Kia Forum banner

Side mirror tilt in reverse

42K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Terry Meahl 
#1 ·
So I leave the L/R select switch for my mirror adjuster in the center position. Who wouldn't? I don't want to bump one of the buttons and have the mirror move. It's been there for the year I've owned it!

My wife & daughter took my car on a road trip last week. They must have adjusted the mirrors, and left the switch in L or R. I discovered that the mirrors tilt down when the vehicle in reverse - but only when the switch is not in the center position.

What the heck? Why on earth would they disable this feature when the switch is in the center position?

#4 ·
Hello Elfguy. It sounds like someone has moved your mirror glasses manually by pressing on the glass on the edges till it clicks a notch or two.
To recentre your mirrors so you can make the adjustments required--
set one adjuster central to adjuster motor running time l-r and up-down. So adjuster is centralised.
Then move the glass manually so when you are sat in your driving position the view is correct, then check you have plenty of adjustment in all directions.
Mirrors can get moved when cars re cleaned or bumped,, the ratchet effect reduces breakage of mechanism.

Jeff

#5 ·
Hey Jeff, you might want to reread that first post. You have it all wrong. He was basically telling us that he didn't know that our cars have the "auto tilt-down" feature on the outside mirrors, when you put the car in reverse. The reason he didn't know is that the feature is disabled when the mirror switch is in the center position (where he normally leaves it, just like most of us). Once you flip that switch to the L or R position to adjust that mirror, the feature is enabled and the mirrors will tilt down when you engage reverse. I personally prefer it this way, as I would never use that feature and don't want them tilting down every time I back up.

#6 ·
Thanks very much for your explanation I was totally unaware this feature exists.
With the advance in curved mirrors have found setting bottom inside of mirror on bottom corner of car gives full road vision. I had heard that some areas did not allow multi facet lenses but thought they got over that by splitting the lense with a line.
The feature would have been handy for revering my caravan with previous car.
Thanks
Jeff

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.