Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Sorento EX
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed that when cold, the transmission seems to "hunt" for the correct shift point. This is especially noticeable during 3rd to 4th gear shift. It seems to "wind up" before shifting into 4th and then there is a "surge" as it settles into gear. I read about this in some of the automotive reviews of the '14 Sorento. Does anyone know if there is a TSB for this issue. I would hope it is just a software adjustment that the dealer can do at the next service.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sluggishness in LX V6 2014 Sorento

Ten days and 300 miles on my new 2014 sorento LX V6 AWD,
I started noticing sluggishness especially at low
speed, it doesn't happen all the time but does seems to
happen more frequent in the past few days.
One thing I noticed is it hasn't happen in the morning
if I warm it up for a few minutes. But it is summer so the
engine can't be that cold.

My first Kia, quite disappointed right now.
Should I bring it in to dealer? Anybody else has seen and has
this issue resolved ?

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SXL
162 Posts
I have the SXL V6.. same engine. Haven't really had any issues yet. I have around 2700 miles on mine so far. The only sluggishness I have is if I have the ECO button on, which seems to bog down the engine especially on take off. I usually now just leave the ECO off and don't notice it at all.

·
Registered
2017 Sorento SX+ V6 AWD - 2016 SX+ V6 AWD (crashed) - 2014 SX V6 AWD (sold) - 2011 EX V6 AWD (sold)
369 Posts
I had these kind of problems on my 2011 Sorento. The transmission program had been updated by dealer and resolved all problems.

But I do not think that kind of update is a available for the 2014.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Low rpm low speed gear six

I always keep ECO disabled, a friend of mine noticed that
the transmission is in sixth gear at 1500RPM at 40 miles
per hour speed, he said that seems wrong and could cause
sluggishness. I will bring the car in for a check, hopefully
they can reproduce and fix it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Reset transmission learning program

I brought my car in to the service center yesterday,
the mechanic reset the transmission learning
program and the car feels better now. He
explained to me that the program relearned
itself every ten days, if people with very different
driving patterns drove the car then it may feel
sluggish to the other.
And if u are a city driver, the occasion highway
drive will be sluggish. It is a good explanation
of the issue but either my driving style are too
unique or their algorithm are not too accommodating.

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SX-L, 99 Camry LE, 93 Turbo MR2
30 Posts
I always keep ECO disabled, a friend of mine noticed that
the transmission is in sixth gear at 1500RPM at 40 miles
per hour speed, he said that seems wrong and could cause
sluggishness. I will bring the car in for a check, hopefully
they can reproduce and fix it.
I too noticed this odd behavior on my SX-L. I often find myself tossing it into manual and shifting down a gear because I just "feel" the car isn't in the right gear and the engine is lugging. Coming from a standard sports car, I always downshift before gunning the gas -- gunning the gas on the SX-L makes me lurch forward (as it goes out of gear for too long) then lurch back when it does hit the gear. If you put it in manual mode when you are cruising at 60, then just slow down and stop you can see the odd lower shift points as the transmission shifts down. 6th gear is like super over drive on this vehicle. And 1st and 2nd wiz by way quick on starting.

Having said that, I find this typical of all drive by (electric) wire throttle's. My old 2004 Sienna (and a lot of Lexus/Toyota vehicles at that time) had a lot of consumer complaints as drivers went from hard wired to electric throttle and the ECU had to "learn" new driving patterns.

I chalk it up to the fact that no one has done electric throttle right yet. But, done right means different things to different people.

Overall I really like the 2014 Sorento. I still feel the 2013 had more engine response (and certainly steering wheel feedback).

But it would be nice if a shift update was put out. Otherwise, I wonder if I could just pull the fuse to the system and reset it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts