Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car was jumped wrong (the guy placed the positive in the negative) which caused a bunch of fuses to blow up. My mechanic changed all the burnt fuses, but now i have a problem that i can't figure out.
Everytime i attempt to open the trunk whether it's through directly pressing on the button or using the remote, it burns the central door lock fuse!!

The alternator is fine, the battery is new! The dealership thinks i need to change the trunk's latch! I don't think that's what's causeing the short circuit!!
Any suggestions what else to look into?

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
9,952 Posts
My car was jumped wrong (the guy placed the positive in the negative) which caused a bunch of fuses to blow up. My mechanic changed all the burnt fuses, but now i have a problem that i can't figure out.
Everytime i attempt to open the trunk whether it's through directly pressing on the button or using the remote, it burns the central door lock fuse!!

The alternator is fine, the battery is new! The dealership thinks i need to change the trunk's latch! I don't think that's what's causeing the short circuit!!
Any suggestions what else to look into?
Using the below link, please add location and vehicle (year & model) to your User Account/Profile

eg.
USA
2019 Sportage 2.7L V6 SX turbo AWD

https://www.kia-forums.com/threads/forum-rules.27240/

Tip: after updating your info, hit “like” on this post, and it will serve as a prompt to remove it.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
941 Posts
Indeed. They need to ohm out the line from the front of the car back to the latch. If it's looking like zero, then they need to ohm out the latch solenoid to see if it's that or the wiring in between. In fact, since it's easier, I'd probably start with the solenoid. However, you'll be lucky if that's the only failure you're encountering, and the reverse jump should have had nothing to do with a bad hatch solenoid.

Meanwhile, let's talk about your jump start. Who is this "guy" you mention? If it was a 'pro' tow service or similar, the $ for this project should be on them. Reversed polarity jump starting is just plain stupid.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts