Kia Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

My wife broke the passenger side mirror on her 2012 Sportage (it has the blinker in it).

I have a replacement, but it's not painted so I want to take the guts out and transplant them to the old case.

I don't know where to start to disassemble the mirror since there are no screws visible.

Do I just try to pop the actual mirror part out with force and go from there?

Thanks

·
Registered
2004 Optima 2.4 EX, 2005 Yamaha R1 (street) 2001 GSXR 1000 (track)
1,017 Posts
Well the only info I can give you with any confidence is that the actual mirror lens just pops out. Push the lens to one side so you can get you fingers behind it to pull it off.

I tried to disassembly a Forte mirror once. The mirror got replaced due to a part seperating on it. I was curious if the bulb could be replaced if it ever went out. It's a good thing the mirror was headed to the garbage anyway because I destroyed it trying to take it apart. It wasn't easy and I still ended up damaging it.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage SX - Clear White
483 Posts
iLikeWaffles - have you removed the mirror from the car itself? There is a cover on the inside of the door that you can remove, which will allow you to access the screws to remove the side mirror from the car itself, that may give you more freedom to replace the innards..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys.

iLikeWaffles - have you removed the mirror from the car itself? There is a cover on the inside of the door that you can remove, which will allow you to access the screws to remove the side mirror from the car itself, that may give you more freedom to replace the innards..
Yes, I had both mirrors out sitting next to each other.

The broken mirror is actually fully apart (mostly in broken pieces other than the case), but I still can't figure out how to disassemble the new mirror.

From the looks of it I think I have to pop the mirror out first to get to the inside screws, but I want to be cautious since it wasn't cheap. I'll report back when I get it sorted out.

·
Registered
2011 Sportage SX
978 Posts
There are some instructions and illustrations on how to pop out the mirror on page 7-70 of the Owner's Manual that might help; the instructions are for changing the turn signal bulb on the front of the housing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There are some instructions and illustrations on how to pop out the mirror on page 7-70 of the Owner's Manual that might help; the instructions are for changing the turn signal bulb on the front of the housing.
Thanks for the suggestion, that was helpful.

What I did was stick my fingers under the mirror from the bottom (both hands) and slowly popped the mirror out.

Everything is pretty much self explanatory after that..all the screws are visible.

Thanks everybody.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts