Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it expires its warranty in 6 months, I am scared of it breaking outside its warranty.

I will not be buying another newish car if I sell it, but will be considering an older sharan or galaxy. do you think I am simply paranoid because of some problems I had with mine and this forum. or would you consider a good move to sell it before it starts costing £1000 a year on repairs.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
In all seriousness (does that word exist)
I've seen many different cars, and know many people in the trade, and no-one has much good to say about the sharaxy things, the Sedona does have it's faults, I know them all only to well, but they really are not as bad as they seem!
You can get pretty good warranties without actually going to kia for around £300 per year assuming mileage is low!
My tip is to find out what warranty companies your garage deals direct with to save you hassle, also they will know how to work 'with' them if you catch my drift.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sedona
403 Posts
I'd second Murphwiz, the Sedona isn't a bad bus at all, look at places like Autotrader and Ebay which have cars with over 100,000 miles already and going strong, there was even an 02 plate Sedona on Autotrader when I was looking to buy mine which had 400,000 miles on!!!!

The economy of the Sedona isn't perhaps as good as you may want, but the Sharaxy range won't be all they are cracked up to be either, these cars weigh around the 2 tonne mark Sedona on wrong side, my old Espace did about the same MPG as my new car but with only 92BHP and 1500kgs to cart around.

They are good vehicles I chose mine from a dealer who was recommended and who I was happy talking too, he took my car back in for some minor warranty work the other day without question and is working with me to sort out a few problems.
He replaced the radio straight out due to the screen missing digits,
Adjusted all the handbrake, sorted the tracking repainted the rear boot where the chrome surround had been cutting in, adjusted the nearside door so it didn't catch the bodywork fixed the lumbar support and adjusted the indicator switch (to be replaced now)
All this he did for free while providing us with a courtesy car FOC too.

I'm spending the last 6 months of my warranty making sure everything is working correctly and then settling down to enjoy putting the lileage on the car.

But as soon as it's out of warranty I shall be servicing it myself with full service kits from them.

On my old car I always budgeted for around £1000 a year in servicing repairs anyway due to its higher mileage and older age.

What do you see in the Sharaxy range to make you think they would be better?

Oh and whatever you do avoid the V6 like the plague the problems with those make the Kia/Rover V6 engine pale in comparison!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, Clartsonly,

I'm from Singapore.

I bought a brand new Carnival in 2002. We have a warranty of 3 years or 60,000 km here.

My Carnival have low mileage. Nearing the end of 3 years, I hardly made 60,000 km, but the warranty is expiring.

I heard a lot about the Carnival engine, giving way after 100,000 km. A few mechanics even told me that the engine is sure to give way after 100,000 km, and they swear by it. The first sign is milky radiator water.

I met a German working in my country last year while parking next to each other, a total stranger. He has the same car and color as mine. He asked me "how many engines?" I was curious and replied: "One car, one engine."

He smiled and said, "Mine, two engines"

Imagine how he smile further when I asked him why and where is his other engine?

He starts telling me about how his Carnival gets over heated after 75,000 km, all the telling signs and whatever you can find from this forum.

He even open up my bonnet and points to parts which I need special attention, especially parts that were poorly design and would give way. There is a T-joint which leads out from the radiator overflow into the engine which is made of plastic. This part should be made of steel, he claims. The plastic part becomes too hot and will break. Its just a tiny part, but it will kill the whole engine. Such is the design flaw.

I have scrapped my Carnival early this year and bought myself a new Hyundai Trajet 2.0. From my experience, this is a better car. It handles better with smaller turning radius and is much more quieter.

I made this decision as I do not want to wait for the day for my whole engine to jammed up.

The amount I lost easily pays for the peace of mind I get from not driving a car and is so unpredictable.

I do agree that the Carnival is big and confy, but whats of utmost importance is the engine.

You have reached a point where you need to make a decision of keeping or changing your car, just like what I have faced last year.

Hope my experience and views will assist you a little somehow.

·
Registered
Sedona 2.9 crdi LE
245 Posts
Hi iztsk

I think I know the answer but out of interest, please can you tell us if that is a petrol or diesel engine you are reffering to??

Simon

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the advise and comments, yes mine is a diesel they stopped selling the petrol here I think.

it has been trouble free for a few months now, if I can get the stereo to start failing in the cold weather (as it works perfectly since telling them I would bring it in) and maybe try and get the clicky wheels looked at then maybe I will consider keeping it, although I am not going to be usign that much backwards and forwards to work so much perhaps it will only need a service once a year instead of every 7 months. and I may look at the £300 warranty options instead of the kia warranty.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Weigh the Warranties up, the main advantage of Kia one is it would be full on bumper to bumper (I'm pretty sure thats the case, but please check before taking my word on that!) where as your aftermarket ones do have various limits.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts