Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So was looking through the Kia Tech info site and noticed this service bulletin. It's for "Plastic Tick or Snap Noise from Center Console Area Over Bumps", which I hear all the time.
I have attached the pdf of the bulletin.

I have been able to lift the center console up but cannot remove it as I need to remove the shift knob first. I have tried to unscrew the shift knob, but its not moving. Does anyone know for sure how to remove the shift knob????

Attachments

·
Memorial Super Moderator
2005 Kia Cerato LD [2L petrol] manual, 1986 Nissan Pulsar hatch
2,861 Posts
Thanks for bringing this TSB to forum members attention, I will make a sticky of it for you so it stays on the top of the forum. Unfortunately I don't know the answer for the gear knob removal. I'm sure someone on the forums will have removed one already and know for sure. :cool:

·
Registered
2011 Sorento LX I4 FWD Auto
97 Posts
Thanks for bringing this TSB to forum members attention, I will make a sticky of it for you so it stays on the top of the forum. Unfortunately I don't know the answer for the gear knob removal. I'm sure someone on the forums will have removed one already and know for sure. :cool:
When I purchased my new Kia Sorento back in February I noticed an irritating rattle or creak in the console area surrounding the shifter level leading up to the area below the radio. The next weekend, I went back to the dealer, they drove it an agreed that the problem was the plastic section I mentioned. They've been trying to get a replacement part delivered to the dealership ever since with no success. If there are no replacement parts available from a vehicle assembled in Georgia, what happens when something major needs replaced. I'll go back with the TSB if the part doesn't come in soon. I'm guessing later versions the part was updated after the fact.

·
Registered
97 Posts
When I purchased my new Kia Sorento back in February I noticed an irritating rattle or creak in the console area surrounding the shifter level leading up to the area below the radio. The next weekend, I went back to the dealer, they drove it an agreed that the problem was the plastic section I mentioned. They've been trying to get a replacement part delivered to the dealership ever since with no success. If there are no replacement parts available from a vehicle assembled in Georgia, what happens when something major needs replaced. I'll go back with the TSB if the part doesn't come in soon. I'm guessing later versions the part was updated after the fact.
UPDATE:

After 2 months, the console section finally came in. As you might imagine, I was tired of hearing that thing creak and crack in a brand new car. I drove to the dealer, 30 miles away, relieved that this was finally going to go away.
When they pulled the Sorento in the shop, I decided to go check out how the technician removes the shifter knob in order to remove the console part. I'd examined it before and saw no visible way to detach the knob from the shifter rod. The guy looked at it with a puzzled glance, scratched his head and said he would have to look it up on the computer. Meanwhile I looked at the new part and noticed the 2 tabs mentioned in the TSB were wrapped in a velcro material to solve the creaking. The tech came back with a small screwdriver and tried to pry the knob apart, hoping there was a screw under the chrome section that might release the knob. I told him if he breaks it, I'll have to wait another 2 months for a replacement plus the drive there and back. He told me there was nothing in the computer on how to remove the knob on an auto only info for a manual. He called over another technician who decided to jump in and start prying even harder with a screwdriver. I decided it was best to go back in the waiting room and express my concerns with the service department person.
When I went back to check on my car, I noticed the new console part in place and the knob was gone. The tech told me they damaged it (big surprise) and would pull one from a new sorento on the lot so I wouldn't have to make a return trip and wait on a replacement.
Mine is an LX and they put on a leather one from a EX! Oh well, free ugrade.
The other tech told me he had gone back to the computer and looked up "lever". There was the instructions for the knob removal. What you do is simply jerk upward on it and it releases similar to removing an air tool from air line quick disconnect.
Can't wait to see what happens when I return someday for the bad lamps TSB.
:eek:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UPDATE:

After 2 months, the console section finally came in. As you might imagine, I was tired of hearing that thing creak and crack in a brand new car. I drove to the dealer, 30 miles away, relieved that this was finally going to go away.
When they pulled the Sorento in the shop, I decided to go check out how the technician removes the shifter knob in order to remove the console part. I'd examined it before and saw no visible way to detach the knob from the shifter rod. The guy looked at it with a puzzled glance, scratched his head and said he would have to look it up on the computer. Meanwhile I looked at the new part and noticed the 2 tabs mentioned in the TSB were wrapped in a velcro material to solve the creaking. The tech came back with a small screwdriver and tried to pry the knob apart, hoping there was a screw under the chrome section that might release the knob. I told him if he breaks it, I'll have to wait another 2 months for a replacement plus the drive there and back. He told me there was nothing in the computer on how to remove the knob on an auto only info for a manual. He called over another technician who decided to jump in and start prying even harder with a screwdriver. I decided it was best to go back in the waiting room and express my concerns withe the service department person.
When I went back to check on my car, I noticed the new console part in place and the knob was gone. The tech told me they damaged it (big surprise) and would pull one from a new sorento on the lot so I wouldn't have to make a return trip and wait on a replacement.
Mine is an LX and they put on a leather one from a EX! Oh well, free ugrade.
The other tech told me he had gone back to the computer and looked up "lever". There was the instructions for the knob removal. What you do is simply jerk upward on it and it releases similar to removing an air tool from air line quick disconnect.
Can't wait to see what happens when I return someday for the bad lamps TSB.
:eek:
I cant believe they damaged it!!!!!
Gonna try removing it later today, hope it works

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD Black/Black Leather, 2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid
87 Posts
I tried pulling up slowing on the shift knob, but had no luck in removing it. Maybe I'm not doing it correctly.

Looks like I'll be letting the dealership take care of this one.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I tried pulling up slowing on the shift knob, but had no luck in removing it. Maybe I'm not doing it correctly.

Looks like I'll be letting the dealership take care of this one.
What you do is simply jerk upward on it and it releases similar to removing an air tool from air line quick disconnect

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD Black/Black Leather, 2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid
87 Posts
^ I didn't do that, but I understand it. I guess I'm reluctant to try only because I'm not certain about the proper upward jerking force that should be applied. Seems to me that done improperly could or not the correct removing procedure could screw up the shifter pretty good.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Pull harder as you can... thats the way to remove it.... i just removed it by myself to

change my sound system.... its an inside clip who hold the shifter

·
Registered
2011 Sorento LX 4cyl AWD 2012 Sorento EX V6
148 Posts
The Kia manual for how to install the lighting kit has a couple of diagrams and instructions (below)

It basically says to put it in drive and pull up using hands only (not tools).

"Place vehicle on flat level surface, set parking brake. Insert key into
ignition and turn to "ON" position, place shift lever into "drive"
position. Using hands, apply upward pressure on the shift knob to
remove as shown in picture.

NOTE

Carefully dislodge bezel covering shifter and cup holder by gently
lifting panel by pulling straight up at the locations denoted above
with your hand as shown in picture. Disconnect two pin connector
underneath bezel (Fig. 1). Place shifter back into "Park" position &
remove key from ignition.

Store shift knob in a clean, safe area DO NOT START VEHICLE! Careful not to damage panel or harness when performing this step.
Store in a clean, safe area"

·
Registered
2010+ XM Sorento Platnium, Titanium Silver
109 Posts
May explain why the cover of the gear shift was b roken after I had Bluetooth installed.

They would have had to pull on the lever to extract it, so as to remove the various bits and pieces around the console.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento LX AWD 4cylinder
45 Posts
So was looking through the Kia Tech info site and noticed this service bulletin. It's for "Plastic Tick or Snap Noise from Center Console Area Over Bumps", which I hear all the time.
I have attached the pdf of the bulletin.

I have been able to lift the center console up but cannot remove it as I need to remove the shift knob first. I have tried to unscrew the shift knob, but its not moving. Does anyone know for sure how to remove the shift knob????

Is anyone having the noise problem on builds after Feb 2010? Our build is Sept 2011 and I'm having the problem :( Thanks Dorothy

·
Registered
Sorento EX V6 AWD
11 Posts
I have been getting ticking noises from the center console area as well. Mostly over bumpy roads, and I have been able to identify the source. The rubber liner on the storage area right in front of the shifter is where it is coming from. The adhesive that is holding the rubber liner down is coming loose. If I press down on the rubber liner you can tell that it isn't down tight and you can hear the noise of the rubber liner pulling away. Under normal circumstances the noise isn't real loud or constant but it is very annoying. I am taking mine in for an oil change in a few weeks and will have them reattach it better.

There is also some rattling going on in the doors, specifically around the trim near the door handle. I'm not sure what the deal is on that one.

·
Registered
2017 Sorento SX+ V6 AWD - 2016 SX+ V6 AWD (crashed) - 2014 SX V6 AWD (sold) - 2011 EX V6 AWD (sold)
369 Posts
Is anyone having the noise problem on builds after Feb 2010? Our build is Sept 2011 and I'm having the problem :( Thanks Dorothy
Yours is for next year so (2011) ;) Mine was built in June 2010 and had this noise problem. I went to the dealer and the mentioned TSB had been applied.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento SX FWD
60 Posts
Our Sorento SX did not have this problem until this morning when it was very cold... just as is stated in the TSB! I'll see if I can apply this fix this weekend and post pics.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento I4 EX 2WD
34 Posts
My Sept 2010 US built EX I4 had a rattle from the console when ambient dropped below 50F

I dis-assembled per the bulletin, there was a piece of thin felt over the offending lug. I wrapped a single layer of self adhesive velcro (furry piece) and the lug is now a snug fit in its socket.

No noises now. But it was very annoying after you first hear it and I could never explain why I heard on the way to work some mornings but never on the way home.....

·
Registered
'11 Kia Sorento EX, '03 Mustang Mach 1, '02 F150 Harley, '88 Mustang LX Conv, '69 Mustang CJ
18 Posts
Ours has had it since the weather got cold. When I called the dealer to schedule the recall for the door lighting, I asked that this service bulletin be addressed also. When I dropped it off, I gave the service adviser the TSB copy. When returned after 6 hours, they informed me that the TSB did not apply to my production date, so they did not address. Still makes the noise. So I will now complete the TSB repair that the dealer says doesn't apply. These vehicles are very nice, but the dealer network leaves alot to be desired.

·
Registered
'11 Kia Sorento, '08 Beetle Convertible
6 Posts
I have the annoying tick in the center console... just leased my sorento lx 12/31/10. Do not know my build date because my sorento is in shop becuase it "turns off" 5 seconds after starting... posting this issue in separate topic. I will call them Monday AM to inquire about the anoying rattle/tick.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento LX 6MT
47 Posts
I'm happy to report that my Sorento LX (built December 13 2010) had no cracking/tick yesterday morning at -25C/-13F and that all the way to work and back !

1 - 20 of 52 Posts