Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
'12 Sorento LX I4 GDI FWD, '01 Pontiac Montana
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't do a lot of night driving, so I don't know how long this problem's actually been going on. When it's cold, the first time or two that I come to a stop sign, I can see the headlights and dash lights dim for a bit, and feel a very slight "shudder," almost as if it's about to stall. Only for a second or two, then all goes back to normal.
Anything to be concerned with? Or is this a common thing I've just never noticed?

·
Registered
08 Sorento 4WD
19 Posts
OK I thought I was the only one having an issue like this. I have a 08 and when the ABS kicks in or when my ESC kicks , and occasionally when I Dim my brights and visa versa in my radio powers out for a few seconds, my lights dim , and I have stalled a few times. What is up with this?

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
Sounds like a classic alternator issue.... Do any dash lights come on (even briefly) when this happens? It could just be a slow or bad regulator.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, had my first son on the 11th.
No dash lights, and the abs or esc isn't kicking in. I'm either noticing it more, or it's happening more.

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
Congrats on your son! How exciting! Unfortunately, there is no direct indication of what your problem could be. I have noticed something strange with my Sedona lately, too. When the engine is cold and I step on the brakes - the headlights dim. It has never stalled or cut power to anything else, but the lights dim. The only time either of my vans have actually cut power to anything (radio, rear defrost, etc) were when the alternators died. Do you ever have a dead battery?

·
Registered
o7 Sorento 07 Camry,99 Pontiac
151 Posts
I had thew same problem w/ a 07 lx sport package 3.8 ltr. Replaced the battery with the most powerful one that would fit it and the headlight dimming stopped. Just my 2 cents........

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Haven't had a dead battery since we figured out the headlight issue. Nothing's actually cut out after figuring out how to keep the relays in place. One was coming loose and cutting out half the interior stuff.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Aha, glad you figured it out. My battery is 7 years old, it's probably due for replacement.

·
Registered
08 Sorento 4WD
19 Posts
Well I am back here again. After being told it was my alternator I replaced it yesterday. Now even turning the lights on at idle kills the engine. The radio is intermittent, happening when the tranny changes from 1st to 2nd as well. It just seems to be getting worse and worse. I figured after replacing the alternator (and 2 hrs labour from the shop for that....ouch) it would be fixed. Someone please help if you can.:confused:

OK I thought I was the only one having an issue like this. I have a 08 and when the ABS kicks in or when my ESC kicks , and occasionally when I Dim my brights and visa versa in my radio powers out for a few seconds, my lights dim , and I have stalled a few times. What is up with this?

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Greetings,

First I would recommend signing up at the kiatechinfo website (see my sig.) using Internet Explorer, where you can view the [Service Info] for your vehicle, which may be needed during troubleshooting,

You have an electrical issue, pinpointing (where) the issue is at is the question - if it was my ride, I would first confirm the battery is in good condition, the battery terminals are clean, the battery cables are clean, and the ground points where the neg. battery cable connects to the vehicle frame are clean and in good condition,

Also would verify there is a ground strap (or wire) from the ground location to the motor,

And would be checking the relay(s) mention in post #7 above to make sure all relays are properly seated in the engine compartment/passenger cabin fuse boxes..

Check your owner's manual, it 'should' list the location of the fuse boxes and diagram the location of the relays in each.

If you have a digital multimeter, I would take a voltage reading directly at the battery positive and negative terminals to see what the voltage is when the vehicle is not using any accessories, vs. when the electrical system is under load (headlights/cabin heater on)..

On a typical vehicle, a reading of about 13.2 volts steady is normal (alternator not charging), and a reading in the range of (13.8 - 14.2) volts under load is good (alternator is charging battery),

I hope the info helps, and would try PM'ing the poster in #7 above, to see (which) relay(s) were loose on the vehicle - that may help to target where to look, if cleaning battery cables/terminals, ground connections, and verifying motor ground strap / voltage readings all check out ok..

Regards,
GottaCruise

·
Registered
08 Sorento 4WD
19 Posts
Well I checked all of the relays, grounding connections, battery, and cleaned the battery terminals. I took it into Kia shop and after about 10 hours they tell me the alternator is defective. I paid $175 for a new alternator (not remanufactured) from AutoParts Warehouse then $270 for the install. Now Kia wants another $500 for alternator and $370 for diagnosis and install of a KIA brand one. WTH.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,924 Posts
I would suggest you carefully read GottaCruse's post in this thread.
It's not uncommon that battery to body grounds, and/or connections to the under hood fuse box main fuse become corroded. Follow the lead (wire) from the negative terminal to where it is bolted to the body and remove the bolt clean (till shiny) these areas and apply silicon grease to keep the salt/water out of these areas.
Dave

1 - 12 of 12 Posts