Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am considering building a quality, custom CAI for my 05 Sedona and in the early design stage. Has anyone done this or know of a link with pictures?
Initially, before I go to a full-blown CAI and replace the stock airbox, I am considering a drop-in K&N and somehow re-routing the air tube on the outide of the stock airbox to a colder area under the hood. Any thoughts, advice or experience?
Also, can anyone recommend a performance muffler? I'd like something more free-flowing, louder (deep tone ) than stock, but not too buzzy...family car and all... :D
THANKS!

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,127 Posts
flowmaster for a nice muffler... as for the sedona intake not sure I havent checked out the motor as of yet..... But I think if you do it you will be the first to intake a sedona.

·
Registered
'04 Kia Sedona EX, '10 MBZ C300 Sport, 1.3KW Electric GoCart
109 Posts
There was another post where the person removed the intake pipe that crosses over the radiator. The idea behind the crossover pipe is to get colder air from the left front of the engine compartment. The person that removed the pipe claimed higher mpg.

This got me to look at the intake track. The crossover pipe appears to serve two puposes, the colder air from the left front side and some sort of noise cancellation. There is an extra chamber attached to the crossover pipe.

If you just take the pipe off, your engine will just suck very hot air from the radiator fan located just below the stock air box. By removing the crossover pipe, the intake noise is not very much louder than stock.

For myself, I purchased a universal, intake pipe from the AutoZone store. It is a hard flexible tubing that can keep it's shape how ever you bend it. The attachment to the air box is via a very nice vinyl/rubber sleeve that slips perfectly onto the airbox intake. The stock hose clamp can even be reused.

I then routed the flex pipe down to the plastic shield below the frame/bumper. I cut a hole into the shield, and I mounted a flange over the hole and attached the flex pipe. The flange was an accessory to the intake tube found at the AutoZone.

To aerodynamically force air up into the intake hole, which is now parallel to the ground, I used a 4" drainage pipe cap and cut about 1/3 off of material off of the side. This made a scoop that was bolted to the shield below the my new intake hole.

I didn't take any pictures, but I will and will post them later.

There could be some trade offs, the intake is now getting true outside air, but some enthusiasts do not like the flex pipe because the internal surface is not smooth which could cause turbulance. But the stock crossover tube intake is still inside of the engine compartment, also, there are 3 90 degree bends in the structure to route it over the radiator. Since heat rises, the tube is always in a hot spot.

I can't feel any real improvement with the gas pedal, I will monitor my mpg to see if it changes in the next few tanks.

I may put a drop-in K&N too.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I know for one from looking that if you're looking to find one out there, there aren't any, anything you do will have to be made. The stock pickup, at least on the 04 ran over across the radiator. The only purpose of that was to silence the intake. If you look at where it picks up, compared to where the box sets, they both are behind the radiator with the tube being maybe about an inch higher. As you know, hot air rises, so where it picks up air from, since it is still sitting behind the radiator, is not any different from where the box itself would pick up. I myself, removed that from the get go, dropped in a K&N filter, and placed a 90 degree elbow and a short piece of aluminum intake pipe and ran straight down to pick up from under the vehicle. As Rob said, the flexible tubing is easier to work with, but the ridges cause turbulence. If you want to get custom you would be best to remove the box and all stock intake, replace with aluminum and route down to the front drivers side with a cone filter.

I would still like to get a diesel hood and run it to the scoop.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I have contacted SCC superchips to see if they do a chip for it, unfortunately they dont although, they do a "tuning box" £450 which will improve power, torque and more impressivly fuel economy, if my car ever works for more than a month without needing to be returned to the dealers I will look into it, I think I will benefit from the fuel economy after about 3 months.

it is an additional box which connects to the ECU to adjust timing, turbo boost and a couple of other things. apparently when these cars are mass produced they are adjusted to the lowest common denominators and some can be tuned better than others. the good thing about the tuning box is you can remove it yourself before taking the car to the dealer for servicing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow...all very good ideas. Thanks very much. Yep, I'd like to see pics of how you replaced that intake tube...it's very tight under there! :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All great ideas. Post pics. :)
One thing I thought of with the stock intake being on the passenger side is it's right near the belts, which are "blowing" air around constantly. Maybe it's a bit cooler there than anywhere else?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts