Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can a simple swap be done with a 2012 Base 15" with 2012 Exclaim 18" Wheels? (I have a M/T btw.)
If so, are there any adjustments that need to be made after wards?
(ie. speedometer reset, brake upgrade, suspension upgrade, calipers, couplings, etc?)
Will MPG change since the Exclaim is rated the same MPG as the BASE?

Also, I was thinking of maybe a 17" for a smoother ride than a 18". I used a calculator (http://www.miata.net/cgi-bin/tirescgi) and found that a 17" tire that comes the closest to the stock exclaim 18" diameter is a 215/55R17.
Will this work too?

Specification Sidewall Radius Diameter Circumference Revs/Mile Difference
235/45-18 4.2in 13.2in 26.3in 82.7in 766 0.0%
215/55-17 4.7in 13.2in 26.3in 82.7in 767 -0.1%

Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I don't see why not. I just purchased a 2013 Soul Plus with a MT that comes with 16" stock wheels and I literally drove it home from the dealer and replaced the wheels/tires with an aftermarket set. Wheels are 17", tires are 225/50R17. I don't know if the change in size has affected speedometer or mileage etc. but other than than that it's a simple swap.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you choose your tire size or did the tire shop choose it?
The 215/55R17 looks the closest in diameter to the stock 18.
Why did you/they choose the 225/50R17 instead?

·
Registered
8 Posts
A little bit of both. I wanted a little lower and wider and they gave me the options. Rides nice and seems to handle fairly well considering I typically drive sports cars. I didn't want to go too low and have a rough ride.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I still wonder though since I have the Base model 1.6 vs Plus 2.0, the engines are different. So what if the suspension, brakes, calipers, etc are also different to accomodate the larger wheel sizes avail to the Plus or Exclaim models.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,536 Posts
not sure on technical details, but it does say that the 18" models come with a sports suspension, but not sure exactly what this does.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts