Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Attempted a Timing Belt Change today on my Kia Sedona 2.9 TD. I carried out the steps as per the Workshop Manual, but got a problem when trying to remove the lower cover for the Timing Belt. So far, I've done the following:

Raise and Support Vehicle
Remove Driver Side (right hand drive) front wheel
Remove Top Radiator Hose
Remove Coolant Expansion tank (to allow more space to move Fuel Filter)
Remove bolts holding in Fuel Filter (pipes still attached)
Move Fuel Filter to the area previous occupied by Coolant expansion tank
Remove top cover for Timing Belt
Removed Alternator Belt
Removed Water Pump Pulley
Removed Crank Pulley
Remover bolt from bottom timing cover

Having got to this stage, it was apparent that the bottom cover for the timing belt would not come out without removing the alternator belt adjusting wheel, and idler wheel. However, these are held in by a star bolt on each of the wheels, which I am having trouble undoing.
Is it necessary to remove these wheels (doesn't seem to mention in the Workshop manual), and if so, does anybody have any tips on removing them.

Many Thanks in advance for any info.

Dan

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
This is a pig of a job, complete lack of room to move in the engine bay! as you probably found out in trying to remove water pump pulley!
One accpeted method is to carefully cut the cover in the right places, and remove in 3 bits.
Aiming to fold the injection pump cover across out the way to the right, dropping bottom part of, and then wiggling left hand part out from behind idler pulley.
Don;t forget to lock injection pump up, using 2 of the longer timing cover bolts through the pump pulley.
And above all, good luck!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Dansime!
You are a brave man!
I took mine to the garage for a timing belt change about 6 weeks ago. Authorized Kia work shop. Still took the guy a full days work and I was helping him for the last 2 hrs to get everything back in place. Hmmm, maybe thats why it took so long... :blink: . And he had all the right tools.
I know, and I am sure this is not in the manual, that he for some very tight steps dismounted the right hand side engine mounts and lifted the left side of the engine slightly. Maybe 50 mm. This improved the working space drastically. The alternator belt adjusting wheel, and idler wheel have to come off. Buy the right tool and there is no problem in taking the star bolts out.
A little tip is to change the alternator belt at the same time. Saves a lot of work, and doesn't cost very much.

And good luck! :thumbsup:

T :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Many thanks for the help on this.

Got the belt changed last weekend....still a pig of a job, took most of the day, but glad it's done now.

Thanks again.

Dan

·
Registered
1 Posts
Could someone please let me know the timing belt tension as the only tension I have got is in hertz. The gauge I use is either pounds or kgs per sq inch. Any info would be appreciated

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am planning to replace my timing belt soon, Kia shop wants $650 + parts, so I will be doing this myself.

My question, for those who have done it. As long as you are replacing the timing belt, what other components should you replace in the same repair? (water pump, belt tensioner, etc?)

Ralph

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Adjust the auto-tensioner, and then tighten it.

Align the pointer to the back plate by rotating the special washer in counter-clockwise using the hexagon wrench as shown illust.

Tighten the auto-tensioner lock bolt with holding the special washer by the hexagon wrench when the pointer is aligned with the back plate.
Tightening torque: 17.4lb-ft (23.5N·m , 2.4kg-m)

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
all 2.9 sedona diesels have basically the same procedure, tensioners and belt legnth changed slightly depending on year.

By removing both engine and gearbox mount you can get a bit more room to do the job.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi all i,m new to kia, i really fancied one and finally got a sedona 2.9diesel 1999. great space , get in and out easy, and comfy. trouble is i haven't had a chance to drive her far as we had a knocking sound when she warmed up.we think fault is teeth on oil pump worn away,ordered new oil pump [can't get spocket bit on it's own!!] but to get a book on it is murder so dansime where did you get yours please as we were told we could get one on the engine from our local kia dealer one minute and then they couldn't get it after all and they wont give you any technical help either from a mechanic or a manual. so if anyone could help as to how to get hold of a manual or even cd i'd be gratefull. regards annita.

·
Registered
Sedona 2.9 DOHC 16vTDI (02)
7 Posts
Sedona 2.9 TDI Alternator

Trying to fit an alternator on my 2.9TDI Sedona. I've got the old one off with out loosening the belt but now I need the tensioner loose to refit the alternator. Can you tell me is it the star bolt i can see from in the wheel arch?
If so where can i get the tool to undo it ???
I have a Star key that fits but can't get no leverage on it.
Thanks
Gaff...:mad:

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
19mm spanner is all you need on the serp belt tensioner, ignore the star, put a spanner on and pull to de-tension spring.

·
Registered
Sedona 2.9 DOHC 16vTDI (02)
7 Posts
Thanks Murphwiz worked it out on sunday,"Those guys at kia just put the star on there to test us" . Got it all back togeter in about 1 hour.
Thanks.
Gaff557...:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts