Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Rio EX Sedan UVO Auto/Tanzanite blue/tinted windows/Vent visors
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I found myself having great fun using the Shiftronic mode. It seems to drag more power from the engine and more gas too. Owners of an auto, do you often use Shiftronic? Does using it often can be a burden on the engine.
Thanks for sharing your hints,

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sorento EX+
393 Posts
Hi, I found myself having great fun using the Shiftronic mode. It seems to drag more power from the engine and more gas too. Owners of an auto, do you often use Shiftronic? Does using it often can be a burden on the engine.
i use it to engine brake... can't be any worse than engine breaking on a standard car (which is common practice).

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio EX Sedan
19 Posts
I've used it a few times, mostly to engine brake down a steep hill so I didn't have to ride the brakes.

I wish manufacturers would standardize the down/up shift directions - seems like Kia has it backwards. I feel like upshift should be towards me and downshift should be away from me (just like a manual); some other makes do it this way.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio Sedan Si, 2000 Matiz SE
4 Posts
I use it to hold a constant low speed for slow speed zones, where the auto would make it hard. Here in Victoria, Australia, we get 40K speed zones quite often, for road works and schools. Try holding 40K on a freeway using the auto, not easy! though the cruise control helps for the longer sections.

I have driven a 2008 Mazda 3 auto, that has the opposite shift pattern to the Kia, and personally I prefer the Kia's "push forward - shift up" pattern.

Happy drives everyone ...

Pete.

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
I wish manufacturers would standardize the down/up shift directions - seems like Kia has it backwards. I feel like upshift should be towards me and downshift should be away from me (just like a manual); some other makes do it this way.
How is your desired method just like a manual? In a manual the first upshift is toward you but the second is away from you. They alternate. Kia's configuration doesn't bother me. Either way is fine.

I'm with the other posters, the only time I use it is for engine braking. May use it more in the snow (if we get any).

·
Registered
2012 Rio 5 & 2009 Rav4 Sport V6
104 Posts
I use it quite often cause I've been driving manual all my life and the only reason I have the auto is because my dad needs the car once in a while. I prefer the pull down to upshift and push up to downshift. That's how they are in race cars.

However, after using the Kia one for a while, I don't mind the way they have it as I got used to it although sometimes I feel like pulling down to go up a gear though. Only Mazda and BMW family of cars have it like race cars. This all started when Honda did it. Kia followed what Honda did and Honda's explanation of why they reversed it from the way it's done on race cars is because people who drive automatics are used to pulling down to downshift and pushing up to upshift.

The one thing I hate about the Kia shiftronic (which is probably the same for all the other manufacturers) is the way it downshifts automatically when slowing down. If I am about to turn, I have to bring it down to the desired gear first before turning the wheel as while the wheel is turned, it blocks the dash so if I didn't manually go down to 2, I wouldn't know if it's in 3 or 1 while I'm turning cause depending on how much I slow down, it'll sometimes go to 3 and sometimes to 1 so I normally have to get it into 2 to be sure I know what gear I'm in.

Oh, and I usually only use it when I feel that I want the feeling of actually controlling and driving the vehicle or if I need engine braking. I personally hate automatics and feel that it sucks that I'm stuck in an automatic. However, I do have to admit the Rio is one of the most fun cars I've had in an automatic though. I cringe at the thought of getting into my Rav4 after driving the Rio sometimes.

·
Registered
2012 Black Kia Rio5 SX w/ Nav, 2005 Honda Odyssey EX
190 Posts
I use it to downshift for passing (i.e. to hold a higher RPM). Once I reach desired speed I put it back to auto. Only thing I wish is that I could feel more of a kick. It does pick up speed, but I cannot feel it as I'm used to since the engine will do so gradually and smoothly (if that makes some sense). Other than that, it works well for me.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I use it to downshift for passing (i.e. to hold a higher RPM). Once I reach desired speed I put it back to auto. Only thing I wish is that I could feel more of a kick. It does pick up speed, but I cannot feel it as I'm used to since the engine will do so gradually and smoothly (if that makes some sense). Other than that, it works well for me.
I have the same feeling. The engine growls and revs and the car picks up speed but there's no kickdown. Is it to say that the engine works that that much gradually and smoothly? Or is it "where are the 138 hp's ?"

·
Registered
2013 KIA Soul, 2013 KIA Rio 5 Door
84 Posts
I had a 2005 Mazda 3 automatic with shiftronic (only used it once or twice) and we traded that in for a 2009 KIA Sportage LX V6 which also had shiftronic. I used it on steep hills or driving on mountains. We both now have a 2013 KIA Rio 5 door and Soul and not sure if shiftronic will really be of use but we'll see.

·
Registered
2012 Rio SLi 'Latte' 6AT 1.6GDi
126 Posts
I have the same feeling. The engine growls and revs and the car picks up speed but there's no kickdown. Is it to say that the engine works that that much gradually and smoothly? Or is it "where are the 138 hp's ?"
if you want kickdown, just leave it in auto...

I think when Tony said kick, he probably meant it doesn't have a surge of power unlike some other cars he's probably owned/driven.

I personally like the fact that the Kia doesn't kick down in the manual mode when you plant your foot since in a manual, you actually have to switch down the gears so it's the same with the Rio's auto.
A friend of mine took me for a drive in his Golf GTI DSG and in manual mode it kicked down and he said he hated it did that.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
2.0L 132HP vs 1.6L 138HP? Winner is...

I think when Tony said kick, he probably meant it doesn't have a surge of power unlike some other cars he's probably owned/driven.
Hello hello. Thanks for the reply. As for the kickdown, it's a very smooth one. Not the one I'm accustomed to coming from a trashy raucous kickin'ass Neon. Just was wondering how 132HP of an antiquated 2.OL engine of a 2000 Neon can beat to the punch 138HP of the latest high tech 1.6L engine of a 2012 Rio with all its bells and whistles? If someone knows, please share the info.

·
Registered
2012 Rio 5 & 2009 Rav4 Sport V6
104 Posts

I personally like the fact that the Kia doesn't kick down in the manual mode when you plant your foot since in a manual, you actually have to switch down the gears so it's the same with the Rio's auto.
A friend of mine took me for a drive in his Golf GTI DSG and in manual mode it kicked down and he said he hated it did that.
Actually, one of the things I hate about the Rio is that it still goes down a gear if you press the gas harder in manual mode. It just doesn't show on the dash unless you drop below a certain speed for the gear you're in, unless all that's happening is the torque converter is locking up so you feel that extra little oomph and see the RPMs go up.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio SLS and 09 Mitsubishi Lancer
463 Posts
Hello hello. Thanks for the reply. As for the kickdown, it's a very smooth one. Not the one I'm accustomed to coming from a trashy raucous kickin'ass Neon. Just was wondering how 132HP of an antiquated 2.OL engine of a 2000 Neon can beat to the punch 138HP of the latest high tech 1.6L engine of a 2012 Rio with all its bells and whistles? If someone knows, please share the info.

Torque and weight. Neon has more torque than the Kia and the Kia and Neon are around the same weight. Neon has more torque so the pull is going to be better in that than in the Kia

That is what is giving you your punch. Torque is what makes cars accelerate

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
I use it to hold a constant low speed for slow speed zones, where the auto would make it hard. Here in Victoria, Australia, we get 40K speed zones quite often, for road works and schools. Try holding 40K on a freeway using the auto, not easy! though the cruise control helps for the longer sections.

I have driven a 2008 Mazda 3 auto, that has the opposite shift pattern to the Kia, and personally I prefer the Kia's "push forward - shift up" pattern.

Happy drives everyone ...

Pete.
Yes, I love the 40km/h zones too (e.g. for roadworks), but I can't see how an auto would have any trouble maintaining that speed; can't remember exactly, but our Cerato 6-speed auto would probably select 4th or 5th at this speed. I've been impressed by the latest KIA autos and hardly ever use manual mode. I've seen 5500RPM on the tacho in auto mode, and hanging on manually for an extra 500RPM seems a bit pointless.

There are pros and cons on the shift direction; Since the most frequent use would be for engine-braking on hills, it seems logical to "pull back for a lower gear", but then, if you were executing a passing manouevre, "pulling back to change up" is more like the change from 3rd to 4th on a 4-speed manual (3rd being the typical passing gear).

The manual mode on Nissan CVTs is quite intelligent - goes to the appropriate "gear" immediately manual mode is selected, rather than needing an extra movement. e.g. While cruising at 100km/h (2000RPM), selecting manual takes you immediately to 3000RPM, or 3500RPM if your foot is on the brake.

·
Registered
2012 Rio SLi 'Latte' 6AT 1.6GDi
126 Posts
Actually, one of the things I hate about the Rio is that it still goes down a gear if you press the gas harder in manual mode. It just doesn't show on the dash unless you drop below a certain speed for the gear you're in, unless all that's happening is the torque converter is locking up so you feel that extra little oomph and see the RPMs go up.
what you'd be feeling is the torque converter, it also happens in my parents' CX9. It certainly is misleading though but in a sense, our 6SP Auto is like a 10SP Auto if you count the torque converter's ability to lock up and unlock...

·
Registered
12 RIO 5 SX, 07 VW Passat 2.0L turbo 1952 Siata Diana
168 Posts
I don't want to be curt, but if you ask what the Shiftronic is for, you have never driven a stick shift.to its potential. Ferrari no longer offers a car with a clutch peddle.

·
Registered
Race Blue MY12 Skoda Octavia RS TDI Manual
929 Posts
My car is a sibling of the Golf GTD (diesel GTI)
I took the auto (DSG) for a test drive before settling with my manual.
At least in the Skoda's, there is a button for kickdown. When you floor the accelerator and then push down a little bit more, you can feel the button click. Even when you're in "manual mode", it'll kick down to the lowest gear it can, so you can get that much more power out of it - absolutely useless in the diesel, mind you!!
After the test drive I said to the sales rep "What would you want that for?!... Power cuts out at 4k rpm and it took me up to 4.5k!"... He just looked at me and shrugged. :)

Anyways, as for tiptronic (manual mode)
Before I had the Octavia, I had a 5M '07 1.4 Rio and a 6A '10 2.2 Sorento.
I love manual, and would always use tiptronic in the Sorento, complete with accelerator gaps and all the lovely manual driving stuff. (Just a force of habit, mainly)
Sounded like a truck and was great. :)

Tiptronic mode doesn't damage anything. The gearbox won't let you.
If you forget its in that mode, and try and floor it, when it hits the redline it'll shift into the next gear. As well as that, when you're in 6th - for example - and you slow down at a traffic light, it'll shift down into the HIGHEST appropriate gear, and stay there until you hit redline (if accel.) or idle (if slowing)

Its basically like driving a manual with a lock-up torque converter.
It ended up being that I treated the Sorento like it had 7 gears - 1st without the torque converter locked, then when you hit about 25km/h, it'd lock and there would be 1st-and-a-half.

Excellent for towing, and fuel consumption.
Turns out that - in the CRDi Sorento at least - 5th gear at 100km/h is the best compromise between economy and speed... 2,500kg @ 4L/100km can't be wrong. ;)

Wow, this post got long. I'll just shut up now. :D

·
Registered
2013 Soul+ Shadow, 1970 Opel GT 1.9 CIH 4M
142 Posts
Nifty Shifter

I use Shiftronic mode in my Rio5 quite often. When I want to hold a gear that the ECM has selected in Drive I just flick the shift lever over to the left and hold that gear (typically 3rd!) until I have built enough revs/speed, then I flick the shift lever back over to "D" for a super smooth upshift at a higher RPM. I love how 3rd gear feels on this car :)

The Shiftronic transmission is actually one of the things I like best about my car. I also use Shiftronic mode for braking when coming to a stop light. The transmission will typically be in 6th gear and I'll force a shift to 5th then 4th, saving my brakes. I think KIA did an excellent job mating this transmission with the 1.6 GDI engine. This is the smoothest drivetrain in its class - bar none.

Also, without the flexibility of the Shiftronic transmission the ISG option would be unbearable...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts