Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:mellow: Hello everyone.
I was wondering. What problems have you had with your car and what were they?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have had numerous problems with my 2000 Kia Sephia. The most recent being the chugging of the engine. I have had it in the garage 3 times now and spent over $400 for them to tell me it is fixed but yet when I get in it to drive it the engine starts chuggging again. They are all just frustrated and can't figure out the problem since everything in the negine checks out just fine and the fuel filter is good too. I have to bring it back again since they need to figure out what the problem is and it is really starting to get old.

·
Registered
1995 Kia Sephia
62 Posts
I have KIA SEPHIA 1994 end of 1995 156000 km, everything is ok and runs good. so dont worry and drive with pleasure

·
Registered
5 Posts
I purchased a 1999 Kia Sephia that had approximately 25,000 miles on it. Now at 88,800 I have had no problems except for the heat shield on the bottom which rattled like crazy, so I took it off.

I just put new tires on it, switched out the tranny fluid, flused the radiator and it runs like new.

I hope it stays this way...I need this little car to get me to at least 150,000 miles. I've heard that they can run up to 200,000 with proper maintenance.

~Cleopa

·
Registered
126 Posts
To Sephia owner, I own a 1999 Sephia that I bought when it was just five years old from production date. I had a problem getting through emmissions here in CT but that was the testing peoples fault(bad software or no software) not my car's fault. I have had some problems with the exhaust heat shields rattling and I have fixed them up with variously sized hose clamps and exhaust clamps(5-6 I think). I replaced the timing belt myself at 58,000 miles and it was fairly easy using a DOHC locking tool(can provide more info if needed). Actually the belt probably would have gone to 100,000 miles, but not much more, I kept it as a spare!(I had to mark what direction it had been turning). The engind revs up like no car I've eveer owned. It is a bit balky at low RPM's but this is to be expected what with the multi-valve setup and large intake runners. It was built to rev!I have no power steering and that is great EXCEPT at low speed pulling in and out of parking spaces. I got a nice steering wheel cover that increases wheel diameter and grip.Well I guess that's about it. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,116 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
My 2001 Kia Sephia/LS also has that rattling heat shield. Is it safe and inspetable to have the heat shield removed? If so I may consider having it removed. I only hear mine rattle when I shift from P to D or D to R, however, people look at me like WOW, what wrong with you car...nothing really..it just sounds obnoxious.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The brakes were a big problem early on. They would warp repeatedly until Kia provided a new style disc and pads. Since then, no problems.

An A/C hose started to leak and the exhaust system rusted out sooner than I thought it would.

The rearview mirror rattled, which I fixed by running some electrical tape around the inside of the bracket and sliding the mirror back on the mount.

Rear door weather stripping would come loose til I recently glued it in place.

Front door factory speakers are garbage. After 2 replacements due to blown coils, got nice aftermarket ones that sound great.

Quality-wise, it's not in the same league as Toyota or Honda, but I like the car despite the little annoyances. Later year Kia models I believe are much better.

65K miles and counting.

·
Premium Member
6,116 Posts
[/QUOTE]The brakes were a big problem early on. They would warp repeatedly until Kia provided a new style disc and pads. Since then, no problems.

An A/C hose started to leak and the exhaust system rusted out sooner than I thought it would.

The rearview mirror rattled, which I fixed by running some electrical tape around the inside of the bracket and sliding the mirror back on the mount.

Rear door weather stripping would come loose til I recently glued it in place.

Front door factory speakers are garbage. After 2 replacements due to blown coils, got nice aftermarket ones that sound great.

Quality-wise, it's not in the same league as Toyota or Honda, but I like the car despite the little annoyances. Later year Kia models I believe are much better.
1. Stock rotors 00 and before sucked. I went drilled and slotted rotors. They are awsome with ebc redstuff pads.
2. A/C I dont have on my sephia. When my exhaust stared to rust I got a custom 2 1/4" cat back system with high flow cat. Nice sounding also.

3. my rearview fell off due to my sound system LOL.

4. My front windshield rubber stripping half off it flew off while driving and started banging on my windsheild.

I dont complain about the little things all cars have those.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
126 Posts
To fellow owner: you can secure the heat shield with a large hose type clamp but one that is too big for any auto hose. Try a marine supply specialty store or even a well stocked hardware store. You might have some lick with 2&1/2" muffler clamps and bending the shield or cutting out a slot to accomadate the muffler clamp. It worked for me. speedster1 :)

·
Registered
126 Posts
To 1fastkia, you mentioned that earlier Kia's had premature brake warpage and the like i.e.brake oroblems. What year did these prolems go away? Any ideas even guesses? Thank you, speedster1 :(

·
Premium Member
6,116 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
:( My 2001 Sephia that I just purchased 2 months ago is having brake problems. When I initially bought the car there was some sound and noise coming from the brakes. I asked the dealer to check the brakes, they were new. I also had my mechanic check the brakes and he said they were new as well. There is still some noise and sound, but by the feel of the brakes now they will need to be replaced soon. I think they wear too fast.

What brand of brakes/rotors do you recommend to correct this problem. I don't want to bring this car in and out of the shop all the time...

Thanks for you're help :grin:

·
Registered
107 Posts
My Kia Sephia 2000 LS has been great, when I first got it as a hand me down (when my sister got a Toyota Corolla S, man those cars are pretty nice!) the spark plugs were severely worn so ti would barely rev up half way and kept misfiring really bad until I put in new Bosch Platinum 4+ plugs, performance was nice the the stock intake system sucked, so I replaced it.

(tried about 6 different variations until I stuck with my current one. Man the airflow is LOUD! It only has about a 30 degree bend by the throttle body. I didn't realise how much the two 90 degree bends in the stock rubber hosing limited it. I also didn't know mow much weight the stock system took and how much space it took up.)

I replaced the front speakers (thinking aobut getting a few 120 Watters int he back for temperary until I gen get some heavier duty ones. The back speakers aren't too bad once you upgrade your battery cables and clean the abttery terminals. The breaks sucked when I got it, I had to bleed the breaks and put on a silicon hose for the break bleed pipe (the stock hose kept too much air in the breaklines). I also lightened the car which helps alot. I plan on wrapping the radiator pipes, the exaust and the intake pipes with header wrap. I want the heat of the radiator and exaust pipes to stay in while the cooler air of the intake stays in and doesn't heat up.

I have some questions for you 1FastKia.

1. How are the new rotors and breaks? Right now I am using stock rotors and breaks on my Kia Sephia 2000 LS. I havent had a problem with breaking Since I had to replace the stock air bleed tube (which helps alot) and bleed the breaks. They need to be bled again though. Just curious, do you notice much of a difference in stopping power and/or brake peddle stiffness?

2. How do you get rid of that darn belt squealing, I oiled the gears with some synthetic oil which helped and tightened the belts (which helped ALOT) but every rare once in a while it will squeak, and when some idiot turns on the a/c (after I tell them NOT TO! since it really kills the performance and the belts squeal!), Its obnoxious, I am planning on having them replaced.

3. Was replacing the exaust system hard? Also will a regular jack be fine when replacing the exaust? I plan on replacing the exaust manifold and muffler. Also is there a higher flowing Cat converter that is Legal to use in california?

4. I also had the rear view mirror vibrate wildly when I blair my system. I installed 240Watt Pioneer 6.5" speakers. Those things pound! Gonna replace the 6x9s in the back. How do you get the front door speakers to stop rattling the door? I already minimized a good amount of it, but it still sounds ghetto when the doors vibrate, last thing my car needs is to sound like some wannabe Honda Ricer's car (yes, I know one, hondas are like hair, everyone has atleast one, if not many).

5. what else would be recommended besides the exaust work, new belt pully, new motor mounts, and new carb (I might get that ported head and new cams but I would rather have someone install that since I don't have any experience with headwork)?

6. do you know how to decrease the heat int he carb? Because the carb gets pretty darn hot with the stock gasket, I put on 3 heatsinks on top to take away some of the heat. But I think I would benefit from a cooler carb.

7. Do you know where I can get (or modify) a new aftermarket radiator/fans for my car? I want better cooling. I also want to know how to set up another oil cooler, or if possible to replace the stock oil cooler with a few better ones. I also plan on adding 2 or 3 oil filters to keep the engine cleaner as well.

8. Where is the fuel filter located? Do you know of any good aftermarket fuel injectors and how to dienguage the fuel pressure?

So far those are my plans. I want to really modify the heck out of the car, next time someone says my Kia sucks, ill make them think twice (and maybe convince my sister that Kias can be pretty darn good if you know how to modify them.

also a note. If the breaks feel like they are bad but have plenty of graphite on them, then bleed the lines and have the stock bleed pipe (hooks up the the carb) replaced with a silicon one since the stock oen kept too much air into the lines. I tested it with the stock and the new hoses and made a couple of runs and found out the hose replacement helps alot. If you don't know what I am talking about, I will take a picture.

G

·
I have put four now going on five brand new belts in the last month or so and every single one has squealed when the fan is turned on. Why does it do that?

·
Registered
27 Posts
well, ive had my 97 for about 2 years now, & in that time i have had to replace the water pump, the cd player (which was not working when i bought it), the timing belt, the break pads & one of the rotors, one of the tires, the fan belt twice (&btw, michgil, ive had the same problem with the fan belts sqeaking...i dont know what it is either) the muffler, & now the entire block of the engine. there are/have been a few other cosmetic repairs but most of those where my fault (i tend to lock my keys in the car alot & get really mad about it) alot of these repairs, especially the engine were because its my first car & i didnt really know how to care for a used car properly at first. oh well you live, you drive, you learn right?

·
Registered
2 Posts
They sent me a postcard on my `99 about the brake problems I think it was in late 2000. They've always been fairly good about letting us know about recalls and the like in a fairly expediant manner.

~Cae

1 - 20 of 28 Posts