Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Sorento EX...beautiful vehicle but have been experiencing two reoccuring problems......One, I have a vibration in the steering wheel when i apply the brakes. I have had the problem fixed twice so far.....after the second time, i was told by the "service person" that it was a "design flaw" and all they could do was keep turning the rotors.....today the vehicle is back at the dealership with the same problem....but for some reason, this time they are charging me.....Also, nothing new...I have a vibration in the steering wheel at highway speeds....I was told that I would have to pay for a tire balance, which i happily did...guess what!...still vibrates..come to find out with a little research that many Sorento owners have had the same problem......I dont care about the cost of repairs (within reason)....all I want is it to be fixed, whether its at the dealer or another repair shop...........if anyone has had these problems and have had some kind of resolution...let me know so that i can explore those avenues.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
If its under warrenty you shouldn't have to pay for anything. I would call Kia or one of the numbers they list in the back of the owners manuel.

·
Registered
10 Posts
fmac - I used to own a Jeep Cherokee. Hell of a car that tought me a bit on cars. I experienced the same problem with your KIA and yes it will be still under warranty and claim it as a MANUFACTURING DEFAULT!

The problem your facing is that your brake discs arent grinded well.
Whats happened here is that when you make brake discs, they come in moulds at the factory, when they come out touch ups are done to it. Somewhere someones overlooked grinding the discs to be smooth and equal.

It will be replaced or it has to be grinded again. Its uneven and smooth. Hence when you brake the car kinda bounces forward and you feel like your steering wheel goes outta control.

Also another thing, never wash your rims or hit the discs with water right after driving the car and you decide to wash it. In future(although looking at the vapors from brake discs looks cool when applied with water) you will find a rough sound from your front tires or a screeching sound from it that can worsen to the same situation your in now too.

·
Registered
77 Posts
If your dealership balanced the wheels when you reported that the steering vibrated when braking then they need their backsides kicking for sheer auto engineering incompetence. If it was the wheels out of balance it would happen at all or certain speeds without brakes applied. I am assuming that you told them it only happened whilst braking. I would demand my money back for wasting their time and youe time and money.

Simeon

1 - 4 of 4 Posts