Kia Forum banner

Shifting in reverse - adjust radio

4K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  conwelpic 
#1 ·
I find this really annoying on the Sorento with Nav. Not sure if it happens without Nav.

When you shift into reverse on the Sorento, you can't adjust the radio at all. I can see not being able to use the touch screen because the camera output for the backup cam is using it, but you can't even turn off the radio.

So you accidentally have the volume turned up on the radio and shift into reverse, you have to stop the car, shift into park, before you can turn the volume down or turn the radio off.

I hate this... sorry.. just ranting. Seems ridiculous to me that the volume/power button for the radio is linked to being in reverse or not.

I have a 2011. Did they "fix" this on the 2012 or 2013? I hate this feature.

#2 ·
i too agree with the sentiment exactly

whenever i'm backing up, i want to hear what is going on around me

but the stupid thing always kick in for "Safety" to prevent you from being distracted, but it's actually causing more problem than what it's trying to prevent

so, now i have to consciously remind myself to mute the music before shifting into reverse, which i still forget every now and then

#4 ·
I find it slightly annoying too. It only bothers me when I'm in a quiet situation or want to hear what's going on around me.

However, with my SX, I am able to turn down the volume while backing up and viewing the image on the navigation unit. I usually use the turn/knob on the head unit itself and it works. I don't think I've tried the steering wheel controls. I'll try them to see if they work while backing up as well.

#5 ·
I can adjust my volume using the knob while in reverse (I do have Nav) But I must agree that it's very annoying that I cannot turn it off. I can seeing restricting people to not being able to switch between FM / SAT / AUX but really....I can't turn the radio OFF?? That just seems stupid to me

#10 · (Edited)
Yes, I tried the steering wheel controls, volume up and down, and they also work while backing up.

I'll also have to test the mute button...didn't try that. Doh!

If it works for some and not others, this may be a navigation version difference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.