Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
'12 Sorento LX I4 GDI FWD, '01 Pontiac Montana
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's probably just a sales tactic, but this isn't even the dealer I bought it from, just the one that does the work. They sent me a letter saying they will give up to $16,660, because they need 7 Sorento's by Aug. 31. KBB says it's only worth around $10k.
I've been eying the new Sorento's ever since last year when mine was hail damaged and told it might be totaled. Even more so recently with the cost of gas, and mine being almost done with it's warranty (bought it used, so I only had the 60K)
A few months ago I was in there for an oil change and the dealer convinced me into trying to get one, but the payments were just a little too high. AND he REFUSED to give me a trade in value, just saying that it was figured in.
Should I go in with this thing they mailed me and try it again, or just say it's a marketing gimmick.

I wasn't sure which forum to put this in..I own an '09, but interested in a '13 (hoping the '14 comes out soon to knock the '13 prices down)

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,866 Posts
You said " They sent me a letter saying they will give up to $16,660, because they need 7 Sorento's by Aug. 31."
The important word here are "up to"....That doesn't mean you will get $16,000.
They also do not "need" 07 Sorentos and the date is not important either..
They are fishing for new customers with registration info "sold" to them by the Ohio BMV. That's why you got the "letter" from another dealer... I get "Your Warranty is about to run out" ads all the time on my "salvage" 06 Spectra...
Ohio government is looking for new ways to make revenue and this is one way.
If you visit the "dealer" go in knowing they are not going to give you anything beyond the normal trade in... The hail damage will cut trade-in down a lot also.
Dave

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sorento 3.5 5sp Auto
267 Posts
Whats the worst it could cost you..., some time to go see what they are up to?

Just have your witts about you and dont rush into anything!
Nothing stopping you from going to talk to them...

·
Registered
05 Kia Sorento LX 4x4
280 Posts
Whats the worst it could cost you..., some time to go see what they are up to?

Just have your witts about you and dont rush into anything!
Nothing stopping you from going to talk to them...
My favorite tactic in this case is to have a buddy drive me to the dealer with "his" car. Get all the numbers for the new vehicle, than drop the bomb that you are trading in your vehicle. This way you have a solid sales number to compare when they put the trade in on it. Get that first number in writing, say you need to talk to your significant other, and bring up the trade when you get back after a quick lunch ;)

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,866 Posts
ratsttam +1
Dave

·
Registered
36 Posts
It's a sales tactic.

Here's my long-winded two cents:

They will get you in and haggle price. They're only going to give you at most half of what it would sale private-party. That is if they think its in good enough shape to put it on their used car lot and sell it for a good mark-up. Otherwise if they feel the car isn't lot worthy they will give you less and wholesale it out to an auction company, where Billy Bob will go bid on it and put it on his corner Acme car lot, or it may get scrapped.

Keep in mind the new Sorento looks cool but the chassis of the classic Sorento is based on a ladder frame design which is more often used in building trucks. A true off road vehicle with body-on-frame construction with nine cross members. This lends a highly superior rigidity to the Sorento that other vehicles in its class lack, (like the new Sorento) even at the same price point.

Soon gone will be the days of the true 'SUV' from most car makers line-up. So if you like what you got you might want to consider keeping it. The engine and trans should last 2-300K if it is well taken care of. You may have to replace shocks, struts, rack and pinion ... stuff that wears out quicker over time, but that is much cheaper than buying a new vehicle.

Ah... and then there is the ol' payments ... Go to BankRate.com and search for their savings calculator. You'll be surprised how much money you'd have it you put your car payments into an investment savings account and let it compound for 20 years. Than when you retire, you can do so in style with a brand new ride paid in cash! :)

If you really gotta have a new vehicle, strongly consider buying a used 1-2 year old vehicle with low miles. The gross depreciation will save you lots of money, still be under warranty, and you'll still have somewhat of a new vehicle.

Another idea is to buy from a dealer way out off the beaten path. Even if you have to drive a while in the suburbs. I did this when I bought mine by telling them the price I wanted to pay over the phone. Once committed, drove out there. Since the dealership was so far out of town they were hungrier for a deal. I saved $5K off the cost of what the downtown city dealer wanted for the same vehicle.

Just some things to consider.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts