Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
'12 Kia Rio LX. '11 Toyota Tacoma, '07 Honda S2000, '11 Husaberg FS570, KTM 990 Adventure
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all,

while perusing the veloster forum, i came across a thread about disconnecting the upper clutch switch to eliminate the shift lag in between gears...

i ran out and tried it on my 12' rio lx. OMG, awesome! car accelerates with no lag at all! it did get a tad choppy when lifting while in gear, but that seems to be the only drawback so far.

this one little mod that takes less then 10 seconds to do/undo has to be the best performance mod ever. if you have a manual trans rio, you have to try it out... :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
details? link? pics?

I drive a 2012 6 speed Rio -- ive noticed the shift lag - but I guess in the 9 months I've owned the car I've gotten used to it. Would love some more info.

·
Registered
'12 Kia Rio LX. '11 Toyota Tacoma, '07 Honda S2000, '11 Husaberg FS570, KTM 990 Adventure
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
details? unplug clutch disconnect switch. look at your clutch pedal, follow it to the top and unplug the black connector for the pressure switch. drive car. seriously, it takes less then 10 sec to unplug.

the link wont have the same pics, since the veloster seems to have a different setup, as far as colored plugs.

oh, this will disable cruise, but my lx does not have it, so no love lost there. :)

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio Lx 6spd Manual
24 Posts
I've read that before in the other thread and was hoping it would work on our cars. So no check engine lights or etc. showing? I know I've read it might effect cruise control, but my Lx doesn't have it anyway. So moot point for me anyway. I really HATE the shift lag hesitation thing. Sounds like I need to go do this too.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well I just did mine too. Like b18c said, its super easy. No tools need other than perhaps a flashlight. The plug just has a squeeze clip on it - squeeze it, pull it off, and tuck the wire out of the way.
I just took a quick run around the block and first impressions are good. It appears to be "normal" acceleration/shifting versus the hesitating it's always had. And no lights or other issues noted.
Tomorrows trip to work will tell the true answer.
Thanks for the suggestion b18c!

·
Registered
Cerato
692 Posts
While perusing the veloster forum, i came across a thread about disconnecting the upper clutch switch to eliminate the shift lag in between gears...
OK, so you might need a switch there to run the cruise control, but what idiot decided to use the switch to fool with the throttle reponse? Presumably KIA doesn't want you to slip the clutch during acceleration, but the take-up point is well before the switch is activated. -An error in design by someone who doesn't actually drive a manual?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ok, driven about 90 miles since the mod. And I have a 2013 Lx. Anyway, I fully recommend the mod. The acceleration, hesitations, etc. are much better. Makes the driving experience much better and like the car should have been from the factory. Only few issues or notes. First is my traction control light stays on all the time now. As far as I can tell its disabled, tirespin can be done easy enough. This is the active traction control light, not the light that comes on when you push the button to turn it off. For me it's a non issue since I detest traction control anyway. It's pretty worthless unless road conditions get real sketchy.
The other minor thing I noticed is the throttle is more sensitive to deceleration. For example while putting around in a single gear, if the throttle is lifted some, it make a pretty noticeable difference, a little lurch. To me it's not an issue, just different than the normal smoothness it always had. This mod also disables the up shift indicator. For me that's a bonus too - hated that idiot thing anyway. So only true issue is the traction control light being on, which is a little annoying to see. But no biggie. For those in snowy conditions, it might be one though. Of course it's simple enough to plug the sensor back in if needed.
But the actual driving experience is better for certain. Noticeably smoother and little hesitation now. It still has a bit of a flat spot under medium throttle or rpms. But I think that is likely right before the variable timing kicks in. We obviously have a much more agressive upper rpm timing map, and the factory economy tuning simply lacks a little before it kicks in. I really wish somebody would come out with a tune for these cars. They have great potential. I think this clutch mod, with it eliminating the hesitation, will put these cars solidly in the upper 7's for 0-60mph now. Only needed a couple tenths to do that per official testing numbers. A real tune that could take advantage of the timing maps could possible bring us down to the low 7's. And possibly with no loss with mpg's as long as you keep your foot out of it.
Granted low 7's isnt overly fast, but in a little 6spd car like we have, it would be plenty enough to be "fun". Granted I am likely different than most owners here, but I like the concept of a peppy little car that can still delivery the outstanding gas mileage these cars offer. I got the car to be a fun commuter for my long daily drive.
Sorry for going off topic. This little mod has just got me encouraged. And just made me love my car just a little more.
Clutch sensor disconnect - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio5 LX mtx
181 Posts
I just ran out to the car & disconnected mine. Haven't had a chance to drive it (still at work), but I cranked it up & no traction control light. Maybe when it's driven? I'll find out at 6am...

·
Registered
24 Posts
My traction control light didn't come on either on the first little trip around the block, but next morning going to work it came on pretty quick.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i have 200+ miles on mine, and no traction control light issues. traction control seems to be working normally. you disable it, and you get the solid light and unlimited wheelspin. leave it enabled on startup, and it only blinks when it stops the fun.

i have noticed that the throttle is choppy on decel as well. the wife said it is "clunky".

after speaking with many of my automotive industry buddies, my best guess is that the ecu cuts fuel progressively when lifting from the throttle in gear, thus making it a smooth transition. with the clutch switch disconnected, the ecu is getting the signal the clutch is depressed, so it leaves the fuel mapping "on" to keep the engine running, so the car does not stall. the clunky feeling we feel is engine not getting the smooth fuel mapping made to soften the car on throttle lift.

i have driven the car, and made smooth throttle inputs, and it lessen the clunky feeling, nearly eliminating it depending on how smooth i complete the input. if you lift abruptly, you will get sudden deceleration. in essence, it will make you a smoother driver when the switch is disconnected...

i didnt notice the shift indicator issue because i never paid attention to that anyway. if anything, that indicator is overly anxious. i think it wants me in 6th by the time i hit third. not going to happen in the hilly northeast....

for those who want to thank me, my paypal address is..... :p

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well that's weird. So 2 of us have the traction control light on and 1 of us don't. And even the 2012's are split with one on and one off. Oh we'll I'm not worried about it I guess. We have all the little other indicators for headlights, & etc. I don't notice it that much. I know it's not actually on, so no biggie. I need to "officially" turn it off and on to see if it makes any difference at all now. I don't think it will.

·
Premium Member
2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD; 2016 Kia Forte5 SX 1.6T A/T
6,806 Posts
could someone elaborate what the lag is?

I guess the final result will be increased fuel consumption as the ECU will not shut off the injectors while in engine braking.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
could someone elaborate what the lag is?
when accelerating after a shift, the car will hesitate for a brief moment before picking rpm back up. it will do it regardless of rpm, speed or what gear you are in. it is less noticeable in higher gears, but it is still there.

if you speed shift the car from 1st to 2nd, it will chirp the tires, then stop accelerating for a second, then take off again. it is really f'in annoying.

when the wifey drives the car, she even notices it when she is granny shifting at 2500 rpm.

I guess the final result will be increased fuel consumption as the ECU will not shut off the injectors while in engine braking.
point taken. i get a consistent 36mpg from the car on my normal 90 mile a day commute, so i will keep tabs on the mileage and let you guys know.

put another 60 miles on the car this morning, and still no abnormalities in the traction control. i am going out to dinner shortly, and will look at the shift indicator to see if it still works.

·
Premium Member
2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD; 2016 Kia Forte5 SX 1.6T A/T
6,806 Posts
it is not TC related?
I mean, if ESC is disabled, does it do same as when it is enabled?

From what I read it sounds like ESC kicking in and not letting wheels to spin/skid.

In 1st gear - can you freely burn rubber?

·
Registered
Cerato
692 Posts
As per my earlier post, isn't it just the clutch switch interrupting the normal throttle action until the clutch is "fully" released?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
it is not TC related?
I mean, if ESC is disabled, does it do same as when it is enabled?

From what I read it sounds like ESC kicking in and not letting wheels to spin/skid.

In 1st gear - can you freely burn rubber?
the shift lag has nothing to do with esc/tc.

couple weeks ago i dumped the clutch at 5k at a stop with the TC off. tires blew off the car, it settled into a wicked case of wheelhop. banged second gear and the tires spun for a brief moment after the clutch was released, then the lag hit and the wheels stopped spinning, but the car still had forward momentum. then the car took off again.

best way to describe the lag is that it is very similiar to lifting off the throttle completly for a moment, then getting back on it. it happens at all rpms, all gears, all speeds, although it is more apparent in the lower gears.

oh, coming back from dinner tonight i thought about the fuel cut on off throttle decel. i highly doubt it will effect fuel consumption measureably. the choppiness is only for a split second, before the ecu can figure out you are coasting. again, a non issue if you get accustomed to drive more smoothly. :)

oh, and i my gear indicator does not show up anymore. whoopdefriggindo.

·
Registered
24 Posts
As long as the traction control is off, then yes you can freely spin the tires from a start. The lag is pretty noticeable I think. Generally it's not very noticeable when driving lightly, but for those who enjoy spirited driving, it's something you encounter very often. So you guys babying the engine and shifting at 2-2.5K trying to save fuel might not ever encounter this "lag". But if your are running the rpms up some for fun, the power just drops off and then revs up like normal after a second or so. And it's obviously more noticeable after running the rpms up a fair amount in a gear, then shift into the next gear and then reapply that same heavier throttle. You usually then hit that "lag" for a moment before the rpms start picking up like it should. This mod minimizes that "lag". In my opinion it still flat at points, but I feel that's due to the variable timing not advancing as quickly as is desired at times. But with this shift lag, the car kinda falls on its face for a moment. It sucks. I knew about it before I got the car thanks to Car & Drivers review, so I at least expected it. Though I was hoping Kia would have maybe fixed it by now.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
with the switch disconnected, it makes my sticker more fitting, eh? :p

1 - 20 of 57 Posts