Kia Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sorento SX, 2005 Saab 9-2x Aero
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just bought a 2012 Kia Sorento SX for my wife which came with Kia's keyless entry and ignition system.

I was curious, if we bought another Kia with the same system (e.g. an Optima), would it be possible to setup a single keyfob to work with both cars? That way, we could just walk out to the garage and pick whichever car we wanted to drive without worrying about having the right set of keys or not.

I also noticed Hyundai's keyfobs look identical to Kias. Is it possible to setup the keyfobs between the two in a similar manner?

·
Registered
Cerato
691 Posts
I would think not. You might be able to program the cars to operate with the same fob (Note, change one of the cars, rather than re-program the fob), but that's not what you asked.

One problem with any dual system would be the remote lock/unlock which has quite a long range. Which car would open?

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 12 Sedona LX
1,412 Posts
The smart keys can only be programmed to one vehicle. Unlike the RKE transmitters, instead of just having the vehicle learn the code from the transmitter, the smart keys also have the vehicle info "burned" into them as well. Once they are programmed to vehicle, they belong to it for life.

·
Registered
Cerato
691 Posts
Or you could both just carry both fobs.
Now that's just fobbing off the original question.

Being serious now for a brief moment, I like keyless entry. It's especially good for the fairer sex who otherwise have to raid the dreaded handbag to get the keys.

I don't find it a major issue to carry fobs for two cars on the same key-ring.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts