Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2001 KIA SPORTAGE 2WD
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have 2001 Sportage with 138000 miles on her, been a great vehicle & reliable. It starting running really sluggish, check engine light will flash at higher rpm`s, codes showed misfiring on all cylinders. Replaced plugs,wires,& coils; same problem. Friend put it on diagnostic machine at his father`s shop & told me the Ignition misfire sensor was bad. Checked online & all the parts houses sell them, so got one from Rock Auto, but don`t have a clue where it`s located, can`t find any info on the web (except the part for sale), friends Dad`s shop doesn`t work on imports so they had no clue.
Anybody know where it might be so I can get her fixed & running smooth again?
Thank You

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,694 Posts
You are being misled... what exactly do you have?

Is is a knock sensor, or a CAM angle sensor?
OR!

Not having worked on imports is a poor excuse, as all engines work the same, especially OBDII compliant

... Philip

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,694 Posts
What diagnostics have you run??

Verified engine timing (static)?
Verified CAT not collapsed??
Verified fuel pressure up to spec???
Verified Vacuum is 19-21hg" at idle????
Run the basic OBDII diagnostic tests?????

Please list the particulars of the engine... Philip

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Greetings,

You stated you got the part from RockAuto -

posting the Brand/Name/Part # of the item purchased may help us to point you to the part location,

Regards,
GottaCruise

·
Registered
2001 KIA SPORTAGE 2WD
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2001 KIA SPORTAGE 2.0L L4 : Ignition : Ignition Misfire Sensor Price
STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # AS239 {Click Info Link for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers} Intermotor; Blade Terminals; Terminal Gender: Male; Direct OE Replacement; Number of Terminals: 3; Mounting Location: External; Connector Gender: Female
This is from Rock Auto
And this is from O`Rileys

BWD - Ignition Misfire Sensor
Part # EC7000
Line: BWD

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Ok, thanks for the part #'s ..

--
I checked as best I could, did not find those parts being applicable to the 2001 Kia Sportage - closest match I found was for the 1.8 Kia Sephia motor, cross-referenced by (KIA OEM) part # from RockAuto, via (google)..

--
+1 and agree w/ Philip: (multiple) misfire codes present generally indicates a (physical / mechanical) issue, and -not- a sensor issue,

Causes of multiple misfire include failed pre-Cat. converter / restriction in exhaust system,

Incorrect physical (static) timing / jumped or failing timing belt,

--
I would check w/ your friend, and see what the -exact- OBDII DTC codes were, that may help, if in-fact a sensor issue,

* But would advise to check static timing and exhaust for restriction also - driving with a blocked pre-Cat converter can/will eventually overheat -> damage the motor ..

If unable to get the DTC codes, consider purchasing a low-cost ODBII Data Scanner, so you can read the codes and view real-time parameters from the ECM (laptop/USB example in my sig.)

Regards,
GottaCruise

·
Registered
2001 KIA SPORTAGE 2WD
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank You for the info. I had to replace the battery this morning, so bought a ODBII reader also(don`t own laptop, or I would have gotten the Data Scanner for sure). Check engine light came on within the first mile, pulled over and checked for code,PO303, engine misfiring on cylinder 3. Now I`m really confused, as it went from multiple codes to just this one. Guess I`ll make sure plug is gapped properly & check spark plug wire.
Thank You again, guess I got took on buying the sensor.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Would also recommend checking the short HT lead on that coil pack ( 2/3 ) - there should be a resistor in-line on the short lead, and it should measure approx. 5k Ohm resistance (4.9 - 5.1 range) ,

Spark plug wire #3 should measure approx. 3k Ohms, IIRC ..

* Since you have already serviced plugs/wires, you probably know about the short pigtail lead that connects to the back motor <-> the coil packs: any cracking on the coil pack connector ends or visible wear or oil on the pigtail lead, recommend (replacing it),

Any oil at the spark plug wells s/b soaked up w/ paper towels before removing the spark plug, if oil is present, consider any plugs / wires badly coated w/ oil suspect, and provision to check both coil packs and to replace the valve cover gasket ... (Common issue w/ Sporty 2.0L motors leaking oil into plug wells #3 and #4 ..)

--
Best wishes for a speedy repair,
GottaCruise

1 - 8 of 8 Posts