN) and this is what I was thinking of mounting where the change drawer is beneath the climate. It's ample to keep the boys ammused in the back. I don't really want to replace the factory stereo as this is just fine for my wife (who's car it is) MP3 Changer, Sat Nav etc.

3. Drop down screen with built in dvd player, and has RCA inputs too. I think these could plug into the aux input or FM Modulator.
We have a sunroof so not an option.

·
Registered
116 Posts
choice 1

yes they can be mounted in the headrest

choice 2 - I would thinking mounting the dvd player in the back or center console would look a lot better than down under the climate control. my opinion.

and i just realized your from the UK, in the US we cant get that nie fancy stereo that's why i was telling you to get one that was fancy..but you already have one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts