Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I could really use the help of 2006.5 kia optima owners... My girlfriend is looking at one and most likely going to buy it but I know nothing about cars and have found very little about them online. She’s looking at a 2006.5 with 77,152 Miles for 7 grand. I haven't had the chance to look at the car but she told me it is extremely clean inside and out and looked very well taken care of. Basically I just want to know how any owners on here experiences have been with the car and if you'd suggest someone else to get one. I'd really appreciate any feedback I could get because like I said, I’m helpless in this situation and want to make sure she isn't paying 7 grand for a car that’s going to be headaches. Thank you in advance for any responses.
-Tim

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have the 2006.5 Optima LX with the 2.4L. It's the best, most reliable car I have ever owned. I currently have 238K miles on it.
The motor has a timing chain, not a belt. I drive 4K to 7K miles per month, mostly highway driving at 80+ mph.
I had to change the cat converter and O2 sensors along with the intake gaskets at 200K miles.
I use full synthetic 5w-20 along with K&N oil filters, changed every 4K. Valvoline has a 300K mileage guarantee if you follow their program.
Transmission and radiator fluids are changed every 30K.
These maintennce schedules may seem excessive for some but they work for me and the car works for me.
I still have the original alternator, water pump and radiator hoses.
She should have a car-fax report along with a qualified mechanic check it out before buying.
Good luck, Rich

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,410 Posts
Depending on the options, $7k seems like a decent price, if it is actually as clean as she says it is. The 2 things you need to look at that are most important are with the engines.

If it is a 2.4L(4 cyl.), I'd look to see if there are any signs of sludge in the valve cover, looking in through the fill cap. The variable timing system does not like sludge, and lots of expensive problems could result if there is any. It is an excellent engine, but needs to be maintained. If it has, then it should be fine. It has a timing chain, so it it basically maint. free other than oil changes.

If it is a 2.7L V6, I'd ask to see some kind of proof the timing belt was changed at 60k miles. If it wasn't, and she still decides to buy the car, then it needs done ASAP. The V6s are almost bulletproof if maintained.

Get us some more info and we'll be better able to assist you. Options, location, etc.

·
Registered
2006.5 KIA Optima EX, 2007 Toyota Prius II
12 Posts
I have a 2006.5 EX with all the options KIA had except that useless thing they put on the trunk.It has about 52K miles on it.I have all the receipts and I change my synthetic oil by the year, not the miles as I only drive it on the highway and never past the speed limit.The owner's manual states with normal driving oil changes are required only at 7000 miles and once a year.I drive far less than that in a years time as a Prius is our every day car, and the Optima is only for long trips.It looks like new and is trouble free.I would consider parting with it,but not for $7000.

·
Registered
31 Posts

I have a Optima 2006.5 V6 with 78k miles which I have owned since new. The only repair I had to pay for is the gas petal control. All other expense have been routine maintenance. The car still runs like new.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts