Kia Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SX AWD
239 Posts
I guess I'm one of the few people who sees zero value in paying for radio content. I've got about 70GB of music on a handy USB fob that keeps me occupied and I can always stream music from my phone if I somehow lost my USB stash. I didn't use the complimentary subscription that came with my older Sorento and haven't even tried using it with the new one. Other than Howard Stern (heh), what am I missing? :)

Cheers!

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,135 Posts
I guess I'm one of the few people who sees zero value in paying for radio content. I've got about 70GB of music on a handy USB fob... what am I missing?
A lot of non-music material other than Howard Stern? About 1/3 of my pre-selections are non-music channels, and those are the ones that get listened to the most.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SX L (FWD)
333 Posts
I think Sirius powers the gps map traffic (road colors)

It was not accurate at all on my recent Wed before Thanksgiving 200 mile trip along Texas I-10.

That's what waze is for.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,614 Posts

It was not accurate at all on my recent Wed before Thanksgiving 200 mile trip along Texas I-10.
The new car I bought last year came with 6 months entertainment, and 5 years traffic - I've not renewed the entertainment but still use the traffic, which has worked well for me, re-routing me when roads are jammed.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SX AWD
239 Posts

That's what waze is for.
I've pretty much given up on the factory nav system and just use Android Auto. The factory nav is a pain in the neck to use and not as up-to-date or easy to use as Google Maps (or Waze) + AA. I normally don't buy car navigation for this very reason, but it came with our new Sorento so we gave it a try...and switched right back to Android Auto.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SX L (FWD)
333 Posts
I've pretty much given up on the factory nav system and just use Android Auto. The factory nav is a pain in the neck to use and not as up-to-date or easy to use as Google Maps (or Waze) + AA. I normally don't buy car navigation for this very reason, but it came with our new Sorento so we gave it a try...and switched right back to Android Auto.

Cheers!
Agreed ! I'm eager to use AA but need to upgrade my 5 year old Moto Droid X phone which is stuck at Android ver 4 which is no-go for AA on the Kia.

I'll probably buy a new phone soon with ver 8 which ought to work.

But, cheap as I am, and still desiring wired earphones, I'm wondering what version of Android will work to do AA/Kia in case I find a killer deal on an older smartphone <?>. Yes, I'm an anything-but-Apple kinda guy.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SX AWD
239 Posts
Agreed ! I'm eager to use AA but need to upgrade my 5 year old Moto Droid X phone which is stuck at Android ver 4 which is no-go for AA on the Kia.

I'll probably buy a new phone soon with ver 8 which ought to work.

But, cheap as I am, and still desiring wired earphones, I'm wondering what version of Android will work to do AA/Kia in case I find a killer deal on an older smartphone <?>. Yes, I'm an anything-but-Apple kinda guy.
Heh, I hear ya. Any decent smartphone these days is going to run you a few hundred bucks. I've been using this one and kinda like it. Monthly updates for security patches/upgrades so you're always on the latest revision of Android. Pretty much unheard of these days...

https://shop.essential.com/products/phone

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,135 Posts
I gave up on automotive GPS systems a long time ago. Ridiculous prices for map updates that would be free with an inexpensive TomTom, traffic not as good as the competition ... meh.
Also not using a smart phone for this since the typical app has such tiny type for street names on the map that they're practically illegible.
Still working with good old stand-alone 6" (and even 7") TomTom nav devices.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SX AWD
239 Posts
I gave up on automotive GPS systems a long time ago. Ridiculous prices for map updates that would be free with an inexpensive TomTom, traffic not as good as the competition ... meh.
Also not using a smart phone for this since the typical app has such tiny type for street names on the map that they're practically illegible.
Still working with good old stand-alone 6" (and even 7") TomTom nav devices.
If you're using Android Auto or CarPlay, you can leverage the 8" display in your Sorento as the phone's display. I haven't owned a tomtom in over a dozen years or so, but with a smart phone, your maps are being constantly refreshed.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,135 Posts
If you're using Android Auto or CarPlay, you can leverage the 8" display in your Sorento as the phone's display. I haven't owned a tomtom in over a dozen years or so, but with a smart phone, your maps are being constantly refreshed.

Cheers!
I think you'll find Google's barrier to publishing a real problem for competitive nav apps for Android Auto.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SX AWD
239 Posts
I think you'll find Google's barrier to publishing a real problem for competitive nav apps for Android Auto.
I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. Google maps and Waze are two of the best nav apps that you can find and they're both free and updated constantly at no cost to us. Are you saying that it could be better if some limitation that you're alluding to didn't exist? It's already better than anything I can buy.

Cheers,

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,135 Posts
What I'm saying is that Google prevents other main line nav publishers from playing on their platform. Your post assumed I had intended to use Google's app.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SX AWD
239 Posts
What I'm saying is that Google prevents other main line nav publishers from playing on their platform. Your post assumed I had intended to use Google's app.
OK, but I don't understand the relevance. Are you disputing that google's data is the most up to date? I really don't care about who gets to play in the sandbox as long as I get the most current data. The fact that it's always free (I have already made the investment in a smartphone) and updates constantly without any action on my part is icing on the cake.

Car companies ought to focus on the car, where they can actually offer the most value. In areas where they can't possibly hope to keep up (like navigation), providing a convenient method to consume that data (Android Auto or CarPlay) makes more sense to me.

Cheers!

21 - 34 of 34 Posts