Kia Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Sportage EX
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you purchase a new Kia that comes with the satellite radio installed, isn't the trial subscription supposed to be a standard 18 months? I know I read it here or in my original invoice.

A couple of weeks ago the XM radio stopped and my 18 months should run out in late September.

I called Sirius and they claimed some BS that the trial from the dealers are only 3 months. I talked to two people and they both said only a 3 month trial. They extended in another 3 months for me but I think I am getting screwed as it was turned off for a couple of weeks and I just got around to calling them yesterday.

·
Registered
2011 KIA Sportage SX, 2016 Ford Focus RS
480 Posts
Mine was only 3 months trial

·
Registered
2012 Kia Forte EX
6 Posts
The dealer told me it was for only 3 months when I bought my car in January 2012. I must have slipped through the cracks because it is still on to this day.

·
Registered
2015 Sorento EX V6 AWD Ebony Black
1,153 Posts
The dealer told me it was for only 3 months when I bought my car in January 2012. I must have slipped through the cracks because it is still on to this day.

No Fair!, I'm tellin!,,, LOL

Good for you, I only had the 3 month trial period too, now they get me each year :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2012 Sportage EX
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I did have an online Sirius XM subscription last June that I tried for a couple of months which was kind of cool and with bluetooth headphone was a nice thing to have during the day doing stuff around the house and even outdoors as long as the computer was relatively close.

This is weird as I specifically remember 18 months being the trial period and I have been telling people this from the day I bought my Kia. I remember looking it up online originally as at that time I didn't know how long it lasted and from the searching I did it was 8 months. Thought I also read that here as well.

Maybe since I paid for 3 months of internet radio they let it slide? I do know people who have had their new cars trial subscription of Sirius XM last for 2 years before the service was turned off so maybe YMMV is a better answer as to how long the trial subscription lasts.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sportage LX
101 Posts
I bought mine used but Sirus XM I believe is hurting bad. They take almost any price you will offer to pay for their service. I reup my services every 6 months for $25. They offer me $80 for a year but I'll just keep doing the $25 semi annually.

·
Registered
2011 KIA Sportage SX, 2016 Ford Focus RS
480 Posts
I've been doing the same getting it for $25 but the last couple times they only gave me 5 months for that. Just have to remember to cancel/renew a couple days before it runs out or they will charge the full monthly amount and auto renew.

·
Premium Member
2017 Kia Niro Touring w/Tech Pkg, Blue/Grey
2,063 Posts
When you purchase a new Kia that comes with the satellite radio installed, isn't the trial subscription supposed to be a standard 18 months? I know I read it here or in my original invoice.

A couple of weeks ago the XM radio stopped and my 18 months should run out in late September.

I called Sirius and they claimed some BS that the trial from the dealers are only 3 months. I talked to two people and they both said only a 3 month trial. They extended in another 3 months for me but I think I am getting screwed as it was turned off for a couple of weeks and I just got around to calling them yesterday.
It's 3 months!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2013 Sportage SX, 2016 Kia Sorento EX V6
27 Posts
Agreed, 3 months. But I wouldn't pay a dime for any future service as the sound quality in my 2013 SX is horrible. Sounds like it's coming out of a tin can. I tired adjusting the sound (treble, bass, mid) but just can't seem to get a decent sound. Anyone else getting poor quality sound?

·
Registered
2011 TechnoOrange Sx, 2008 Toyota Solara SLE, 1946 Chevrolet Fleetline Aerosedan
66 Posts
I don't have a problem with sound in our SX, it's the signal. My experience since owning the car has been loss of signal without any rhyme or reason. I can be driving in a totally open area (no buildings, no overhead obstructions) and suddenly the signal is gone and I have to wait for the radio to "acquire" it again. I have experienced this not only in town but also whenever I'm traveling. At my last service I asked the rep if this is a warranty issue with the radio and got a non-answer to the effect that KIA doesn't make the radios, the fault lies within the circuitry of the radio and there's nothing they can do about fixing it. The signal loss problem occurs about every 10-15 minutes and it's annoying as hell. I'm probably going to cancel XM radio when the subscription's up at the end of the month. Anyone else ever had this problem with the '11 SX navigation system radio?

p.s. When I bought the car my free subscription to XM radio was 3 months.

·
Registered
2011 Sportage SX
978 Posts
I only lose the signal when passing under a wide bridge, a long tunnel or when there are many tall buildings crowding the street.

·
Registered
2011 TechnoOrange Sx, 2008 Toyota Solara SLE, 1946 Chevrolet Fleetline Aerosedan
66 Posts
I also experience signal loss on those occasions. In my case the signal is FREQUENTLY lost when I'm out in the middle of nowhere without even a tree around. Yet, you and I both have the same year, model and radio. Maybe mine's got a manufacturing defect?

·
Registered
2013 Sportage SX, 2016 Kia Sorento EX V6
27 Posts
I don't have a problem with sound in our SX, it's the signal. My experience since owning the car has been loss of signal without any rhyme or reason. I can be driving in a totally open area (no buildings, no overhead obstructions) and suddenly the signal is gone and I have to wait for the radio to "acquire" it again. I have experienced this not only in town but also whenever I'm traveling. At my last service I asked the rep if this is a warranty issue with the radio and got a non-answer to the effect that KIA doesn't make the radios, the fault lies within the circuitry of the radio and there's nothing they can do about fixing it. The signal loss problem occurs about every 10-15 minutes and it's annoying as hell. I'm probably going to cancel XM radio when the subscription's up at the end of the month. Anyone else ever had this problem with the '11 SX navigation system radio?

p.s. When I bought the car my free subscription to XM radio was 3 months.
In addition to poor sound quality I also experienced loss of signal. Not as frequent as that but frequent enough to make it annoying.

·
Registered
2012 Sorento LX, 2012 Sportage SX, 1989 Taurus SHO
289 Posts
I bought my 2012 Sportage SX on August 2011 and the Sirius free trial period lasted until January of 2013.

·
Registered
2015 Ford Mustang GT
209 Posts
Agreed, 3 months. But I wouldn't pay a dime for any future service as the sound quality in my 2013 SX is horrible. Sounds like it's coming out of a tin can. I tired adjusting the sound (treble, bass, mid) but just can't seem to get a decent sound. Anyone else getting poor quality sound?
This is exactly why I don't pay for Sirius. I have a 2012 SX and I agree the sound quality is very poor through Sirius, even the local radio sounds much better. My iPod and flash drive sounded much better on the stock radio, and even better on the upgraded setup.
s
I also found this excerpt, which really shines light on the issue:

"XM and Sirius...probably broadcast more in the 20-40kbps for music stations. MP3 is a really outdated standard, so comparing those numbers to MP3 encoding is wrong. It probably approximates 96kbp mp3 in quality, but it definitely is not 96kbps-- that would be a ridiculous waste of bandwidth."

·
Registered
sportage base model manual trans
396 Posts
slipped through the cracks

The dealer told me it was for only 3 months when I bought my car in January 2012. I must have slipped through the cracks because it is still on to this day.[/QUOTEi I slipped through the cracks also . I bought a sat radio in 2005 and was billed for only the first month . 8 years of free sat radio so far

·
Registered
2013 Sportage EX AWD
144 Posts
How does the Sirius receiver (KIA Radio) know that the trail periode is over?

How does it technically work?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts