Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SX (Canada)
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if there is room enough on the back end for a shark fin? Surprised they are still using the old wire wrap antenna still.

Might order a VG2 Fin from VG Antennas once I take possession if it will fit. VG Shark Fin Antenna - Home

·
Registered
Kia Sorento EX 2012
109 Posts
I am sure you can if you remove the wire wrapped one. I am thinking it would not be to terribly difficult to do :)

In looking at the web site that you linked in the above posting. The wire wrapped one we have on our Sorento (it does come off) might just fit with the Shark Fin.. and an easy swap. Find out what the exchange policy is and give it a shot?

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SX (Canada)
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm wondering why you'd want to do that. Forte antenna looks kind of spunky.
Trading in my Forte for a Sorento is the reasoning.

@Nikmal Yeah, I think that is what I will end up doing. It isn't exactly expensive either at $80 all in with shipping included.

·
Registered
2011 XM Sorento EX AWD V6
267 Posts
Make sure you post some photos and an update. I may follow suit but want to use you as the guinea pig.... ;)

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SX (Canada)
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Was just on their site. I don't see availability for the sorento.
Yeah, they have a second gen one now that supports sat nav and sat radio. You have to email them first with your paint code and then they send you a link for paypal.

I have to wait until the Sorento arrives first though... apparently it got delayed. :(

·
Registered
2013 Silver Sorento EX V6AWD, 2007 Toyota Highlander V6LtdAWD, 2004 Toyota 4-Runner V6Ltd2x4
80 Posts
There have been too many times I have forgotten to take the antenna off before I entered a car wash...

The Visual Garage folks said they had a model that fit my 2013 Sorento with the Bright Silver 3-D color code...when it arrives I hope it's warm enough to install and I'll share my experience with the fit, the installation, and the reception...

·
Registered
2011 XM Sorento EX AWD V6
267 Posts
There have been too many times I have forgotten to take the antenna off before I entered a car wash...

The Visual Garage folks said they had a model that fit my 2013 Sorento with the Bright Silver 3-D color code...when it arrives I hope it's warm enough to install and I'll share my experience withe the fit, the installation, and the reception...

You take it off for the wash? Really??

·
Registered
2013 Silver Sorento EX V6AWD, 2007 Toyota Highlander V6LtdAWD, 2004 Toyota 4-Runner V6Ltd2x4
80 Posts
oh yeah, I always try to unscrew the antenna before I go into the automated car wash....I've had them ripped off before on other cars....all it takes is one of the strands of fiber from the rollers to catch underneath the base and then...oooops!

I also fold the front side mirrors in....car washes are hungry sob's...

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SX (Canada)
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

The Visual Garage folks said they had a model that fit my 2013 Sorento with the Bright Silver 3-D color code...when it arrives I hope it's warm enough to install and I'll share my experience with the fit, the installation, and the reception...
Interesting. I think I'm going to email them and ask for some approximate measurements. Not sure how much different the 2014 will be from the 2013 on the roof, but you never know. It is more the rear door swinging up that worries me. I just don't know if there would be any hanging off the rear.

·
Registered
80 Posts
always good to call them before you order...best of luck with the new 2014...I test drove a Santa Fe and if it's the same platform which I hear it is, the ride is much smoother...that's the only thing that gets to me with my 2013...sometimes my fillings loosen when I drive over the city potholes...

signed,
envious...

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SX (Canada)
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
always good to call them before you order...best of luck with the new 2014...I test drove a Santa Fe and if it's the same platform which I hear it is, the ride is much smoother...that's the only thing that gets to me with my 2013...sometimes my fillings loosen when I drive over the city potholes...

signed,
envious...
Yeah, I emailed them and they said they haven't seen a 2014 yet. I will have to take some pictures with a ruler and send them some shots with the trunk gate open and closed as well.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Just received my Shark Fin for my 2013 EX V6...it will definitely fit well..I'm just waiting for warmer weather so the 3M tape will adhere correctly...will take pix...looks like a real easy installation and the Bright Silver 3D color matches perfectly...

·
Registered
SORENTO 2012 V6 EX AWD SUNROOF MOONROOF
116 Posts
I'm in the radio engineering business.
The antennas currently used on the KIA's are a remarkable feat of engineering.
Made short enough, so you don't paint parking garage roofs yet a very high quality Antenna, Actually consists of 3 antenna's even though it looks like 1.

Shark fin antennas have horrible radio characteristics, you might not notice too much in town, but you going to notice on the open road, most cases the poor reception of the sharkfin is going to be compensated by a built in RF amplifier which also boosts static and interference.

As far as I'm concerned its the biggest gimmick ever, the current KIA antenna design is as small as you can go without compromising your signal.
But the most important factor to consider before one rips out the stock antenna is that the KIA antenna also contains the SiriusXM Satellite antenna.

Lets be honest unless the SUV in front of you has a fishing rod for an antenna would you really notice or care?
A sports car perhaps for aesthetics but not an SUV, not worth the damage /effort.

But each to his own :)

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SX (Canada)
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm in the radio engineering business.
The antennas currently used on the KIA's are a remarkable feat of engineering.
Made short enough, so you don't paint parking garage roofs yet a very high quality Antenna, Actually consists of 3 antenna's even though it looks like 1.

Shark fin antennas have horrible radio characteristics, you might not notice too much in town, but you going to notice on the open road, most cases the poor reception of the sharkfin is going to be compensated by a built in RF amplifier which also boosts static and interference.

As far as I'm concerned its the biggest gimmick ever, the current KIA antenna design is as small as you can go without compromising your signal.
But the most important factor to consider before one rips out the stock antenna is that the KIA antenna also contains the SiriusXM Satellite antenna.

Lets be honest unless the SUV in front of you has a fishing rod for an antenna would you really notice or care?
A sports car perhaps for aesthetics but not an SUV, not worth the damage /effort.

But each to his own :)
Email from the place that makes the shark fin. I should also point out that the Optima comes OEM with a shark fin. I've read other threads on the web about people replacing their antenna with this company's shark fin and most people don't even notice a difference.

"This new shark fin antenna was developed specifically for vehicles that have an AM/FM rear-roof whip antenna and a Sirius/XM/OnStar/GPS chip-set antenna integrated into the larger antenna base. Our Mark II antenna will allow you to replace the whip portion of your AM/FM antenna and cover the entire large antenna base on your roof to give it a clean look. Installing this antenna will not hinder the operation of your Sirius/XM/OnStar/GPS chip-set antennas that are integrated into your antenna base, however, it may be possible to notice a slight drop in reception in AM/FM especially when listening to stations that are located further away or stations that have weaker signals."

·
Registered
80 Posts
Zzenith,

Thank you for the information regarding the design and reception of the OEM antenna. Personally, I'm trying the Shark Fin because:
A. I've already had issues in Automated Brush Car Washes with the OEM antenna, and it's a nuisance to unscrew it every time I go in.
B. It's only a personal preference but I hate the look of the OEM antenna.
C. I did not continue the Sirius Radio because for me it's not worth the incremental cost, and I also despise Howard Stern...
D. You don't have "to rip out the stock antenna, it merely screws in and fits over the current antenna base.
E. I play Pandora and my own music most of the time from my smartphone so radio reception to me is not that important...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Shark Fin Antenna by Visual Garage

Just installed it, some observations:

A. Very easy to install, make sure you clean the area with either Isopropyl Alcohol or Dawn dish detergent to remove any wax on your finish, the 3M tape adheres much better.

B. Color match is right on, mine was Bright Silver 3D....

B. The Reception is great so far, however, I do live in a Metropolitan area, and I do not subscribe to Sirius.

C. No more worries about my spike antenna in an automated car wash, (issues that i previously had).

Not necessarily a recommendation to buy, just some observations...

I like it!:D

Attachments

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SX (Canada)
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just installed it, some observations:

A. Very easy to install, make sure you clean the area with either Isopropyl Alcohol or Dawn dish detergent to remove any wax on your finish, the 3M tape adheres much better.

B. Color match is right on, mine was Bright Silver 3D....

B. The Reception is great so far, however, I do live in a Metropolitan area, and I do not subscribe to Sirius.

C. No more worries about my spike antenna in an automated car wash, (issues that i previously had).

Not necessarily a recommendation to buy, just some observations...

I like it!:D
Nice, looks good. My reasoning to buy it is similar to yours... I park in parkades all the time and don't want it to scrape anything. I will probably order one of these next month. I took a look and it looks like it should install fine on the 2014 with quite a bit more room than I had thought previously.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sorento EX V6 Luxury
89 Posts
oh yeah, I always try to unscrew the antenna before I go into the automated car wash....I've had them ripped off before on other cars....all it takes is one of the strands of fiber from the rollers to catch underneath the base and then...oooops!

I also fold the front side mirrors in....car washes are hungry sob's...
I seen a few people do that, thank God for the auto fold mirrors;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts