2005 4Wd EX
AntiLock Brakes
Leather (Luxury Package)
Moonroof
Trailer Hitch
Power Drivers and Heated Seat
Spoiler
7K miles...
Clean CarFax check.. One Owner (reportedly sold because they moved closer to work and didn't want second payment)

The orginal Stickers is $30K+ ..

Question: Car looks Great... Should I jump on it as is (Making sure I get the 10/100) or offer like 20K and see if he bites or go with a counter offer...

Thanks

(BTW: I tried new with the closest Delear and After the Sticker of $29K they went down a whole $2500 for incentives.. I didn't push them any further..)

Rob

·
Registered
car
4,209 Posts
I think that its a pretty good deal for the EX model. Its not even broken in yet it has only 7k miles on it. It wont hurt to do some wheeling and dealing and if they wont go down at all its still a pretty good price. You should go for it. Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, I'm new here but I hope it's ok if I comment.

If I read the Kia warranty correctly, the 10/100 powertrain warranty is not transferrable to a second owner no matter how low the mileage may be. Instead you'll only get 5 years/60,000 miles on the powertrain, although the rest of the coverages remain intact. That's a pretty big hit to take, since you'd be more likely to have problems with powertrain components past the 60,000 mark than before it. If you end up having major trouble between 60-100k, the difference could be worth thousands.

Even if you plan to sell your Sorento before you reach 60k, I think the reduced warranty coverage is a strong bargaining chip to have in your pocket when negotiating a price, if you're actually willing to accept that kind of risk in the first place. It's a big disadvantage, so used Kias deserve to be discounted heavily.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats a Great Point Regarding the Warranty... I have been doing some research and some folks say it transferrs and some say no... The seller is stating a selling point is the 10/100 ..But they would "look into it" ..I figure thats a Legit $1500 reduction in his asking right there... I mean thats why we buy KIA.. Right??
And I can get a Decent "All Inclusive" 10/100 from an After Market company.. I am scared of an Aircondition compressor or something similar going at 60K Miles.. It will cost a fortune I assume..

Rob

·
Registered
2003 EX 4 x 4
196 Posts
Originally posted by Carnivore99@Aug 15 2005, 08:10 PM
Hi, I'm new here but I hope it's ok if I comment.

If I read the Kia warranty correctly, the 10/100 powertrain warranty is not transferrable to a second owner no matter how low the mileage may be. Instead you'll only get 5 years/60,000 miles on the powertrain, although the rest of the coverages remain intact. That's a pretty big hit to take, since you'd be more likely to have problems with powertrain components past the 60,000 mark than before it. If you end up having major trouble between 60-100k, the difference could be worth thousands.

Even if you plan to sell your Sorento before you reach 60k, I think the reduced warranty coverage is a strong bargaining chip to have in your pocket when negotiating a price, if you're actually willing to accept that kind of risk in the first place. It's a big disadvantage, so used Kias deserve to be discounted heavily.

Our dealer states clearly that ANY used KIA only comes with the 5/60,000 warranty. Even the KIA website states this.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep.and thats right in the Warranty guide..
Hmm..How much off of the Asking price is that Worth??? $2500-$3000??

Rob

·
Banned
417 Posts
My advice for what ever it's worth is don't buy a fully loaded Sorento it's a truck and nothing can change that fact. Just look for a nice clean LX even the older 2003 with cloth seats and no worthless moon roof. Even if you buy a new Sorento that is not loaded you will be getting a better deal in the long run. Keep in mind no matter what the sales guys tell you Sorento's don't get very good gas mileage. But if you need a really tough truck the Sorento is a winner. :57:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah and with gas prices the way they are, I'll bet the 2005's aren't exactly flying off the lots. Between that and the arrival of the '06 model soon, you might be able to do even better on the price of a new one.

By the way, does anyone know for sure if the 2006 Sorento will get that nice new Hyundai 3.8L V6 being rolled out this fall? Looks like it's rated about 240+hp, 250+ torque. Rumor says it will get an EPA highway rating of ~28mpg in the Hyundai Azera, but of course that's a sedan, not a truck.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A local Ford Dealer has a 2003 Sorrento on the lot with 46K miles and he has it stickered for 17K!! That Crazy 4WD demands a High Price I guess... If only they had a FWD version..

·
Registered
2005 Sorrento
10 Posts
Hi There,
I would go back to the dealer and try again I bought a fully loaded EX just like the one you have priced June 29 and I got it for 22,850.. sticker was 28900. Go to the dealer at the end of the month when they are pushing to make the quota.. I sure would not give up the 40k on the used warranty..Unless he comes way down on the price..
Good Luck
Sue

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh..Thats a Nice Negotiation... I figure if they drop the Sticker 3K and with incentives (2500) you will get a great deal..

I wonder how far they can go on stickers before they start to loose $$

1 - 12 of 12 Posts