Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We bought our 2012 Sedona in October '12. I've founds several annoyances but one of biggest is the third row headrests.

I did a search for this problem and did see one other complaint but no resolution. Surely we're not the only ones who've noticed this...

The position they are in, they stick out away from the seat back about 3-4 inches. This makes them horribly uncomfortable for my boys. There are holes behind the slots they fit in. I took them out and put them in that area and they actually fit nice and flush with the seat - that seems like where they should be but then you lose the function of being able to raise and lower them as well as them not being secured.

It looks like there should be a way to move the designated mount area back into those open slots. I called a local dealer and he said they've had numerous complaints but there's no fix. Surely he's wrong. It's a horrible design. All the pictures I've looked at on the Kia site show them flush against the seat but they are also in the lowered position so I'm wondering if the mount was positioned in the back holes or if they had just placed the headrest into the back holes for the appearance of the pictures.

Anyone have a solution shy of just removing them? Anyone else noticed this problem?

Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra -- 2006 Grand Cheorkee limted Hemi.
4,426 Posts
The dealership told you Kia does not have a fix for this. He can't redesign your headrests for you. Is there people sitting in the rear seat? If not, I just take them off if I were you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually another dealership was very nice and willing to take a look at them to see if there is a solution. Yes, my children are back there everyday and having to deal with this so it is a real issue for us. Thanks!

·
Registered
Sedona 2011, LX model
56 Posts
3rd row headrests

Take off the back seat panel and use a two heavy plastic cinch ties to hold the release latch down...that way the headrest is always in the "free float" mode. The latch you want to cinch down has a hole in it, You can find it by pulling the strap , folding down the seat back and watching the action. Latch it down and headrest will always freely move back and forth. This probably sounds completely confusing...just study the action (as you pull the strap and fold down the seat back) ...and you'll figure it out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Take off the back seat panel and use a two heavy plastic cinch ties to hold the release latch down...that way the headrest is always in the "free float" mode. The latch you want to cinch down has a hole in it, You can find it by pulling the strap , folding down the seat back and watching the action. Latch it down and headrest will always freely move back and forth. This probably sounds completely confusing...just study the action (as you pull the strap and fold down the seat back) ...and you'll figure it out.
Thanks jcoast! We will give that a try. The only thing the dealership was able to say was that even taking the headrests out wouldn't work because that was part of the mechanism for the stowing of the seats. They agreed it was a horrible design. As far as your instructions do you leave the headrests in and by tying down the part that pulls them to the back position or do you leave them out?

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
Are the 2012 headrests different than the 06 model?

·
Registered
Sedona 2011, LX model
56 Posts
3rd Row Headresta

I left the headrests in (2011 model). The lever I cinched down is inside and towards the top. Remove the back seat panel, pull strap and close seat...you'll see this lever actuated when seat back is close to being fully stowed. The headrests need to "float" for seatback to be fully recessed (flat stowage). Use a couple heavy plastic ties to secure the lever in the down position. This works for me

1 - 7 of 7 Posts