Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Kia Rio
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all,

The gears on my 2003 Kia Rio (Manual), with 131 000km, are becoming more and more difficult to change. It sticks when trying to shift into a gear and you often need to push the gear stick fairly hard to get it into gear. This has only become apparent in the last few months.

Just had a maintenance 1 service 5000kms ago. Any idea for the cause?

I didn't come here without doing any research (despite knowing nothing about cars and repairs). I did see that on the Maintenance 2 & 3 service, they do a check of the man. transaxle oil level & condition & fill as required. I have only owned this car for 12 000kms or so, but found out the car was only service by a Kia/Hyundai place at 46 000km, serviced again when I bought it at around 118 000kms and a maintenance 1 at 125 000kms. So not sure when last a Maintenance 2 or 3 was done and accordingly, when last transaxle oil was checked? Could this be the problem?

1) Ideas for cause of problem? :puzzled:
2) Assuming transaxle oil levels are a possible cause, how often does one usually have to top up transaxle fluid for a manual? Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks so much for your time guys! :clap:

PS: I also read that If your vehicle has high mileage (> 80,000 miles) and the transmission has not been maintained, it is recommended recommend to not replace the fluid and filter. The fluid that has been in the transmission all this time has become dirty and gritty. This gritty fluid is actually providing needed friction for the worn internal parts of the transmission. Thoughts?

·
Registered
99 Kia Sephia manual tran no p/s or a/c, 98 Subaru LegOB
137 Posts
in my sephia experience, u usually don't have to top off the tranny. it is worth having a flush and fill done after checking for leaks....maybe take some pics under there if you see some drips. :)

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
It's rare for manual transmissions to actually require an oil change. I've seen advice to maybe change at 100,000 km. And NO, it would not be a good idea to retain gritty oil in the gearbox; you don't need friction (or more likely, abrasion) in there.

Check the oil level, and maybe change the oil, but your problem is more likely to be with the linkage or possibly with the clutch condition. Any crunching when engaging first or reverse gear from a stand-still?

·
Registered
13 Posts
try adjusting the clutch cable a couple turns than pump your clutch a few times. then try to shift. should be much smoother.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Get your head down on the driver's side floor and look at the clutch cable coming out of the firewall. Push the clutch pedal in and see where the resistance starts and where you start seeing the cable pulled. If it's more than a couple inches before the cable starts pulling, you need to adjust it.

The adjustment is very easy. Get a 12mm wrench and tighten the nut on the cable from the transaxle side. It'll be underneath your engine, up front, on the left-hand side. It's in a wide-open spot, so it's easy to find. I've adjusted mine without even lifting the car, though it would be a good idea for you to do so.

Don't tighten it too much, the pedal should have about 1.5" of play before it starts pulling the cable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts