Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Optima EX, 04 Sebring. 98 Ranger
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a EX with premium and tech packages. It has the regular stick with the suto shift, no paddles. Recently I took it for a spin while the wife was working and I tried the stick shift. pretty impressed but I cannot seem to go into 6 gear. It goes through the numbers well and you can seem them up on the display but at 5 it just will not go any further using the manual shift. Is this normal. I would appreciate it if someone gets time and can try this. I am wondering are the rpms to low or to high to engage into 6 th gear? Thanks for any feed back.

·
Registered
2011 Optima EX
107 Posts
The car is not going to allow you to engage 6th gear until you are at a certain speed, so the engine doesn't rev too low. Go up over 50 and I'm sure you'll be able to push it to 6th.

·
Registered
Accord, stick
206 Posts
What year?
All current gen of auto Optimas are 6 speed. Problem with manumatic shifting is that car does not allow you to shift higher if you are not going fast enough. During test drive I had to go 70+km/h in order to shift into 6th and see it on the display. Kind of dumb; if there is a shift lever then let me decide which gear I want to be so I find this manumatic shifting a joke.

·
Premium Member
2017 Kia Niro Touring w/Tech Pkg, Blue/Grey
1,952 Posts
6th only available above 42-43 mph when Auto shifting...........

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,536 Posts
What year?
All current gen of auto Optimas are 6 speed. Problem with manumatic shifting is that car does not allow you to shift higher if you are not going fast enough. During test drive I had to go 70+km/h in order to shift into 6th and see it on the display. Kind of dumb; if there is a shift lever then let me decide which gear I want to be so I find this manumatic shifting a joke.
no it isn't why would you want to shift to a higher gear if its going to lug, you wouldn't do that with a regular manual shift! The 6th is 0.772 gear ratio.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
In addition to putting sensible limits on gear selection, most "manumatics" will select 1st gear automatically when you stop. It's a safety precaution so you will have motive power after a panic stop, for example.

I've only used manual shift on our Cerato 6-speed auto a couple of times, mostly to confirm that it's working. Also useful in hilly country, but not really essential unless you're tackling a long descent.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,536 Posts
the manual shift is very helpful in snow conditions, particular when slowing down at a stop, I let the engine do it rather than the brakes. Also when taking off in snow, use 2nd gear - all tips I used when I used to drive regular manuals. But probably 99% of the time is only used in the regular automatic mode. It's a nice compromise.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts