Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some spots on the rear hatch where it looks like rust water is seeping out from inside and staining the paint. I'm sure I can get the staining off with a clay bar, and I'm also sure that the panel around the licence plate is plastic, but has anyone else encountered this? I haven't opened the interior plastic panel yet to investigate.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
72 Posts
Oh no! And on an '18?!? This does not bode well. My 2015 is red so rust would be less obvious, but I will check.

If it were just the plastic panel I would wonder whether the attaching screws were rusting, but the spot next to the backup light seems particularly ominous.

I see you are in Ottawa: higher salt use in winter?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very high salt use, especially this winter. I will open up the interior panel one day to see what's rusting when it's a little warmer outside.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update: The dealer found that the screws that hold the chrome trim piece were rusting. They replaced the 2 screws and put lacquer on them to prevent rusting.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Lacquer?! I would rather replace them with stainless screws. Lowe's carry metric fasteners.

I have my fair share of rust belt living. Glad I'm on the Gulf Coast. All I have to worry about melting in this scorching heat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
5 Participants
Volfy
Kia Forum
Kia Forums is a community dedicated to all Kia models. Come discuss the Kia Sorento, Rio, Sportage, Soul and more!
Full Forum Listing