Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Considering 2019 Niro Hybrid/ currently a 04 Dodge Durango
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are thinking About buying a Niro Hybrid. Not sure if I should get New or Used. Also not sure if I should get that LX or EX. Help! I drive 5 to 6 days a week to work. I am actually in a position where we might move to VA and commute to work in DC. This would be a hour or more commute. Currently I only commute 20 miles a day, but I am tired of my gas hog! I do have 3 young children but the Kia would mainly be my back and forth to work. Only in a bind would we use it to move that kids around. I need pros/cons and advice.

·
Registered
'14 Cadenza SX-L, '16 Sedona SX, Atlanta, GA, USA
226 Posts
I'd say Test-Drive one and see if you like the way it drives.
I nearly bought a used Kia Soul EV before deciding on my Cadenza. The Soul just didn't have the oomph I was looking for. The Niro EV and the new Soul EV (with the 200 hp motor) are more what I was looking for, but they came a year too late.

Anyway, the driving experience should help you decide. As far as new vs used Niro hybrid, I think I'd lean towards new, and get the warranty upgrade to 10 yr/100K bumper to bumper.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks... I am going to try and test one this weekend...

·
Registered
'14 Cadenza SX-L, '16 Sedona SX, Atlanta, GA, USA
226 Posts
The reason I suggested the upgraded warranty is that my local mechanic is cautious when it comes to hybrids and electrics. He says he prefers cars with traditional engines (that he can work on).

With hybrids and electrics, often your only option is taking it to the dealer (with their higher labor costs). With the extended bumper-to-bumper warranty, that should reduce dealer expenses.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I purchased a used 2017 Touring on 31 Aug 18. Had 6,000 miles and now it has 14,000. I am pleased. I got out of a 2010 Audi A5 with the six-speed manual. Too much car with the shifting gears all the time. Kia has everything. My only issue is the six-speed manual (automatic manual) with dual-clutch. You might want to discuss this with Kia or I might start a thread here. I am new to this forum. The computer mixes the gasoline engine, the electric motor, and the six-speed dual-clutch auto manual transmission and there is some hesitancy or lack of shifting. As I leave the neighborhood for 2-3 miles at 15-25 mph it seems jerky. Later, in regular stop and go it seems fine. I use the Niro in mixed driving, high speed congested Interstate and slow city so I see the pros and cons. 50 mpg is great compared to 25-28 with the Audi. I recommend the car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply Larry... do you tend to see the MPG as Kia advertises? What do you get in your model?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am fortunate in SC to have available 100% ethanol-free gasoline. It is here for the powerboats and I use it about every 4-5 tankful. It costs the same a premium gasoline but I recommend it for a few reasons. Charleston is wet and floods often and is very humid most of the year. Gasoline with ethanol gets wet and that is not good so the ethanol-free plus a periodic additive helps keep the systems dry. I get over 50 mph in most cases with mixed driving.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
9,803 Posts
I am fortunate in SC to have available 100% ethanol-free gasoline. It is here for the powerboats and I use it about every 4-5 tankful. It costs the same a premium gasoline but I recommend it for a few reasons. Charleston is wet and floods often and is very humid most of the year. Gasoline with ethanol gets wet and that is not good so the ethanol-free plus a periodic additive helps keep the systems dry. I get over 50 mph in most cases with mixed driving.
Please add location and vehicle (year & model) to your signature
With the recent forum platform change, the location and vehicle details in your profile no longer show in each post.

eg.
USA
2019 Sportage 2.7L V6 SX turbo AWD

https://www.kia-forums.com/account/signature

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought a 2019 LX w/tech new in January. Have 8000 miles on it and am happy I bought it. At the time, used Niros were hard to find and still pricey. I always get 50+ mpg in mixed driving with A/C on constantly. (South Florida). Now for the bad.... Personally, I think Kias decision to go with a 6 speed dial clutch rather than a CVT does the car a disservice. Arguments against CVT aside, they make sense with a hybrid system. Much smoother transitions. Test drive the beautiful Niro and then drive an ugly Prius! The Toyota system is much more advanced. I’d still buy the Niro but hopefully Kia will continue to improve the hybrid system.

·
Registered
Sorento EX, 2013, Niro PHEV SX, 2019
26 Posts
I bought a 2019 LX w/tech new in January. Have 8000 miles on it and am happy I bought it. At the time, used Niros were hard to find and still pricey. I always get 50+ mpg in mixed driving with A/C on constantly. (South Florida). Now for the bad.... Personally, I think Kias decision to go with a 6 speed dial clutch rather than a CVT does the car a disservice. Arguments against CVT aside, they make sense with a hybrid system. Much smoother transitions. Test drive the beautiful Niro and then drive an ugly Prius! The Toyota system is much more advanced. I’d still buy the Niro but hopefully Kia will continue to improve the hybrid system.
But the energy loss in the CVT is worse than the double clutch, which is why they utilized it. The new transmission that Hyundai have is going to be even better apparently.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok, so maybe it’s just the Kia DSG. My complaint comes from the way the Niro seems to hold a gear longer than it seems it should. No tach so not sure how high it’s revving but seems excessive sometimes. In the Prius, much easier to get it into EV mode. Just my thoughts. It obviously knows how to do what it should since I get 50+ mpg.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts