Kia Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm new to this forum so please bear with me. I own a 2013 Kia Sorento SX AWD.

On February 23rd I took my car in for an oil change. There were no issues during the oil change, nor for the couple weeks after. I took my car into the dealership on February 25th as I had received a notice that since my state is a "high salt" state, Kia will provide a protective coat to the undercarriage of my vehicle for free.

On March 15th I noticed that my oil light would "blink" occasionally. I started making mental notes of what the pattern was right away. When I was driving under 30mph, stopping, slowing down and not moving (vehicle is in park or at a stop light/sign, etc.) the light would come on for a few seconds and sometimes would stay on for several minutes. It kept getting worse as the days went on, but my oil level was fine. I took it back to the shop that completed the oil change on March 24th. They spent all of three minutes with me, stating the oil is full, drain plug and oil filter are both "tight" and there is no leak and everything is fine. They advised that I needed to have the oil pressure sending unit inspected as well as the sensor for the oil. They stated there was no risk at this time and I that I have well over a week to find a shop or get into the dealership. Incoming stereotype... I'm female, so I listened to them and tried to find someone who had a good reputation. I have had nothing but problems with the dealership since the day I stepped into their showroom.

A few days ago, I noticed oil at the end of the driveway and on the street. It looked like someone was turning around in my driveway and they had a leak. I didn't think it was my vehicle because I was told I did not have a leak... it had only been 3 days since I had it looked at. I parked in my parent driveway today for about 5 minutes. What happens?? A HUGE oil spot. I obviously didn't see it because it was under the car and I wasn't looking for issues with my car. My dad calls an hour later and tells me that my car leaked oil in his driveway. What do I do? What every girl does when someone suggests that she has an oil leak. I checked the oil. BONE DRY... NOT A DROP OF OIL. Dad comes over and puts three quarts of oil in it so I can get across town.

Took it back to the place that completed the oil change. They still claim everything they did is just fine. They spend 20 minutes this time trying to find the leak. All they could find is that it is leaking from the left side of the motor. While I was talking to one I could hear the other two say "It's just pouring oil!!!" These guys were more helpful than the last group that helped. They told me to check with the dealership (UGH), check for recalls and check forums.

So here I am... has anyone experienced this before or have any advice? If I have to go to the dealership, I want to know what I'm talking about. They have screwed me over too many times and don't seem to learn their lessons when I school them on how to do their jobs (thanks to folks like you!).

Sorry this is so lengthy! I've been searching for an hour and obviously need additional help. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
34 Posts
If it's a V6 check the oil filter CAP . If they didn't tigh all the way or if they messed up the rubber oring inside the cap, it will leak only when engine is on.
Check around the cap for oil.
Open the cap , check the oring if they put it in the right place.
There's a video on YouTube showing how to change oil on a V6 . In the video you can see the guy removing the cap and placing the oring in the right spot with new filter.
It's very common for mechanics to put the oring in the wrong place and leak oil every where.
Oil will get stuck in some places around the engine and you will see drops on your driveway for weeks or months even after fixing the leak.

If you have a V4... never mind

·
Registered
444 Posts
Hello,

On February 23rd I took my car in for an oil change. There were no issues during the oil change, nor for the couple weeks after. I took my car into the dealership on February 25th as I had received a notice that since my state is a "high salt" state, Kia will provide a protective coat to the undercarriage of my vehicle for free.

On March 15th I noticed that my oil light would "blink" occasionally. I started making mental notes of what the pattern was right away. When I was driving under 30mph, stopping, slowing down and not moving (vehicle is in park or at a stop light/sign, etc.) the light would come on for a few seconds and sometimes would stay on for several minutes. It kept getting worse as the days went on, but my oil level was fine. I took it back to the shop that completed the oil change on March 24th. They spent all of three minutes with me, stating the oil is full, drain plug and oil filter are both "tight" and there is no leak and everything is fine. They advised that I needed to have the oil pressure sending unit inspected as well as the sensor for the oil. They stated there was no risk at this time and I that I have well over a week to find a shop or get into the dealership. Incoming stereotype... I'm female, so I listened to them and tried to find someone who had a good reputation. I have had nothing but problems with the dealership since the day I stepped into their showroom.

A few days ago, I noticed oil at the end of the driveway and on the street. It looked like someone was turning around in my driveway and they had a leak. I didn't think it was my vehicle because I was told I did not have a leak... it had only been 3 days since I had it looked at. I parked in my parent driveway today for about 5 minutes. What happens?? A HUGE oil spot. I obviously didn't see it because it was under the car and I wasn't looking for issues with my car. My dad calls an hour later and tells me that my car leaked oil in his driveway. What do I do? What every girl does when someone suggests that she has an oil leak. I checked the oil. BONE DRY... NOT A DROP OF OIL. Dad comes over and puts three quarts of oil in it so I can get across town.

Took it back to the place that completed the oil change. They still claim everything they did is just fine. They spend 20 minutes this time trying to find the leak. All they could find is that it is leaking from the left side of the motor. While I was talking to one I could hear the other two say "It's just pouring oil!!!" These guys were more helpful than the last group that helped. They told me to check with the dealership (UGH), check for recalls and check forums.

So here I am... has anyone experienced this before or have any advice? If I have to go to the dealership, I want to know what I'm talking about. They have screwed me over too many times and don't seem to learn their lessons when I school them on how to do their jobs (thanks to folks like you!).

Sorry this is so lengthy! I've been searching for an hour and obviously need additional help. Thanks everyone!
This sounds like the oil pressure sensor, there was either a recall or a technical service bulletin (you should still have warranty so it should be covered) and basically what you exaplined is 100% the symptoms of a leak coming from that sensor, all down to the flickering oil pressure switch and the leak from the left side of the engine.

Side note: I am not a conspiracist, but I too had that recall done and was notified that I had MASSIVE leaks coming from my timing chain cover and from my oil pan. I have not seen 1 drop of oil under my sorento (I have been checking daily) and neither have I seen ANY reduction in oil capacity. Seems odd to me for them to offer this free recall and then suddenly oil is leaking in more than 1 car. Hmm.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for the help. I will take a look at the YouTube video and the car. I appreciate the time and advice you've given me.

·
Registered
664 Posts
These two videos show the oil pressure sensor. First one shows the oil pressure switch from an engine that has been taken out of the car and the second shows someone taking the engine apart to get at the oil pressure switch:

The mechanic in the first video talks about the oil running down the left side of the engine if a problem occurs with the oil pressure switch.

If you didn't notice any oil leaking it may have been doing this for a while

Is yours still under warranty? That would be your best bet. Even though you've not been changing the oil at the dealer, they should still honour your warranty if you're still within the mileage and time limit.

Found a reference to an oil pressure switch here in a TSB: 2013 Kia Sorento TSBs | CarComplaints.com

Says the following but doesn't actually describe details:

TSB #PS-211
NHTSA ID #10044560
Date Announced:
MAY 01 2012
Additional Info:
How to Fix
Summary: KIA: DUE TO DESIGN OF DRAIN HOLES IN VALLEY OF LAMBDA V6 ENGINES, A MISDIAGNOSE OF A POSSIBLE OIL LEAK SOURCE IN REAR MAIN SEAL OR OIL PAN, WHEN ACTUAL LEAKS COMING FROM ENGINE VALLEY,OIL FILTER HOUSING, OIL PRESSURE SWITCH, AND/OR GASKET

I'll check if I've had mine done...I think I did.

You can call KIA customer service and ask if there's a recall on the oil pressure switch and when it was issued. If you've been at the dealer after it was issued, they should have checked for outstanding service bulletins.

Unfortunately, it may be better for you to go with your dad to the dealer. Sucks. Be assertive.

Good luck.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Could also be from the oil filter housing as it's on the top left of the engine.

With the oil still leaking you can tell if it's the filter housing or not. If no more leak maybe the oil change place did something to fix their mistake.

Make sure to check and keep the oil at a good level.

Hopefully there was still some lubrication left and no damage occurred.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Found the repair order that had the oil pressure switch replaced. FYI, I was not actually sent a recall or TSB as with other TSBs or recalls. For this one, the dealer did this after looking it up for my Sorento. The repair order says:

Code:
Complaint:   Some vehicles may exhibit an oil leak from the oil pressure 
             switch - Sedona 130044R0 .7 Sorento 130A05R0 .7
Cause:       Rubber washer in the switch may shrink in cold temperatures
Correction:  Replace oil pressure switch with an improved design
The part number used for the new oil pressure switch was 9475037100QQK.

This was done in december of 2013.

·
Registered
8 Posts
These two videos show the oil pressure sensor. First one shows the oil pressure switch from an engine that has been taken out of the car and the second shows someone taking the engine apart to get at the oil pressure switch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3-9vNyTByo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IucDSPfZqGE

The mechanic in the first video talks about the oil running down the left side of the engine if a problem occurs with the oil pressure switch.

If you didn't notice any oil leaking it may have been doing this for a while

Is yours still under warranty? That would be your best bet. Even though you've not been changing the oil at the dealer, they should still honour your warranty if you're still within the mileage and time limit.

Found a reference to an oil pressure switch here in a TSB: 2013 Kia Sorento TSBs | CarComplaints.com

Says the following but doesn't actually describe details:

TSB #PS-211
NHTSA ID #10044560
Date Announced:
MAY 01 2012
Additional Info:
How to Fix
Summary: KIA: DUE TO DESIGN OF DRAIN HOLES IN VALLEY OF LAMBDA V6 ENGINES, A MISDIAGNOSE OF A POSSIBLE OIL LEAK SOURCE IN REAR MAIN SEAL OR OIL PAN, WHEN ACTUAL LEAKS COMING FROM ENGINE VALLEY,OIL FILTER HOUSING, OIL PRESSURE SWITCH, AND/OR GASKET

I'll check if I've had mine done...I think I did.

You can call KIA customer service and ask if there's a recall on the oil pressure switch and when it was issued. If you've been at the dealer after it was issued, they should have checked for outstanding service bulletins.

Unfortunately, it may be better for you to go with your dad to the dealer. Sucks. Be assertive.

Good luck.
I just replaced mine about 2 weeks ago.
http://www.kia-forums.com/2011-2013-xm-sorento-forum/274890-2012-3-5-oil-pressure-sensor.html

·
Registered
4 Posts
This repair was only recalled on Canadian cars. Contacted Kia after being told it was going to cost 898.00 to fix the oil pressure switch, gasket, and harness. Kia refuses to a knowledge the American part is just as defective as the Canadian piece. 2013 Kia sorento. Pass this along I am certain there are enough people to have Kia faced with another class action law suit for defective parts.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Oil Pressure Sensor replace x 3

:|Hi.

Canadian. 2011 Kia Sorento 6cyl. Oil pressure sensor blown for the 3rd time. I purchased the vehicle used in 2015. I'm being charged 600 bucks per replacement. Based on my investigations, its clear this is a known issue. I understand that there was a service bulletin on this issue back in the day, but I'm unclear as to what this really means.

a) Is my mechanic ripping me off? See the complexity of the repair, but I'm unsure if $600 is the actual cost.

b) is there some more permanent fix out there? This is the third replaced sensor in 18 months.

And assistance you smart people could offer would be helpful. Even if its: suck it up buttercup. At least I would know that this is an issue with poor design by Kia and not me getting ripped off by my mechanic (Who I've trusted but...this is the third gosh-darn time...heavens to betsy...not my preferred language...)

·
Registered
1 Posts
2012 V6 Sorento, noticed oil drips by the mailbox and a little on the garage floor (oil level was fine).
Then a couple days later the light started flickering. Called the dealer and they said "bring it in right away, when it goes IT GOES". Headed out to the garage to go drop it off and the floor looked like a crime scene (oil rather than blood).
Topped off the oil and grabbed a couple quarts for the road and ran it over to the dealer. Left a nice pool of oil in there parking lot as well.

Just assumed that it would be a recall or warranty item based on their knowing exactly what the issue was when we called. But nope, no recall and not covered under warranty (even though the Hyundai equivalent model DID have a recall from what I read). When I found out what it was and WHERE it was located (buried under the intake manifold), my first thought was an engineer somewhere needed to be fired!! $300 repair for a $15 sending unit that is pretty much guaranteed to fail at least twice in it's life-time.

Of course now that it is nearing the end of it's 100k mile warranty, 2 of the last 3 times the oil has been changed (by the dealer mind you) we have ended up with a minor oil leak. First time it happened we took it in thinking it was the sending unit going bad again. Nope, paid them $65 to be told $800 to fix it because the oil filter canister needs to be replaced??? Luckily the first incident did stop on it's own, now this last time (changed 1,000 miles ago) it came back leaking, and is still leaking (just enough to be annoying). Reminded them that they have been the only one's that have ever changed oil on it. Response was "it happens". Have been keeping an eye on it, still shows full on the stick. No response when I e-mailed them with my complaint.

Will be shopping for a new vehicle this Summer and will be sure to stop by Kia to "look", just so I can voice my displeasure one last time before turning to my wife with a "let's go see what Toyota has".

·
Registered
27 Posts
I replaced my 11 year old leaky sensor on my 07 Sedona with a 9475037100QQK. It only lasted 4 weeks before leaking again and no warranty since I put it in myself. The "QQK" is a discounted part code for the TSB and only cost $5 so I ordered 2 this time to have a spare. It is still much cheaper than having it put in.

If the new sensor leaks, is there a pressure relief valve I should be looking into?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Why so much t chane the oil filter canister? It looks like its not to hard to change...What am I missing?

2012 V6 Sorento, noticed oil drips by the mailbox and a little on the garage floor (oil level was fine).
Then a couple days later the light started flickering. Called the dealer and they said "bring it in right away, when it goes IT GOES". Headed out to the garage to go drop it off and the floor looked like a crime scene (oil rather than blood).
Topped off the oil and grabbed a couple quarts for the road and ran it over to the dealer. Left a nice pool of oil in there parking lot as well.

Just assumed that it would be a recall or warranty item based on their knowing exactly what the issue was when we called. But nope, no recall and not covered under warranty (even though the Hyundai equivalent model DID have a recall from what I read). When I found out what it was and WHERE it was located (buried under the intake manifold), my first thought was an engineer somewhere needed to be fired!! $300 repair for a $15 sending unit that is pretty much guaranteed to fail at least twice in it's life-time.

Of course now that it is nearing the end of it's 100k mile warranty, 2 of the last 3 times the oil has been changed (by the dealer mind you) we have ended up with a minor oil leak. First time it happened we took it in thinking it was the sending unit going bad again. Nope, paid them $65 to be told $800 to fix it because the oil filter canister needs to be replaced??? Luckily the first incident did stop on it's own, now this last time (changed 1,000 miles ago) it came back leaking, and is still leaking (just enough to be annoying). Reminded them that they have been the only one's that have ever changed oil on it. Response was "it happens". Have been keeping an eye on it, still shows full on the stick. No response when I e-mailed them with my complaint.

Will be shopping for a new vehicle this Summer and will be sure to stop by Kia to "look", just so I can voice my displeasure one last time before turning to my wife with a "let's go see what Toyota has".

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello,

I had the same thing happen with my 2013 Sorento with the v6. I had the leaking oil pressure switch replaced, at the cost of $600, that is where the leak was on mine, not the rear seal, which most mechanics will say. I see there are many claims of Sorentos having engine failure, and there being no oil in the engine...so of course, the driver is blamed. I hope to see a recall on the pressure switch, and those, like you and me can get their car fixed or reimbursed, if you already did so.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

I am having this EXACT same problem! I have seen 2 mechanics and they thought that it was the rear main seal. I had that replaced and it’s still pouring oil. It’s been in the shop 3 weeks and they still don’t know why it is pouring oil! I would love to know if they can figure out the problem for you!!!

·
Super Moderator
9,486 Posts
I am having this EXACT same problem! I have seen 2 mechanics and they thought that it was the rear main seal. I had that replaced and it’s still pouring oil. It’s been in the shop 3 weeks and they still don’t know why it is pouring oil! I would love to know if they can figure out the problem for you!!!
Using the below link, please add location and vehicle (year & model) to your signature
With the recent forum platform change, the location and vehicle details in your profile no longer show in each post.

eg.
USA
2019 Sportage 2.7L V6 SX turbo AWD

https://www.kia-forums.com/account/signature

https://www.kia-forums.com/threads/forum-rules.27240/

Tip: after updating your info, hit “like” on this post, and it will serve as a prompt to remove it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts