Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. Has anyone experienced their siriusxm radio not working? I was driving 1 day and it kept displaying acquiring signal but it was still working. Then the next day it doesnt work. I press my preset buttons and it doesnt change channels. No matter what i press it says sirius audio id, channel 0. I called tech support, they said they sent a signal to refresh it but still nothing.

Is my radio toast?

Thanks
Bekim

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well mine did the exact same thing to me after plugging in an iPod direct USB instead of using the Kia cable (which I have now purchased) and all I had to do was push the reset button which is recessed above the CD player. That cures any problems I've run into with the infinity system at least.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tried reset button - to no avail. Cannot change Sirius channels or obtain radio or traffic id. 2011 Sorento with navigation. AM/FM/CD/naviagation all work

·
Registered
1 Posts
Currently dealing with the same issue. Sirius screen stuck on 0, while all the other radio functions work. I am going to try the fuse reset to see if that works. Has anyone figured this out yet?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Well, my infinity stereo locked up, Saturday, on Sirius XM channel and wouldn't allow me to switch satellite stations or get sound. Every other source worked just fine...am/fm, cd, ipod, Bluetooth...just Sirius was frozen and no sound.

did the reset poke...now, satellite stays on channel 0 and can't be tuned. Mulitple resets from Sirius sent..still stays this way. Note that the ESN/radio ID is no longer there on the screen so I suspect it's some sort of "unlocking" that needs to occur.

Tried determining the manufacturer and just couldn't find it but I think it's an infinity system made for Kia. Sent Infinity an email about this system and contacted my local service bay who was of no help.

Traveling so I will actually stop at a Kia service bay and see what they say...

Did remove fuse, and undo the battery for lengths of time, etc...no go. Spoke with Sirius and they say it's not them after trying their "troubleshooting" steps.

Will let you know what I find.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Seems I am getting nowhere. Local dealers in various locations are of no help and just tell me they send radios out to get fixed and haven't heard of this issue. Infinity sent me a place to call in NY. Will try them. Kia says to take it to the dealer before they can offer more support. LOL...not gonna do that and pay them $100 bucks for diagnosing that they can't do anything when I can get another radio for $174 at a junkyard.

There has to be someway to resupply the ESN/radio ID to the receiver but I think that Kia/Hyundai are the only ones who know and since this radio is so old, they probably don't have a way to do it anymore, or care.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Sirius is free and enabled for everyone for another day or two I believe.
Give it a try and see if it is radio id dependent or just plain broke

·
Registered
171 Posts
Sirius is free and enabled for everyone for another day or two I believe.
Give it a try and see if it is radio id dependent or just plain broke
As noted, tried multiple times with Sirius, and even did their entire troubleshooting...no go.

I suspect the radios software has lost it's ID for the radio which is imperative, I suspect, for the handshake to occur with SIRIUS

I am going to try contacting the NY phone number given to me by Infinity. Seems to be a specific head unit manufactured just for Hyundai

·
Registered
171 Posts
Ok let me get my head wrapped around this.

You are or are not able to see the esn or sid? displayed when channel 0 is on the screen?
As stated, there is no ESN/radio ID when tuned to Sirius, and it only stays on channel 0. The rest of the radio is fine and works well.

·
Registered
133 Posts
So that is kinda odd, cause according to the reading i have done, when channel 0 displays that is so you can get the esn or sid.

Normally the problem you are describing, happens when the display says Acquiring signal, and at that point it means the Sirius side of the radio is dead in the water.

Have you done anything to the antenna? moved it? put something next to it? made sure the connection isn't broken?(unplugged or physically broken) made sure its pointing the correct way?

·
Registered
7 Posts
So that is kinda odd, cause according to the reading i have done, when channel 0 displays that is so you can get the esn or sid.

Normally the problem you are describing, happens when the display says Acquiring signal, and at that point it means the Sirius side of the radio is dead in the water.

Have you done anything to the antenna? moved it? put something next to it? made sure the connection isn't broken?(unplugged or physically broken) made sure its pointing the correct way?
This thread caught my eye because I was having trouble activating a trial on my wife’s ‘10 Optima. It is stuck saying loading but, like you described, as if it can’t acquire a signal. Do you know where you read that? I’ve been looking high and low for help after SiriusXM tried to refresh the signal to no avail. When you say dead in the water do you know if this means the radio/head unit needs replacing, or the antenna? I am going to talk to Sirius tech support this week, but I don’t have high hopes they will have any answer.

·
Registered
133 Posts
basically in the article it states.

Acquiring signal is one of the more complicated errors, normally requiring replacing the dock or the unit its self.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I helped a friend replace his shark fin antenna on his Prius. There was a time when Toyota was replacing lots of these under warranty but his was out of warranty. Manual calls fro removing the front windshield then sliding out the headliner... We found a better way.

·
Registered
171 Posts

Show where it says that Sirius gives you the ESN/Radio ID please. Every radio I have ever had has the ESN/ID already on the radio, usually channel 184. In fact, they ask for it when setting it up...

The only thing different from when it was working to the next morning, was that I hit the reset button with a paper clip...now, no ESN/ID therefore, no Satellite hook up.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
About this Discussion
31 Replies
12 Participants
ron1004
Kia Forum
Kia Forums is a community dedicated to all Kia models. Come discuss the Kia Sorento, Rio, Sportage, Soul and more!
Full Forum Listing