Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Spectra 5. Everything worked perfectly fine, including the automatic tranny, but it had 86k on it so based on what I read I changed the timing belt. That went uneventfully. I did take off the battery terminal when I moved the alternator, which I guess reset the ECU and transmission control unit.

The engine runs fine, but my transmission having severe issues!! It will not shift out of second, and it is slipping badly at times and then banging into gear. I can't even get around the block. I heard it might shift a little funny after being reset but this is NOT RIGHT and I am freaking out!!

The only thing I might have done stupidly was start the engine while the motor mount was still out and it was supported by a jack. However, the engine was in its normal position during that time (when I removed the mount it didn't move any at all), and the engine moves around a little anyways so I don't see how this would have caused any real trouble and there were no odd noises or anything. (still shouldn't have done it...)

The only other thing is that I installed an UltraGauge to get MPG off th OBD II connector. But again, I don't see how that could have done anything since it just reads parameters.

Please help!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well I feel really odd now. I took off the positive battery terminal and reconnected it and now everything works perfectly. It's hard to believe that transmission was acting that bad over just some computer issue, and I hope it didn't sustain any damage while I tried to limp it home as it was slipping and banging.

Hopefully this will be a thread others can find if they have similar issues... That was really scary. My rear end puckered (mostly my wallet!)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After playing around with it, it appears to be related to the Ultragauge. After losing power and thus resetting the controllers, starting up the car with the Ultragauge connected is what makes the issue occur. If you hook up the UG after Already driving it once and turning it back off, then it seems to be OK. :confused:

Maybe hooking up to the OBD II plug after the controllers been reset is what you would do if you were going to reprogram it or something? So the tranny was operating without an active program? I have no idea but it sure makes it not work well!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm going through and updating old posts with technical information as I can. The issue here is that the Kia spectra PCM gets very weird when it is queried with non KWP 2000 protocols through the OBDII connector. If you are going to use a gauge on the OBDII port, you must fix the protocol to KWP 2000 or you will have weird issues, like the transmission problem above.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts