Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...does not seem to work. It works fine in other vehicles... I can get audio just fine but the traffic never comes through. I know we have Sirius traffic coverage here because when they have a free trial but old vehicle got traffic coverage (which just went away when the trial ended).

Does anyone have any experience with this? I'm wondering if the software version of the nav simple doesn't take the traffic info. When I checked the software version it specifically says Canada for the nav software.

Thanks.

OH just to make it clear - it's a 2014 Sorento SX, Canadian model with a US Sirius Audio and Traffic subscription.

·
Registered
2016 KIA Sorento SX+ 7 seater
559 Posts
Little confusing without more profile info -i.e. are you Canadian living in Canada that somehow has a U.S. subscription or American that has somehow and for some reason bought a Canadian Sorento (why I don't know as would be more expensive).
The Nav systems of the Canadian and U.S. models are not the same. As far as I know Canadian models do not have Sirius traffic ; also do not have HD radio or E Services.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Canadian living in Canada with an American subscription. A lot of Sirius subscribers do this, and it works on many vehicles (my old Kia Soul for example)
As far as I can tell, the Nav system is the same physical box (same firmware), but the software itself is different. I called Kia who were completely unhelpful (we don't know and no there is no one we can ask, bye!), so I emailed them. Also spoke to Sirius level 2 support. Will know either way by tomorrow... but at least if others are interested in trying if they check here first they will not whether or not to.
Either way, I'll post an update.

·
Registered
2016 KIA Sorento SX+ 7 seater
559 Posts
What is the benefit of an American subscription. Thought all the channels and contents were the same across North America- perhaps a price difference, but need a U.S. billing address ?

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SX (Canada)
120 Posts
On older Kia's, the traffic was included in the Navigation software. Same with VW Touareg's. However, in Canada, Sirius/XM doesn't offer the traffic navigation with any of their packages. In order to get the traffic, you had to have someone in the states set you up with the American subscription in order to get the traffic. The US subscription supports Canadian cities, but the Canadian subscription doesn't support the system at all.

NOW, as far as I can tell on the new navigation systems that Kia has come out with, they have stripped the traffic right out of the software, so that Canadians can't even do the subscription through the US anymore. This means no traffic services. Thus, it doesn't make a difference to go with the US or Canadian service anymore.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts