Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:p SillyKia here with a question for any Spectra5 owner ... Just purchased mine one month ago. Shifting was smooth, like shifting in molasses, for the first two weeks. Suddenly, it's changed to loose, and it's become a little hard for the gears to mesh together. They will mesh, but it's not like before. I took it to the dealer, they drove it around, said it seemed fine to them. Any ideas?? This can't be right - it is shifting like an old Chevette that I had 20 years ago! Help :(

·
Registered
15 Posts
<_< Ask to drive a new Spectra 5 and then have the tech do the same. If they are the same, nothing you can do about it. if theres a noticeable diffrence then they should be able to find out the problem.
Also is the dealer that you take the car to a multi-franchise dealer, or a stand alone dealer? Take your car to a stand alone dealer for best service, meaning the techs there only work on Kias and not Chevys then on ocassion work on Kias because theres nothing else to do :eek: .

Good luck,

Allen

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
B) Thanks, that's a great idea. As far as the dealer, it is a stand alone. But, I think I may be able to get them to feel what I'm feeling in the shifting if I and the tech drives another new Spectra5 (that may shift smoother than mine) ... then have them drive mine. The comparison should help. Thanks for the idea!! :D

·
Registered
2005 Kia Spectra
183 Posts
Hey SK:

Based on my many years of experience arguing with Ford dealers, it sounds like your dealership is pulling the "...they ALL drive this way" routine.

The advice to get them to compare it to a new car is good, BUT car dealers are experts in playing dumb in situations like this. They probably have a very low standard of "if you can shift it, it's okay". You may have to be very tenacious doing battle in one of these more obscure kind of defects.

Unfortunately, from another post I read somewhere, KIA has pretty lenient "specs" for their cars to be considered "within spec". Someone had a KIA that was consuming a quart of oil every 1,000 miles or so, and the KIA dealership (after consulting KIA) said that level of consumption was within spec. Really??????? I would bet that 9 out of 10 owners of similar KIA products were NOT reporting similar consumption.

Don't get me wrong.... I love my 2004.5 Spectra EX so far. And my dealer has treated me very well. But.... I've yet to test their break-fix capabilities very extensively (thank goodness!). Keep in mind that most KIA dealers have dotted-line relationships to other domestic/import dealer chains, so you won't always escape the standard "American" dealer modus operandi.

Good Luck, and keeps us posted here as to what happens!

-SpectraMan

http://spectraman.freeservers.com

1 - 4 of 4 Posts