Discussion Starter #1
Sedona Auto 2.9 o2 plate.

Hi

How reliable is the Turbo unit?

When I start the car first thing I allow it to idle for around 2 min
is this the right thing to do?

How reliable is the auto box. I was speaking to gentleman today who said
that I should at least once a month at low speed put the transmission into
2 & L, (on hold) for a couple of miles, this would keep the box in tip top condition
any truth in this?

I have been told mine is a Merc' engine, does anyone know what other Kia or non-Kia vehicle this engine goes into?
Seacam

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Modern turbos are water cooled, so the allowing to heat up/cool down is not quite as required, just give it a few seconds for the oil to get pumping and drive it fairly gentley till the water temp starts moving.
If you've been using the turbo a lot, I'd always recommend a 30 sec idle prior to switching off to allow the turbine to spin down.

No real need to use the lower gears like that, the gears get used regardless when your accelerating.

No idea where the Merc engine idea has come from, theres no evidence on any engine part to say so.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello,

Thankyou for your reply and the advice on the turbo and transmission, this is my first diesel and I'm on a steep learning curve.

I did not make myself clear on one of my questions, that being

When I start the engine first thing in the morning, I allow the engine to idle for around 2 min before moving gently off, do you think that is enough time to allow the engine to warm up, do I need to or should I be giving it longer?
Seacam

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
2 minutes is more than enough, imho to much.
I'd say 15 secs is enough, then drive gently until temp gauge moves up the scale, no quicker way to warm an engine than put it under load by driving it.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello,
Thanks for your advice on engine starting, points taken.

In your reply to my Mercedes engine post you used the letters sae
what do they stand for?
Many thanks
Seacam

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello,

The fuel gauge in my car is just about touching empty.

Ive done this deliberately so when I next fill up with a full tank I can get a resonable estimate on what my car is doing to the gallon around London.

Some where in the hand book it says a warning lamp should light up when it time to refill, should this happen before it hits empty or on it.
Seacam

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Pretty much on empty.
But DO NOT run out of diesel!

Quickest way to get a mpg figure, brim the tank, do 100 miles, and brim again, nice simple calculation.

·
Registered
391 Posts
what happens if you actually run out of diesel?

when you let your car idle for 2 minutes I assume you still take it easy for the first 5-10 miles as a car idling on a driveway will only warm up the oil and water - you need to warm the whole car up before you start flooring it. I start and reverse out the drive and go... and just let it run for about 30 seconds on stopping if I have been flooring it (as even if it is a diesel bus it is still fun to drive) drive the last couple of miles slower so that I do not have to wait the suggested 2 minutes for the turbo to relax. ( I still don't understand with all this technology these days that the turbo cannot sort itself out when you switch the engine off)

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Running out of diesel in a modern common rail car is a BIG no no, sometimes you can get away with it, but often damage will occur to the fuel system, and that is NOT cheap!

You are right clartsonly, there is a way in this day and age to sort turbos out, but it costs money, add that to a few hundred thousand cars per year and cost sky rockets! But turbo timers are available, and I'm fairly sure an electric oil circulation pump could be effective.
The turbo is such a simple device in effect, only 1 moving part, if just needs a good oil supply! and modern ones are much better as they are water cooled, I've owned turbos for many years now, used to have one that was oil cooled only, you had to be religous with warm up cool down on that!

Simple tips, don't thrash engine when cold, if you know your stopping, drive gently for last mile or so before coming to a stop, and allow to idle for 30 secs before switching off, should see you ok.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hello,

Did you mean what to do in the event one runs out of diesel? ( apart from finding a filling station ), or the damage caused if one does.
Seacam

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hello,

So ok, don't run out of diesel is the order of the day but if one did I thought it was a case, albeit a messy one, of bleeding the system altho' I accept you don't want to be doing that on the hard sholder or anywhere for that matter, I didn't know other damage could be done.

I'm a little confused is it, drive gently before end of journey allowing turbo to cool
or idling for 2 minutes at end of journey before turning off, is it either/or, or which method is best?

Thanks for the advice on the foot rails, do they have to be Kia's own, any idear how much? or are there other brands to be had?, are there specific fixing points?
Seacam

·
Registered
391 Posts
I think your driving style depends on the times to stop and start. no-one wants to sit in the office car park for 2 minutes with the engine running so drive the last mile or so a little easier to reduce the turbo pressure (I assume) therefore only needing to idle for 30 seconds instead of 1 or 2 minutes as written in the manual. I don't know why you want to warm the car up before driving on the driveway just start and go but take it easy till it is warmed up properly (which you should always do in any car IMO).. in the old days I was always told not to leave a car idling on a driveway for very long before driving it.. can't remember why.. maybe something to do with the coil or maybe that the car thinks it is warmed up even though the whole engine, gearbox etc isn't...

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hello,

You, Murphwiz and others are dealing with my inexperience when it come to diesels.

I no longer leave my car idling for a few minutes before starting off at 6.30am in the morning, much, no doubt, to the relief of my neighbours, I just take things gently for the first few miles.

The last part of my journey on a work day back into London involves travelling at a snails pace that no doubt will allow the turbo to cool.
seacam

1 - 17 of 17 Posts